Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2021, 02:40 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extension tubes as far - as I understand it - don’t technically change focal length. Tc and macro lenses added to the front both do, but I get your point. The hd da tc alters reported focal length as well. It gets weird.

On the other hand adding a tc to a telephoto lens is not very uncommon and is a legit way to get to 250mm. I would rather see actual combined focal length used with tc since it is a common practice. It won’t affect me likely but it might others.

However whatever the rules end up that’s what we will do.

01-26-2021, 03:20 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would rather see actual combined focal length used with tc since it is a common practice. It won’t affect me likely but it might others.
That's what I would support as well - a lens with a TC is a new optical system, sometimes with fairly different character. It doesn't really matter though.
01-26-2021, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #33
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From what I gather, TC use won't be an issue until October or possibly not even until November. So until then, lets leave it as an open question and I'll make a final ruling closer to the time (but still with plenty of time for folks to take new pictures)
01-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
From what I gather, TC use won't be an issue until October or possibly not even until November. So until then, lets leave it as an open question and I'll make a final ruling closer to the time (but still with plenty of time for folks to take new pictures)
it should probably be the same ruling for macro tubes and close up lenses which both can alter the characteristics. Reversing the lens would also be in this conversation. These options could come earlier

01-26-2021, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #35
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
it should probably be the same ruling for macro tubes and close up lenses which both can alter the characteristics. Reversing the lens would also be in this conversation. These options could come earlier
Neither extension tubes nor reversing a lens add any glass to the setup. So I have no problem with either - they are simply ways to exploit the characteristics of the lens. However a TC or the addition of close up filters does add glass to the setup and thus in my view, change the setup so it is no longer a reflection of just the lens. So I would exclude them at this point, but I'm open to a continued discussion.
01-26-2021, 06:25 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Neither extension tubes nor reversing a lens add any glass to the setup. So I have no problem with either - they are simply ways to exploit the characteristics of the lens. However a TC or the addition of close up filters does add glass to the setup and thus in my view, change the setup so it is no longer a reflection of just the lens. So I would exclude them at this point, but I'm open to a continued discussion.
that seems like a reasonable solution and it's your comp
01-26-2021, 06:35 PM   #37
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
that seems like a reasonable solution and it's your comp
Definitely trying to be reasonable.

Never thought of this as my comp. It was an idea I had that Adam has encouraged that I hope to make something this community finds of value.

06-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
Just to verify that I understand the rules correctly, a 50mm Macro lens is not eligible in this, correct?
And this can be any brand of 50mm lens?

Last edited by Phyllis; 06-16-2021 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added another question; 2nd edit, clarification
06-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #39
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
Just to verify that I understand the rules correctly, a 50mm Macro lens is not eligible in this, correct?And this can be any brand of 50mm lens?
A 50mm Macro lens is fine for this round.
Any brand of lens is fine, as long as the photo was taken on a Pentax/Ricoh camera
06-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #40

Photos: Albums
A 50mm Macro lens is fine for this round.
Any brand of lens is fine, as long as the photo was taken on a Pentax/Ricoh camera
Ok thanks so much for clarifying this info. The forum is still kinda new to me as I don’t post often, mainly lurk and learn. To which there is such a vast amount of knowledge on here, it blows my mind and I can read for hours. I really enjoy it!