Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2021, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in February 2021

Welcome everyone to the Single In February 2021 challenge!

Theme days:

Wednesday, 3rd February: GOLDEN HOUR

Wednesday, 10th February: CHAOS

Sunday, 21st February: B/SELFIES

Wednesday, 24th February: PORTRAIT

Aim of the Game: To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images

01-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lens TBD... but I'm in....
01-24-2021, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm in with the KP and the DA 40 XS. I took the combination out this weekend to test, and I'm excited.
01-24-2021, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I'm in; probably with the GR III again.

01-25-2021, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The theme on 10th will be easy, I'll just shoot what's on my desk...
01-25-2021, 02:15 AM   #6
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, yes, I'm in. Can't wait for February to start. I'll go with DFA*85/1.4 and might even take a shot or two stopped down, but wide open is so sweet it's hard to let go.

01-25-2021, 02:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in, no idea on lens yet, time to bust out the K3 and 70mm perhaps

01-25-2021, 04:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I'm in with the KP and the DA 40 XS.
A great lens on any camera.

I won't be in, but I'll be following.
01-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

In of course.

DA21 of course

(You have another eleven months to put up with xP )
01-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #10

I'm in. The plan was to use the Tair 11A 135mm lens, but I've I've used lenses between 85 and 135 for the last four SIC, so I may go wide. Either the Sigma 24/1.8 or the Vivitar 17/3.5
01-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

are we still on for a w i d e month?

I know I have an SMC A 15mm f3.5 that needs a SIC running....
01-25-2021, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I learned a few things in January, I'm in for February too. Maybe I'll pick up on something next month as well!

I'm leaning towards the SMC-K 120mm, but might change my mind.
01-25-2021, 04:53 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. I'm very much looking forward to a month getting to know my GR ii better.
01-25-2021, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure If I will play the game or not. I will be shooting but single lens constraints could make it a long year. But I’m leaving a comment to follow the thread.
01-26-2021, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
are we still on for a w i d e month?

I know I have an SMC A 15mm f3.5 that needs a SIC running....
Wide month for me, I have only taken half a dozen test shots with my 15mm limited so far and the suspense/restraint is killing me

---------- Post added 01-26-21 at 02:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
In of course.

DA21 of course

(You have another eleven months to put up with xP )
Gee, that will be a real hardship 😁😁😁😁😁 I love the 21mm

---------- Post added 01-26-21 at 02:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Yes, yes, I'm in. Can't wait for February to start. I'll go with DFA*85/1.4 and might even take a shot or two stopped down, but wide open is so sweet it's hard to let go.
I can sense the excitement We should have got you a calendar so you could count down the days until the 85mm f1.4 takes over I can't wait to see what you get, your results from general lenses are superb so the 85mm in your hands should be EPIC