Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2020, 10:10 AM - 16 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best Ten Images of 2020

We are coming to the end of another year. Honestly, it has been a rough year from a photography standpoint for me. I have a lot of snaps of my kids, but not a whole lot of travel. At the same time, the last few years I have started a thread (or someone else has) that has offered an opportunity to showcase your best images from the last year.

The number 10 is a bit of an arbitrary number. Feel free to go a bit over that if you have a few extra or to go under if you don't feel there are ten images worthy of showcasing. The goal is to share with others what you liked best from the last year.

And with that, I'll share the ones I came up with.

Road at Dawn (FA 31 limited)

Horse Farm at Dawn (FA 31 limited)

Tree at Dawn (DFA 24-70mm)

Grain at Dawn (FA 31 limited)

Hay Bales Before Dawn (FA 31 limited)

Please feel free to share whatever images strike you -- I have shared landscapes because that is a lot of what I shoot, but you can go any direction with this.

Edit: It has been suggested to divide your ten photos into two posts. I have dropped my extra five into a post below.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-31-2020 at 03:10 PM.
12-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Great set of photos. Itís really interesting to try to decide which were the best shots of a whole year. I think itís a big step towards getting better. Maybe Iíll have a try. I donít know how many of them are that good, but itís the effort that matters here. Nice idea and thanks for sharing. Btw I love the look of the 15ltd
12-31-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Best Ten Images of 2020
Remember the forum suggestion of no more than five images per post...

Added: Apparently there is some misunderstanding. I am at fault for not being explicit on providing the explanation or conventional solution. The explanation is that each page of a thread has a fixed number of posts. Increasing the number of images per post slows the page load time for end users, particularly those with slower Internet connections and/or less powerful devices. As such, there is a suggestion of maximum 5 images per post.

The conventional solution for photo sharing threads that often feature multiple images per post is that rather than doing a "flood", one simply makes several posts. For this thread, that means two posts with five images each. It is a small thing that that improves browsing experience for all viewing the page. For @normhead and others, sorry for the confusion.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-03-2021 at 06:58 PM.
12-31-2020, 12:51 PM - 12 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Seemed like tradition and it is in the title, but the Mods can weigh in if they feel differently.

Top Ten for 2019

Top Ten for 2018

Top 12 for 2017

Favorite Images 2016

Top Ten for 2015

Top Ten for 2014

Top Ten 2013

Edit: As per the suggestion below, I have divided my images into two posts. Here are the other five.

Kiawah Sunrise (DFA *70-200)

Antietam Before Sunrise (DFA 24-70mm)

Country Road (DA 15 limited)

Railroad Tracks at Sunrise (DFA 24-70mm)

Cattle at Dawn (DFA *70-200mm)

Last edited by Rondec; 12-31-2020 at 03:11 PM.
12-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Great Shots.I love particularly #3.

Thank you for sharing.
12-31-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I think this is a great idea for a thread and as has been mentioned before has been done previous years.Any reason why the 10 canít be spread over two posts?

Iíll dig through my Flickr and post my selection soon.
12-31-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Any reason why the 10 can’t be spread over two posts?
That is what I generally do. Page length is X number of posts and limiting images per post aids page load speed.

Added: I too think it is a great idea.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-31-2020 at 03:49 PM.
12-31-2020, 03:43 PM - 14 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for starting the thread Rondec, and posting some beautiful photos. This is always a hard choicebut here's my first five in no particular order

In September we went through North Carolina waterfall country, thius is the rapids right above Soco Falls

This one was just a couple weeks ago in Holly Shelter Game Lands, morning sky just before the sun rose

Before the sunrise at Topsail Beach in October

Sunrise over the swamp at Holly Shelter just two days ago

Hunter's Moon rising over the sand dunes on Topsail Island

12-31-2020, 03:50 PM - 13 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now for the second five

These Royal Terns seemed to be harmonizing while one seemed to be almost choking on a fish, while the Willet looked away

Female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on my wife's hanging flowers

Sunset at the south tip of Topsail Island

Silhouette on the Topsail Island sand dunes to catch the beautiful evening twilight sky

Pearson's Falls, from the waterfall side-trip
12-31-2020, 05:56 PM - 13 Likes   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

quite the year....

photographically, 2020 was a growth year for me - I started experimenting beyond what I could do with the K-mount and M42 lenses, first with the Adaptist Project, then with a move to a new camera system....

first five for me:

12-31-2020, 05:56 PM - 15 Likes   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and the second batch (yeah, I know it's six; I had to include the last one)

01-01-2021, 03:27 AM - 14 Likes   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for maintaining the tradition Vincent. And a wonderful set of images to kick it off.

@Ramseybuckeye - no wonder you have a hard time choosing, Tom - you have posted so many gems this year. Every one of these is stellar. I'll single out the terns because it has a comedic quality and because it is the sole representative of your many fine bird images.

@pepperberry farm; - another great set. Inspiring to see such an accomplished photographer still pushing into new things.

Like many others, I haven't done any travel beyond a day trip this year, so these 10 (split into two posts) are all taken close to home (or at home), in country Victoria, Australia. All with the KP. In chronological order.

1. Australian Jewel Spider, Cape Liptrap Coastal Park. Magic happening in the bokeh, as the DA 20-40 Limited turns another of the spiky aliens into coloured lights.

2. Nooramunga Marine and Coastal Park, Port Albert. I have come to love the DA 20-40.

3. Common Brushtail Possum in our yard. Taken one-handed with the DA 55-300mm PLM, using my Godox TT350P (triggered by an on-camera XPro-P) held at arm's length in the other.

4. An everyday vista from our property, made special by the light. DA 18-135.

5. Romola, one of our friendly resident Grey Shrike-thrush. Sigma 400mm f5.6 tele macro.

Last edited by Des; 01-01-2021 at 01:23 PM.
01-01-2021, 03:28 AM - 15 Likes   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

6. Morning fog shrouding Corner Inlet. D FA 100mm f2.8 macro WR, two images stitched.

7. Male Emu and chick, Wilson's Promontory NP. (The males do all the rearing of the chicks.) DA 55-300 PLM.

8. Little Corella. DA 55-300 PLM. (Very nice bokeh for a consumer zoom.)

9. Ainsley Falls on the Tarwin River (west branch). DA 20-40 Ltd.

10. Varied Sword-grass Brown Butterfly, Cape Liptrap CP. DA 55-300 PLM. (You can see a drop of nectar in the proboscis.)

Thanks to all the PF members for sharing their insights, knowledge, humour and great images - it helped me through a difficult year. Best wishes to all of you for 2021.
01-01-2021, 03:38 AM - 12 Likes   #14
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

This is always hard to choose, but I do like this yearly look back at what I've done. I happened to have nice split to 5 landscape and 5 portrait orientations, so that's the way I'm going to split my posts. Photographically this year brought my M series primes in Single In Challenge project to end. It took me excatly 3 years to shoot 17 M series primes first in APSC and then in FF. It actually went faster than I thought, cause I ended keeping only 2 months off from daily shooting. Without the challenge I probably wouldn't have shot much due to lack of travelling. It seems I'm an opportunist type of shooter and waiting that perfect weather to some well known spot just ain't my thing.

01-01-2021, 03:41 AM - 14 Likes   #15
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Part 2: