Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Rats!

I had a vast variety of veiled vile ànd villificacious verbiage, both vexatious and varying in voracity for the veinous venting of venomous but very vindicated verisimilitude! (Oooerr, wearing masks has turned me into V!)

#Applauds alliteratively#

04-29-2021, 01:04 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Careful, you potty-mouthed rapscallions; my finger is hovering over the "BAN" button
As long as it's not landing...
04-29-2021, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #198
Pentaxian

Well, this has been a particularly dismal month from me. Lots of work, etc. The F135 is of course a fantastic lens. It often seemed at first too long or short. I would have to work with it a bit. It has a very smooth bokeh usually and sharp enough wide open. Nice mfd. Compared to the fa*80-200 I would say it's not quite that level of iq, but very close. Just missing a certain pixie dust in the *. Its strength is it's extreme portability. It would be a super travel tele.
I'm on the fence whether to join in may, work seems to be slowing but you never know.
04-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL. You are a model citizen Matt. A couple of your Canadian mates, however....
There are one or two I wouldnt mind drowning in a mudpuddle.. but our country is quite diverse, geographically, politically and tempermentally...

04-29-2021, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #200
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I've taken my last shot, but not edited it yet. As my computer is currently solving FEA, and will be for some time, editing will have to wait. Instead I can put down my wrap up. So a month with fish eye zoom went smoothly. Auto features are must in zoom lens. The one month with manual zoom has made me postpone my other manual zoom lenses. Not looking to shoot them in SIC. With AF zoom the there a lot less hassle which make user experince acceptable and one might even enjoy the flexibility the lens offers. Shot daily. Posted daily. Missed some themes thought selfie provided. Occasional delay in commenting, but I think I went thru most of the shots. Not a perfect month on my side, but well within the rules.

Main complain of F17-28 FE is MFD. It is now 45cm. If it were around 20-25, it would give a lot more composition possibilities. Minor complain is sharpness. It is sharp enough, but I wouldn't mind it were sharper. I've been shooting so sharp lenses lately, that these just look a touch mushy while editing. Other than that it works as fisheye should work. If you put it in angle, you get nice curvy distortions. Carefully shot you can mostly hide the fishyness and corners look better than streched corners of rectangular lens. Sandy mentioned lack of PF at somepoint. I didn't need to desaturate purple at anypoint during the month. Actually I never even thought about PF during the month while editing shots, so what little there is, is meaningless.

Handling and build is what you can expect from F series. Better use that AF as manual focusing ain't fun. The feel on zoom ring is fine thought.

This lens is almost always in my camera bag. It's light, small and offers that UWA when you feel like you absolutely need that or just want go fishy. It's no bother to keep it along just in case. After this month I believe it will return to its place in the bag. Well atleast after I have figured out the chances in layout I need to make to fit DFA*85 in it. Damn that hood is big

Few shots from the month:

04-30-2021, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #201
Pentaxian

So, April ending with the HD DA 21 limited. And the love affair continues.

I'm trying to engage more mindfully with photography, to make the most of the protracted time with this lens - but not to berate myself about safeties/emergency shots.

A number of good ones and/or ones I like this month:

Angelonia by -Occasionally Focused-

Abandoned shoe by -Occasionally Focused-

Shade cloths re-cropped by -Occasionally Focused-

To Flickr-3 by -Occasionally Focused-

Busy bee by -Occasionally Focused-

Mossy wall by -Occasionally Focused-

Including my 4,000th daily photo:

For 4,000 by -Occasionally Focused-

I missed two days in that time, but as one of my Blipfoto contacts put it: "let go and let god" - and as irreligious as I am, I like the underlying idea, as well as the comparison she made: the mis woven strands in a Persian rug, to avoid perfection.

I will soon (depending on delivery time for the adaptor) have a play around with the DA21 on my Lumix G-10, for a tighter field of view. Dunno how long it'll last, but it could be fun. (Probably not long until it goes back on the KP, and I use the adaptor for my Sigma 70-300 just to be utterly ridiculous.)
04-30-2021, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #202
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have fallen at the last three hurdles, but that is not the lens' fault. It's awesome. In fact, I don't recall ever falling in love with a legacy lens as quickly.

The A* 135/1.8 looks amazing. The yawning front element is a sight to behold, especially when the aperture is wide open. The finish is pure pro.

It handles brilliantly, despite (or perhaps because of) its size and weight. The balance is just right on the K-1; it feels like the perfect foil for the two DFA* primes. The focus ring is huge, and buttery smooth.

When I put the effort in, the IQ was very fine indeed: sharp enough from the get-go, and lovely transition to out-of-focus. Chromatic aberration was much better controlled than with my A 50/1.2, and was never uncorrectable.

SO the lens is a beaut: pity about the tool behind the viewfinder. More often than not I was just going through the motions, and seriously, if this lens can't inspire me to pull my finger out I'm fooling myself. Some soul searching is required. And a big sell-off.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-30-2021 at 01:21 AM.
04-30-2021, 01:21 AM   #203
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh yeah - the K 135/2.5 is also fantastic, but I'm way too lazy for stop-down metering.

It's A series and later from now on, although I might have to keep a couple of older lenses for purely sentimental reasons.
04-30-2021, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have fallen at the last three hurdles, but that is not the lens' fault. It's awesome. In fact, I don't recall ever falling in love with a legacy lens as quickly.

The A* 135/1.8 looks amazing. The yawning front element is a sight to behold, especially when the aperture is wide open. The finish is pure pro.

It handles brilliantly, despite (or perhaps because of) its size and weight. The balance is just right on the K-1; it feels like the perfect foil for the two DFA* primes. The focus ring is huge, and buttery smooth.

When I put the effort in, the IQ was very fine indeed: sharp enough from the get-go, and lovely transition to out-of-focus. Chromatic aberration was much better controlled than with my A 50/1.2, and was never uncorrectable.

SO the lens is a beaut: pity about the tool behind the viewfinder. More often than not I was just going through the motions, and seriously, if this lens can't inspire me to pull my finger out I'm fooling myself. Some soul searching is required. And a big sell-off.
I have two reset methods. 1) buy a cheap Fuji & parp about with it, 2) alternatively try some infra red, I have a converted 2006 Sony that cost me £100 and is frankly brilliant & 3)... I have three reset methods, 3) photograph the inside of churches. This is my go to method. The ambient light is beautiful as is the richness of colour and texture, you have statues, ornamentation and fine detail in a calm and serene environment. I find it helps to remind me that not every image has to be epic. They are also a great place to sit and think, much like a blacksmiths forge 😁 and you know what it feels like to sit in one of those
04-30-2021, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #205
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think knife making is probably the solution
04-30-2021, 01:45 AM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think knife making is probably the solution
In that case, purely to aid you in your recovery of course, I will have a Glamdring please 🤣😂🤣😂
04-30-2021, 01:47 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, my first SIC comes to an end (last shot will come after work) and though I have to edit and upload the last third or so, I'm relatively happy.
I've missed a bunch of days because of quarantine and work-related exhaustion (mental more than physical), but otherwise... I'm glad I did this. Very glad. Granted, I started with a lens that is a fantastic walkaround length, but I actually enjoyed a lot the restriction of using only a prime for the entire month.

I'll try to be more consistent next month. The 77 is up!
04-30-2021, 02:27 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
In that case, purely to aid you in your recovery of course, I will have a Glamdring please 🤣😂🤣😂
Sure thing. But it will take a while, and it's gonna cost you
04-30-2021, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #209
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything I've seen from A*135 supports your conclusion. Certainly a lens that would be nice to own, but the price is just too steep for me. There has been one on sale in Finland, but at 2500€ I didn't even consider possibility. I would like to see Pentax make DFA*135 to fill the demand on that focal length.

I think what is needed is time and travel. At least I notice that it's sometimes hard to get inspired when I'm too long in the same old places I've shot so many times. Especially if I'm busy with work and other hobbies.
04-30-2021, 03:10 AM   #210
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
A number of good ones and/or ones I like this month:
That railway station sunset is excellent!