Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2021, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #360 - The Milky Way over Somerset Dam

G'Day everyone,

Thank you to Wiley B for hosting PP Challenge #359 and the opportunity to work on a HDR image.

Well done to those who took up the challenge the variety of submissions as ever a highlight of this wee corner of the forums.

For this challenge I wanted to get away from a landscape style image and was going down the path of something involving sports or people but went with this astro landscape. Here's a straight jpeg export of the image.

The DNG and a full size jpeg have been uploaded here:My Files

This is a 20s exposure at ISO 3200 so there's some noise in that thar image. Good luck, I hope this is a challenge you will all enjoy.

It's early evening on Monday here in DingoLand so I'll look to run this challenge for a week, which puts us to the evening of 15 Feb GMT +10.

Tas

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

02-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is a week too short?

Hi,

As the start date was a Monday, do you think an extra couple of days will help with this challenge?

Tas
02-09-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll have the first try at this one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-09-2021, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Beautiful photo! Here's mine.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-10-2021, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is my stab at this.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-10-2021, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Working from home has some perks. This was a good excuse to avoid productivity at work this morning. Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-11-2021, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Serial PP challenge lurker having a first crack.....

02-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Serial PP challenge lurker having a first crack.....
Glad to have you join us mate. If I'd known you were coming along I'd have found a Newcastle image for the challenge.

Tas
02-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Glad to have you join us mate. If I'd known you were coming along I'd have found a Newcastle image for the challenge.

Tas
Thanks! All good. Newcastle images are a dime a dozen in my library so happy to go elsewhere, variety being the spice of life and all that
02-12-2021, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's mine, added a reflection.

Last edited by tuggie76; 06-07-2021 at 06:25 PM.
02-13-2021, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My try with a little more foreground. Used RawTherapee 5.8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-13-2021, 04:38 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
G'day everyone,

A bit of a slow start to this one, hopefully it wasn't due to the choice of image, however once the posts started it's been a steady build since then with 8 challengers to date.

I'm glad you 8 have thrown your hat into the ring with this image as it's not an easy image to work with though when you work out some of the right approaches to PP the Milky Way it can pop quite nicely even through some light pollution as is the case here (the yellow colour caste on the horizon, most notable in the cloud in the lower right), means you have to work more to bring the Milky Way out. Thankfully contemporary PP software makes masking/painting so simple.

With this turnout I will stick with plan A which is to run this challenge for about a week which means there's about a day and a half before I pull the shutters on this Milky Way Landscape challenge.

All the best everyone, will 'see' you all again in a wee bit.

Tas
02-14-2021, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

As something I have never done before I didn't really know how to bring out the best in pictures of the Milky Way so I went a different route and thought I would have a go at adding an Aurora. I used an image I had taken previously by playing about with light and added it to the base image in photoshop, along with a reflection in the water. Then processed to my liking back in Capture One, played about with exposure and colour balance mainly.

Name:  MilkyWaylight 1.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  165.9 KB
02-15-2021, 03:27 AM   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
PP Challenge #360 is now closed

G’day Everyone,

Thank you for taking on PP Challenge #360, I hope you enjoyed giving this subject a go.

I expected this image would be a difficult challenge for anyone who’s not post processed a nightscape / Milky Way image, especially one captured with some light pollution present.

Despite this we had enough challengers to make this challenge work, so this one is now closed, and I offer some feedback and my nomination for the host off PP Challenge #361.

mariwalt. I like the blue tones in the sky here, the cooler look removes the impact of the yellow tones present in the cloud.

jmacias. This is the sort of crop I would do to remove the foreshore. The shorter frame lets more of the distant hills to come to the fore. There’s actually quite a bit of detail in them thar hills.

stevejo. A darker more constrasty version that highlights the Milky Way with the potential light and colour drawn out best in the challenge.

tmlawes. A subdued and subtle version that lets the stars pop most in the frame.

Michail_P. A change of colour again with the oranges more to the red end of the spectrum and a dark sky as a backdrop drawing out some ofthe colour and luminance in the Milky Way. The lights of Kilcoy (centre bottom over the horizon) look like a car about to crest a hill at night.

Grimmus. A lighter representation of the scene with some really nice warm colours coming through in the Milky Way.

tuggie76. Magenta rules and draws out some of the lighter sections of the Milky Way nicely. It’s interesting to see a number of the versions drawing out the magentas and purples that aren’t so apparent in the RAW image.

ThorSanchez. I really like the water and distant hills on the right here. They’ve been brought up nicely from the shadows and if you’ve not tried it crop the flat ground back to the waterline, I think that would work nicely. The reflection in the water is a cool touch.

graeme83. And last but not least the wild greens of the aurora add to a Milky Way brought out well with the warm tones add contrast to the strong greens. The green in the water works well to create a sense of reality.

For this round my top three are stevejo, graeme83 and Grimmus as they were able to draw the most out of the Milky Way.

So for the next round I will hand over to stevejo for PP Challenge #361.

If anyone wants some tips on post processing Milky Way images I recommend this blog post from Royce Bair: Into The Night Photography: View of the Milky Way with Your Naked Eye

His Flickr page for some examples: Royce Bair | Flickr

Tas
02-15-2021, 05:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks Tas for a great challenge and for selecting my entry.
For next week you almost got another chocolate box lid, but I have instead given you something a bit more challenging. Here is the link...