Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #241
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally think everyone should avoid 'Post' for expediency's sake in this quite unique international initiative. I considered the cost of shipping with a premium delivery service from the US to anywhere in the world when showing interest. I'm hoping everyone gives it some consideration.

I bought a camera bag from Ole. He used USPS from Arizona to NY [LI]. It really looked like it was never going to arrive. Finally did, taking a few days under 3 weeks to arrive. He went on to mention he sent slide film to LA for processing, which took three weeks to arrive for a trip you can do in 8 hours by car, or 1 hour by plane. And that's all in the same country.

I really don't imagine the government run postal services are any better/worse anywhere in the world. Add to that, international boundaries. So if we want more than 10 - 12 people to get a shot at/with this lens, strongly consider the expense of DHL or UPS or other.

Thoughts?

03-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #242
Site Supporter

I've sent a variety of packages around the US using USPS Priority service and the delivery time is generally about 2-4 days. I'm talking all manner of computer parts here. If you are using basic parcel post I can maybe see the reason for the slow delivery time. I find that their priority service is actually quite fast and reliable. I dunno, everyone seems to have their own experiences. I'm just recounting my own, which is from many package mailings.
03-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #243

It's really sad about Australia post. You would think that posting at card or trains arriving on time, is important to make the a country run well - I don't have neither here in NSW......

Great !
03-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #244
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
I've sent a variety of packages around the US using USPS Priority service and the delivery time is generally about 2-4 days. I'm talking all manner of computer parts here. If you are using basic parcel post I can maybe see the reason for the slow delivery time. I find that their priority service is actually quite fast and reliable. I dunno, everyone seems to have their own experiences. I'm just recounting my own, which is from many package mailings.
Ya, granted. that's equiv to a premium delivery service. what I described wasn't Priority mail. ...just parcel post. I think that sits until a truck is filled going in the direction your package is going, or 2 or 3 weeks expires. Whatever comes 1st.

03-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #245
Veteran Member

Can someone PM me the log on details for the flickr account?
03-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #246
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Ya, granted. that's equiv to a premium delivery service. what I described wasn't Priority mail. ...just parcel post. I think that sits until a truck is filled going in the direction your package is going, or 2 or 3 weeks expires. Whatever comes 1st.
Well, yes and no, the cost of USPS priority shipping is quite a bit less than say UPS or Fedex. But I know what you are saying.
03-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #247
Veteran Member

Daz

Try this, it will put you right

Flickr: travelingnifty50mm's Photostream

Pm sent re my address.

#Daz has contacted me re sending lens on. I will advise all when received and when forwarded. I will try and have it back in mail 2-3 days max.

03-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We shoulda made a circuit for the lens while it's here. The backwards and forwards around the country might be tiresome time wise.

I will contact Mechan1c and try to meet up with. We can both knock off our shots on the same day.

Last edited by KrisK10D; 03-13-2009 at 10:16 PM.
03-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
We shoulda made a circuit for the lens while it's here. The backwards and forwards around the country might be tiresome time wise.

I will contact Mechan1c and try to meet up with. We can both knock off our shots on the same day.
I agree. Melbourne-Hobart-Adelaide-Sydney might have been more logical, but it shouldn't be a problem with Express Post, anyway. I think everyone's on a next business day postcode from the looks of things.

However, I'm home next weekend (21-22) but away for the following three weekends including Easter, so a bit of tick-tacking might avoid or minimise delays. I hope all the Aussie-based shooters are keeping up with things.
03-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Daz

Try this, it will put you right

Flickr: travelingnifty50mm's Photostream

Pm sent re my address.

#Daz has contacted me re sending lens on. I will advise all when received and when forwarded. I will try and have it back in mail 2-3 days max.
Bruce,

Lens is on it's way express to you...should have it tmw (Tues). Thanks for the flickr link, but I need the log on details so I can upload my photos (which you will need too). Can someone, please PM the username & password.
03-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #251
Inactive Account

I think this is a very cool idea! I went to the Flickr site and those are great pictures. I just wish there was a bit more explanation or description on the individual images. Perhaps a picture of a map to show the global progress of the traveling lens would be helpful too.

Just some thoughts, not criticism.
03-16-2009, 03:56 AM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I think this is a very cool idea! I went to the Flickr site and those are great pictures. I just wish there was a bit more explanation or description on the individual images. Perhaps a picture of a map to show the global progress of the traveling lens would be helpful too.

Just some thoughts, not criticism.
I've got a world map going, Scott. I think someone else has too. I've also got the list of Members who have requested to participate (that was started by jsherman and I don't see you on ) which includes an approximate amount of miles/kilometers in it.

Personally, I would like to see more pics of the folks with the nifty 50

Last edited by KrisK10D; 03-16-2009 at 04:33 AM.
03-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #253
Veteran Member

Here's an updated version of our list of Members, in order of request. If you see any errors in it could you let me know please?

Nifty Fifty travels the world of Pentaxians

aamin515 (Ohio USA) from Ibam; 531m or 854 km.
X-man (Maine USA) from aamin; 690m or 1111km, TOTAL 1221m or 1765 km.
figmental1978 (Nagoya, JAPAN) from X-man; 7117m or 11,452km, TOTAL 8338m or 13,217 km.
Leadbelly (Quezon, Phillipines) from figmental1; 1416m or 2280kms, TOTAL 8754m or 15497km
soccerjoe5 (Alabang, Phillipines) from Leadbelly; 15m & 25km, TOTAL 8769m or 15522km
Leadbelly (Quezon, Phillipines) from soccerjoe5; 15m & 25km, TOTAL 8784m or 15547km

current: dazman (Melbourne, Aust) from Leadbelly; 3940m & 6341km, TOTAL 12,724m or 21888km
next: Bramela (Newcastle, Aust)

HouseOfHorla (Teddington, London)
[color=Green]jsherman999 (Minneapolis USA)
PentHassyKon (California USA)
dazman (Melbourne AUS)
Igilligan (California, USA)
legacyb4 (tri-cities, BC, Canada)
Pollitowozhere (Puerto Rico)
gokenin (Lowell, MA USA)
Eastern Shore Charlie (21639 (zip) USA)
mi2nc (North Carolina USA)
the_int21h (South Caroline USA)
lithos (Brisbane AUS)
soccerjoe5 (Phillipines)
ftpaddict (Bucharest, Romania)
Eaglerapids (Idaho, USA)
bdery (Quebec City, Canada)
Fearview (Jakarta)
steVo_k200d (Hong Kong, China)
jah3 (Helsinki, Finland)
Bramela (Newcastle, AUS)
Deni (Albania)
Mechan1k (Sydney, AUS)
netuser (Azores Islands)
miserere (Boston, MA USA)
m8o (Eatons Neck, NY, USA)
elkarrde (Zagreb, Croatia)
oinkely (Ireland)
axl (London, Engand)
séamuis (Savannah, GA USA)
RobA _Oz (Hobart, AUS)
Dave_Sz (Illinois 60110 USA)
hwblanks (Williston, FL USA)
gnaztee (Tucson, AZ USA)
Damn_Brit (Oakland, CA USA)
ll_cOfFeE_lP (Guelph, Ontario, Canada)
dayah (Zagreb, Croatia)
Andi Lo (Halifax, Canada)
minikin (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
dropbear (Dublin, Ireland)
Adrian Owerko (South Australia)
eccs19 (Lisle, Ontario)
tomypreach ( Wollongong, Australia)
dws1117 (TX, USA)
speedoo (New York, USA)
xyzik (Seattle, USA)
KrisK10D (Sydney, Australia)
digitaddict (Quebec)
LensScribe (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Added- digitaddict and LensScribe

LEGEND:
italic - members who already had the lens
bold - current owner
underlined - next member to get the lens

Green = USA
Purple = SE Asia
Red = Australia
Cyan = UK & Ireland
Blue = Canada
Orange = Europe
Pink = North Atlantic
Maroon = South Africa
03-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #254
Veteran Member

Sorry I have been away from a PC for a few days ... and have been busy with pre-baby preparations ... but I can't wait for this ... I've actually been out shooting lately as it is.

Maybe some of the Sydney siders can meet up ... but getting a group at short notice is going to be hard. Will try and organise a meet up with Kris though at least for Sydney.

Cupic's name isn't in the last ... so i might let him know as well ... as there's Tomypreach in Wollongong as well ... and I Cupic is down Shellharbour way as well.
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #255
Veteran Member

Actually ... to add to this ... it might be quicker for one od us Sydney people to take a quick drive down to Wollongong to pass this one on instead of using Aust Post as well (it's only an hour away I guess).

I'll start PMing people