Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #16
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
One week in, we have some fantastic entries. Thanks to all who have embraced this contest idea. I would encourage others to enter. For those who have entered, if you haven't already, please do include a few comments on the special aspects you are trying to show off with the image. This is a contest where you are allowed to "hype" things up a bit. I'm certainly seeing some images taken that I wouldn't have thought to try myself and that was one of my main thoughts behind showcasing lenses this way.

02-07-2021, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
One week in, we have some fantastic entries. Thanks to all who have embraced this contest idea. I would encourage others to enter. For those who have entered, if you haven't already, please do include a few comments on the special aspects you are trying to show off with the image. This is a contest where you are allowed to "hype" things up a bit. I'm certainly seeing some images taken that I wouldn't have thought to try myself and that was one of my main thoughts behind showcasing lenses this way.
In my case, I bought the Pentax-M 20mm f/4 pancake because of its size - I seldom plan my shots, instead exploring more or less aimlessly wherever I go, and I like walking around with just some light kit particularly around cities (which is where ultrawides can shine the most, IMHO, with how well they play with architecture), so a small lens was kinda mandatory for me.

But what impressed me most is that the lens is good. Even if you don't consider the size, it's a sharp ultrawide with interesting 10-point sunstars, somewhat decent flare resistance, there's no IQ degradation until the very corners and distortion is not really bad... but if you consider how all of that is packed into little more than a body cap, then I can't help but wonder how they managed to make this thing. It's gotten me pictures I wouldn't ever have made without it, just because I wouldn't have carried a bigger "better" lens.
02-07-2021, 05:33 PM - 15 Likes   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This one is a long exposure for the light trails and finish up with the Zoom-burst at the end.
Doing a zoom burst here is the whole reason I get myself the DA10-17 after being addicted to DA15 and 21 for years.
It will take DA15 2 or better say 3 images stitch to get everything from the traffic below to the top of the skyscraper from where I stand.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 03-14-2021 at 11:59 PM.
02-08-2021, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
This one is a long exposure for the light trails and finish up with the Zoom-burst at the end.
Doing a zoom burst here is the whole reason I get myself the DA10-17 after being addicted to DA15 and 21 for years.
It will take DA15 2 or better say 3 images stitch to get everything from the traffic below to the top of the skyscraper from where I stand.
Ouch, this is really making it tempting to get an UWA zoom. Outstanding shot.

02-08-2021, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Here is my entry. This was shot with the K-1 and the Laowa 12mm F2.8, one of my favourite third-party lenses ever tested. It's the closest to an FA Limited I've ever seen outside of Pentax.

The image was shot at St-Jean-Port-Joli, on the south shore of the St-Lawrence river north of Quebec city. The 12mm let me bring in a lot of detail from that wide scene.

02-08-2021, 09:41 AM - 4 Likes   #21

Nipigon River Suspension Bridge

The area around the Bridge which connects East with Western Canada is limited with the river coming down to a narrows and you need a wide lense (DA 10-17mm) to capture the whole structure. The Nipigon River which is the only thing left out of the photo is the largest tributary into Lake Superior; the Largest lake by surface in the world. The other bridge in the background is the Canadian Pacific Railway's Main Line Bridge again connecting East with Western Canada fits in with the Fisheye as well at 10mm . The fisheye DA 10-17mm gives the bridge which is photographed so much that the paint is being worn off a completely different & unique prospective as to its size and location in the river valley.

Last edited by pentaxic; 02-11-2021 at 03:58 PM.
02-09-2021, 12:47 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will nominate the Samyang 8mm 1:3.5 UMC Fish-Eye CS II for this category.
It handles flare really well, is very sharp and if you carefully position the horizon in the frame it is quite capable to produce nice landscape pictures.
But the main reason to nominate this lens is it's capability to capture the whole room in one shot no matter how thight the space and although beeing a fish-eye the distortions are not that bad if you are carefull with your framing.

edit: merged from 9 images, no defishing applied.

edit: 1 of the 9 single images for illustration

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by othar; 02-09-2021 at 03:45 PM.
02-12-2021, 02:12 AM - 4 Likes   #23

Hello, Im new to photography and new in the Pentax community. What's best way to get feedback about my results is to enter a contest, right?
Yesterday drove out of city to find some darkness. City lights still affected the image but i think it's quite cool.
Anyway, shot with K-3 and Sigma 18-35mm 1:1.8 DC HSM.

Last edited by jjussif77; 02-12-2021 at 02:44 AM.
02-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's the closest to an FA Limited I've ever seen outside of Pentax.
It is a bit big to be a FA limited, but otherwise I agree it is a very nice lens.
02-12-2021, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that I am a bit more with it (that was a rough few weeks with work). I tracked down an image that I think shows off an actual ultra wide the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The Frank Schott old stone barn out by Chokio, MN. I got to drive back in the rain
Name:  OldBarn2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  377.1 KB
02-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #26
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Almost two weeks in and we have some excellent entries. Thanks to all who have submitted. Many of these images have shown me some new ideas about taking photographs, which is one thing I was hoping would come out of it. There's still plenty of time to enter. Even if you don't, feel free to like the images you think show something special about a lens.
02-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjussif77 Quote
Hello, Im new to photography and new in the Pentax community. What's best way to get feedback about my results is to enter a contest, right?
Yesterday drove out of city to find some darkness. City lights still affected the image but i think it's quite cool.
Anyway, shot with K-3 and Sigma 18-35mm 1:1.8 DC HSM.
The single in and daily in groups are a good way to get feedback.

Also post my photos section works.
02-13-2021, 11:58 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The single in and daily in groups are a good way to get feedback.

Also post my photos section works.
Thanks. I will look into it.
02-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #29
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just one week to go - so if you've been thinking about your lenses that have something special, now is the time to show it off (if they are in the 20 and under FL range - if not think about entries for future months).

Whether you enter or not, please take the time to look at the other entries and give a thumbs up to the ones you like.
02-22-2021, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #30

Sigma 15mm 1:2.8 EX DG Fisheye

Taken last night, weather was great focusing took a while because the markings on my lens are useless. Guess its a love hate relationship with this lens. The focus needs to adjusted -10, the markings as mentioned are useless (gonna fix that) but the AF is quick, i get a whole lot on frame if i want to, its fast, resonable sharp and i can go up close and which might anoy people well seeing all this i guess its more love then hate and it is one of my go to lenses for waking up all dogs in the neighborhood
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo