Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, Paul, you are in, as is Stuart Windram. Great stuff!

03-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #977
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Has anybody got hold of a world map yet and stuck map pins on the locations the "nifty fifty" has been?

Would be quite interesting to see at a glance how many miles he/she/its travelled.

This leads on to the question, what gender is a lens.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-19-2012 at 05:27 PM.
03-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #978
Veteran Member

there was a post from maybe a year ago where somebody calculated the mileage the lens had traveled but I don't know if there is a list anywhere of everyone who has had the lens. I only got involved a few months ago when the project was on life support. I of course have plans to make a cool map but I keep getting sidetracked.

The lens has arrived in South Africa finally. I was starting to get nervous.

Noel is handling all of the logistics for South Africa so contact him if you have any questions.

Here is the process after you take your photos and send it to the next person:
a) post the photos on flickr with captions (noel and I have the password if you don't have it)
b) send a short one paragraph writeup via for me to post on the blog with your photos. You can look at previous blogs for ideas. Pretty much you can write about anything from a summary of photos, Pentax, community photography or the nifty fifty.
03-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #979
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Already had a few practice runs. What an amazing lens. It fits so my K200D so well, I'm not sure I want to send it back:ugh:. What price for it?
The lens is in excellent condition, and congratulations to all who have had the lens thus far, and kept it in such pristine condition.
Thanks to woolly too, who packed it very well indeed. Just as an aside, the lens arrived at the post office on the 13th already, but only got notification yesterday that the lens was there for collection. Second notification too. What happened to the first notification I have no idea, but hey, this is Africa.
12 particpants, for which I apologise, but we'll make sure it keeps moving along. All but a few have been contacted so the lens will start working this weekend.
Now to enjoy what this lens will show of South Africa. What a pity it only arrived yesterday, when I was still in the Kruger National Park. WOuld have taken it with me for that excursion.
Thanks to all who are participating from our part of the world. South Africans- we rock

Last edited by noelcmn; 03-27-2012 at 10:28 AM.
03-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #980

Photos: Gallery
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the whole 66 pages of post in this thread for the last 2 days, I say the idea is sublime! Congratulations to everyone who had participated and acted as stewards of the project! And of course to the people who donated the 3 lens that are used for the project, thank you very much! I am interested in joining this project, although I am aware of the concerns/apprehensions for "New Members" joining the project, I still do hope you consider me. I am a Filipino based in Singapore and would love to take the lens for a spin when it goes thorugh Asia.

I have also pitched this idea to our Filipino Pentaxian group and even willing to donate an M 50 1.7 to have our local version but only one expressed interest. So it would seem we would be passing the lens just to each other! LOL!

I will be watching this thread in the coming weeks and years.

Regards,

Chester
04-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everyone

The lens was delivered to lenscribe on Friday, and will be sent onto the next recipient within a day or two. Lenscribe should be posting some of his creations onto the flickr site soon as well.
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #982
Veteran Member

Does anyone in South Africa know where the lens is and when pictures will be posted?

I'm also looking for European participants for the next destination before it comes to Asia. We'll at least get to see Taiwan and the Philippines (or Singapore).

04-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #983
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hi Abacus, I was expecting a response from Noel but this is what he informed me 2 days ago: the lens has been sent to Paul Pheiffer in Ellisras, and he should have it by end of this week, and hopefully will not keep it for long. i see from Noel's list that there are then 6 other participants before it gets to me and I pass it on to Noel who then sends it of to the next country. Seems to me that its likely to be here for the next month or two....
Best regards,
Roel
04-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #984

I received an e-mail from Craig on Tuesday 17 April 2012, indicating that he posted it to me, but I have not received the lens yet.
I was actually hoping to take it for some sightseeing this weekend...
Will post again as soon as I have it in my hands.
04-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #985

After a couple of anxious moments about its whereabouts, the famous word traveler arrived.

By now, a little weary, I think. The aperture adjustment ring seems to need some attention: at one stage it got stuck and I was only able to adjust it from F1.7 to F8, the A-setting could not be set. At this stage I thought about opening it and see if I could rectify the problem, but then decided against it. After some careful fiddling it came unstuck and I was able to set it to "A".
I think it is best to just leave it there on "A" as it is the easiest way to use this lens on a DSLR anyway.

Last edited by Paul Pheiffer; 04-23-2012 at 02:40 AM.
05-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #986
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Paul, glad the lens is moving along now. Rick in PA is the next recipeint, after which it travels to Cape Town for a few forumites there.
Look forward to seeing your images Paul and Rick.
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #987
Inactive Account

Regarding the aperture ring being fiddly and only able to move between F1.7 to F8-- I've found that with my copy of this lens, sometimes pressing that little button on the aperture ring that allows you to leave the A-setting helps.
05-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #988
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right, Paul has posted some images onto the Flcikr thread, and wonderful pics they are too. Thanks Paul-African bushveld-Could'nt have chosen a better subject to reflect the beauty of South Africa. I am so glad to see these!
Thanks Paul.
05-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #989
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens is now in Port Alfred, with Rick in PA, and from there the lens moves to Cape Town for its stint there, then to the Northern Cape and thence back to Johannesburg.
05-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #990
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok Nifty Fifty fans. The lens has been to Stellenbosch, and some images, lovely autumn colours, showing off the famous Stellenbosch wine farms, have been uploaded to the Flickr page. Thanks GeorgeCape for your very fine contribution. The lens will shortly be sent onto the next recipient in Cape Town.