Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 83 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 01:08 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Time to launch the third edition of: Something Special About That Lens

The goal of this contest is to show off some special feature of a lens, whether it is a fish eye, bokeh monster, super starbursts, perfect for reversing, super sharp, dreamy colors, super fast wide open aperture / narrow depth of field, creative use of vignetting etc. Pull out that hidden gem you haven't used in a while and find how it can enable your creativity. While members are free to like any image they like, ideally voting should be towards images that show off the special feature of the lens. Entrants are encouraged to include a short description with the image to tell what special feature they are trying to highlight.

The formal stuff:
  • 1 entry per person per month. Any brand of lens, but the photo should be taken with a Pentax or Ricoh DSLR/SLR camera.
  • PLEASE INCLUDE a short blurb explaining the special characteristics of the lens you are trying to show off
  • To enter, reply to this message and put your image in this thread.
  • The top entries (this will be adjusted based on how much interest there is each round), based on total likes, will then be voted on in a poll for the monthly prize (one 128 GB SD card, or three (3) 32 GB SD cards).
  • The 2nd - 4th place finishers in the poll voting each month will be entered into the December contest for additional prizes.
  • Contest winners will be asked for a brief blog post describing the technique you used to shoot and process your photo, as well as what equipment you used. Additional information about the lens and how and when you tend to use it will be most welcome.
This month: 28 to 39 mm (absolute lens focal length, don't include any crop factors - no math required!). (I'm just waiting to see a head to head between the many top notch 28 or 31 or 35 mm lenses, or a creative use of one of the many zooms that cover this range)

Entries will close at the end of the month, but voting will continue until May 12 and then the shortlist voting poll will run for 10 days after that.

If you have any questions and they are specific to this month please put them here, otherwise please use this thread (Something special about that lens - NEW CONTEST series - PentaxForums.com) to learn more about the origins of this contest.

FINALLY: Whether you enter or not, please go view the photos from Issue 2 (Something special about that lens Volume 1 Issue 2 - PentaxForums.com) and LIKE the ones that you think best show off a special characteristic of a lens. To that extent, credit should be given for those who included a short blurb about their images as befitting the purpose of this contest.
The image is of Cholmondeley Castle, Cheshire, shot with the HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens, with a K-3 body.
The image demonstrates superb architecture against a dramatic sky. The excellent sharpness and colour contrast of the lens at all focal lengths demonstrates its versatility.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-23-2021, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still Waters

K-1 markii / HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm f2.8/ ISO 100 33mm f/14 1/60 sec. I was backed up on a secondary highway in SC. I took this scene for the colors & natural setting being very Spring like. Sometimes it's just nice to have the wide angle when you are pressed for room. This particular lens probably shows off the sharpness, depth of field, with being in a hand held situation.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Last edited by Markpszk; 04-29-2021 at 06:39 AM.
04-28-2021, 09:30 AM - 4 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Winter landscape

I took this picture last January in the Vienna Forest, Austria, with a Pentax K1 and a HD Pentax AD 28-105 mm (f 3.5-5.6) lens; at 28 mm and f 9,5. The lens is quite versatile, with very good focusing across the field. In this pic, an f 9,5 gave me excellent DOF, and accommodated the effects for the sky and the moving clouds, for which I used NV filter and a 27 sec exposure. The B&W choice was for a more dramatic effect.
Attached Images

04-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #64
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a couple of more days to go to enter this one.

04-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Norberto Quote
I took this picture last January in the Vienna Forest, Austria, with a Pentax K1 and a HD Pentax AD 28-105 mm (f 3.5-5.6) lens; at 28 mm and f 9,5. The lens is quite versatile, with very good focusing across the field. In this pic, an f 9,5 gave me excellent DOF, and accommodated the effects for the sky and the moving clouds, for which I used NV filter and a 27 sec exposure. The B&W choice was for a more dramatic effect.
The B&W conversion works very well!
04-30-2021, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

My own one true 28mm - Tamron Adaptall 28/2.5 on Pentax K200D - The Albert Memorial, Kensington Gardens, London. 1/100th f8, stop down metering.

Full-sized image here - https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51149891850_4a15d8c88d_o_d.jpg

More images with this lens here - Tamron Adaptall 28/2.5 Test | Flickr

later - sorry, forgot to say what I like about this lens, which is the excellent depth of field.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 04-30-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: reason for liking
05-01-2021, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #67
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This contest is now closed to entries, but add your likes until May 12 to help determine the short list for the second round of voting.

The next round is now up at Something special about that lens Volume 1 Issue 4 - 40-49 mm - PentaxForums.com

And I haven't forgotten about Round 2. It has been a hectic month, but I'll formally post the winner and runners up shortly.

05-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
This contest is now closed to entries, but add your likes until May 12 to help determine the short list for the second round of voting.

The next round is now up at Something special about that lens Volume 1 Issue 4 - 40-49 mm - PentaxForums.com

And I haven't forgotten about Round 2. It has been a hectic month, but I'll formally post the winner and runners up shortly.
No worries and thanks for organising this. I got to know some new lenses and their uses!