Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something special about that lens Volume 1 Issue 2

Time to launch the second edition of: Something Special About That Lens

The goal of this contest is to show off some special feature of a lens, whether it is a fish eye, bokeh monster, super starbursts, perfect for reversing, super sharp, dreamy colors, super fast wide open aperture / narrow depth of field, creative use of vignetting etc. Pull out that hidden gem you haven't used in a while and find how it can enable your creativity. While members are free to like any image they like, ideally voting should be towards images that show off the special feature of the lens. Entrants are encouraged to include a short description with the image to tell what special feature they are trying to highlight.

The formal stuff:
  • 1 entry per person per month. Any brand of lens, but the photo should be taken with a Pentax or Ricoh DSLR/SLR camera.
  • PLEASE INCLUDE a short blurb explaining the special characteristics of the lens you are trying to show off
  • To enter, reply to this message and put your image in this thread.
  • The top 10 or so entries (this will be adjusted based on how much interest there is in this contest), based on total likes, will then be voted on in a poll for the monthly prize ( one 128 GB SD card, or three (3) 32 GB SD cards).
  • The 2nd - 4th place finishers in the poll voting each month will be entered into the December contest for additional prizes.
  • Contest winners will be asked for a brief blog post describing the technique you used to shoot and process your photo, as well as what equipment you used. Additional information about the lens and how and when you tend to use it will be most welcome.
This month: 21 to 27 mm (absolute lens focal length, don't include any crop factors - no math required!). (I'm just waiting to see a head to head between a DA21, and old 24mm or a creative use of one of the many zooms that cover this range)

Entries will close at the end of the month, but voting will continue until April 11 and then the shortlist voting poll will run for 10 days after that.

If you have any questions and they are specific to this month please put them here, otherwise please use this thread (Something special about that lens - NEW CONTEST series - PentaxForums.com) to learn more about the origins of this contest.

FINALLY: Whether you enter or not, please go view the photos from Issue 1 - 20mm or shorter (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/4...issue-1-a.html) and LIKE the ones that you think best show off a special characteristic of a lens. To that extent, credit should be given for those who included a short blurb about their images as befitting the purpose of this contest.

Last edited by MSL; 03-19-2021 at 12:43 PM.
03-01-2021, 09:07 PM - 9 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Carl Zeiss Distagon 25mm f2.8 ZK T*

an unusual focal length from a rare k-mount manufacturer...

sharp, accurate, colorful, and smooth bokeh - it even close-focuses down to about 6"

03-02-2021, 02:39 AM - 13 Likes   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Glass & Steel building with DA21 which is also a glass and steel / metal lens!

21 on APSC is a perfect walk-around lens in the city for me. Tried F28, and FA35mm, wonderful lenses but the focal lengths are just not for me. 21 fits perfectly. No wonder a lot of FF users like the FA31.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 04-11-2021 at 10:20 PM.
03-02-2021, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Glass & Steel building with DA21 which is also glass and steel!
Great shot, but to be fair, I think the Limiteds are mainly made from aluminium, not steel

03-02-2021, 05:04 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DFA 15-30mm f/2.8 - fast prime quality WR hunk

I first thought that I didn't even have something relevant - but then looking at my shots, realized that the DFA15-30mm still falls into the range. What's special about this lens is the prime-like performrmance with the flexibility of a WR zoom - something urgently needed for the below shot: The camera needed to be put next to the chain so it wouldn't show up in the picture and the angle of view adjusted to the height of the eruptions. No way to change lenses - there was the constant risk of a sudden eruption with wind blowing a lot of water my way.

Shot using a K-1, lens at 26mm. Lit by an YN560III off camera at 1/2 power, so I had two shots per eruption, with a 0.8s exposure to get some of the background.
03-03-2021, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8

She's been with me a lot of years now... doesn't get out much from the Harem these days.

Called "Friendly Lady" cos if people are in the image... you've got up very close and personal, to still be able to see 'em.

Plus points, she's a good steady performer and got used pre focussed for "street" work... that's before my "Street Lady" joined the Harem and objected bitterly to sharing the role.

All that said... she's my only lens that serves me great coffee.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'm just waiting to see a head to head between a DA21, and old 24mm
I think you got that and I expect more shots. With the 2 shots so far from those lenses it really shows the difference in how old lenses render compared to modern one.

03-03-2021, 07:48 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only thing special about this lens ( Ricoh XR Rikenon 24 mm f/2.8 - Pentax Lens Review Database ) was that it was $10 at a garage sale.

Overall, the lens is quite decent in the center but on full frame, the corners are a horror show. Even stopped down, sharpness plummets in the extreme corners where it has huge field curvature and every aberration under the sun. It's probably OK on APS-C. That said, if the corners don't matter to the image, it's fine.

So, if you find a lens that costs less than lunch, buy it and give it a try!

Frozen Flowing Effervescence (Note: subject is ice frozen around a rock in high mountain stream shot at 1/800 sec & f/8)

03-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I first thought that I didn't even have something relevant - but then looking at my shots, realized that the DFA15-30mm still falls into the range.
I spent a lot of time thinking about common lenses and typical primes when setting the different ranges. For example, the humble 18-55 qualifies from Feb - July and so might give incentive for someone to discover features of this lens that might make it special for certain types of photos. This might also encourage dusting off a less used prime, just to give it a chance to compete
03-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the humble 18-55 qualifies from Feb - July and so might give incentive for someone to discover features of this lens that might make it special for certain types of photos.
Now I might have to go and get one to replace the one that broke years ago. I did like it and found that for a kit lens it was better than most. Then the kid dropped the camera and that lens broke the fall.
03-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I spent a lot of time thinking about common lenses and typical primes when setting the different ranges. For example, the humble 18-55 qualifies from Feb - July and so might give incentive for someone to discover features of this lens that might make it special for certain types of photos. This might also encourage dusting off a less used prime, just to give it a chance to compete
I used an 18-55mm kit lens as my lens in the Single In Challenge one month - the optics were OK, but the plastics used for everything else were just awful to work with....
03-12-2021, 10:23 AM - 6 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset on Castlebar river with DFA 24-70mm. Nothing really special about this lens, but I love it. From landscapes and portraits to concert and street shots, it's just a reliable workhorse that gets the job done.

03-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Nothing really special about this lens, but I love it.
That seems a contradiction to me. Why not tell us why you love the lens? For example, many folks love the DA40 Limited as a walk around lens because it practically turns a dSLR into a P&S and make you not stand out for those candid shots. A lens that never fails the user is a feature I'd call something special.
03-12-2021, 01:58 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC

My submission represents a surprisingly versatile lens -- the HD Pentax DA 20-40mm Limited.

Although its range of focal lengths is relatively narrow compared to others, this lens provides considerable flexibility around a 'normal' angle of view while providing excellent image quality throughout in a compact, lightweight and unobtrusive package -- thus, its special feature.

As mentioned by many satisfied users, it offers excellent colour, contrast, and overall image rendering that is similar to the DA Limited primes. The out-of-focus areas exhibit pleasing bokeh and the lens seems to resists flare and ghosting very well.

One of my pass times is photographing classic cars, usually at public shows or 'cruise nights'. A challenge at these venues is to capture pleasing, artistic images of the cars while excluding people within crowded environments. This is a perfect application of the 20-40mm Limited -- I can choose my shooting spot, perspective and composition, and set my focal length precisely to capture what I want. For me, 20 to 40mm is an ideal range: A 'normal' AoV is often preferred, but the wide angle of 20mm is sometimes necessary to include an entire vehicle, and the long end works well for quarter shots or closer views of distinctive features of the vehicle. The short minimum focusing distance is useful for capturing small details on a car's body.

This image was shot at just the upper limit of this month's challenge -- 27mm (yay for the HD 20-40!). Other settings: f/8, 1/125, ISO 200. Post processing included applying adjustments to emulate film.

By the way, this is a 1955 Pontiac Chieftain.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-12-2021 at 03:50 PM.
03-13-2021, 04:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That seems a contradiction to me. Why not tell us why you love the lens? For example, many folks love the DA40 Limited as a walk around lens because it practically turns a dSLR into a P&S and make you not stand out for those candid shots. A lens that never fails the user is a feature I'd call something special.
What I love about this lens is that it's quite a solid performer in all aspects, although it does not excel in anything specific. Well, maybe I don't like the bokeh but even that I can manage if I pick my background carefully. I would not say it never fails. It failed me a couple of times because I had unreasonable expectations. But also got the job done where the Limiteds stumbled.

Maybe I'm overly enthusiastic about it because it was my first zoom lens after using primes for a very long time.