Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #1036
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Phew, Abacus07, I am so relieved the lens has arrived. And that it is in great shape. Such a pleasure to have had it here.

Thanks you drivingback and abacus07 for your kind comments. You (that is the both of you) are going to have a fab time with lens. Look forward to seeing your shots.

Does anyone know if there is anything else like this on the web? a travelling lens? Such a wonderful idea, and consider it a privilege to be a part of it.

10-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #1037
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Phew, Abacus07, I am so relieved the lens has arrived. And that it is in great shape. Such a pleasure to have had it here.

Thanks you drivingback and abacus07 for your kind comments. You (that is the both of you) are going to have a fab time with lens. Look forward to seeing your shots.

Does anyone know if there is anything else like this on the web? a travelling lens? Such a wonderful idea, and consider it a privilege to be a part of it.
In the film section they are doing a sightseeing screwmount. I haven't followed the project but I think it's a Takumar attached to a camera that is doing the same thing as the traveling nifty fifty.
10-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #1038
Veteran Member

The lens is on its way to Singapore and hopefully it will arrive before next weekend (they say 6-7 days). Then it is off to the Philippines.

I'm extremely relieved that everything went well this weekend and my photos will at least match the bar that has been set by previous photographers. I'm sure everyone is scared that they won't create the perfect photo when they have the lens. I was also concerned about rain wiping out my weekend but I didn't feel a drop. I'm almost done processing 30 plus photos from the last two weekends. Of course I used more than the nifty fifty. Now I just have 3 of my own blogs to write, 2 webpages to write and the nifty fifty blog. Of course I need to finish by Friday when I head out again.

here's the first photo that i've uploaded from the nifty fifty this Sunday. This is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Taiwan but on Sunday the water wasn't it's usual brilliant bluegreen due to the nasty overcast skies.

Last edited by abacus07; 10-30-2012 at 08:08 AM.
11-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #1039
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WOW, Abucus07-that is a lovely shot-full of atmosphere.

11-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #1040
Veteran Member

My photos have been uploaded to the flickr page and blogged. Hopefully the lens arrives in singapore before the weekend. Our Japanese participant hasn't responded to either PM so if I don't hear from him the lens will go singapore-Manila-Australia. If you're in Australia and you want to participate then PM me your address. Right now I think we have two from down under and I'm comfortable with 4 more before sending the lens back to North America.

Here are 2 more photos with the nifty fifty from the weekend. more photos are on flickr and the blog. The nifty fifty visits Taiwan

Last edited by abacus07; 11-06-2012 at 01:10 AM.
11-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #1041
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fascinating Abacus07. Really like the Gorge shot-makes me a bit giddy-Vertigo you know! And the other two blogs too-with a bit of history of the area. I like it very much. My ancestary is actually from Malaysia/Indonesia, so I appreciated it all the more. Maybe one day i'll visit my ancestral lands. Thanks for your input in this travelling nifty fifty thread.
11-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #1042

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
My photos have been uploaded to the flickr page and blogged. Hopefully the lens arrives in singapore before the weekend. Our Japanese participant hasn't responded to either PM so if I don't hear from him the lens will go singapore-Manila-Australia. If you're in Australia and you want to participate then PM me your address. Right now I think we have two from down under and I'm comfortable with 4 more before sending the lens back to North America.

Here are 2 more photos with the nifty fifty from the weekend. more photos are on flickr and the blog. The nifty fifty visits Taiwan

Those are beautiful shots Kirk! Looks like you had a great time with the lens.

The lens has not arrived yet here in Singapore, hopefully it comes before the weekend so I have time to shoot. Also, I have mentioned in another post that my girlfriend is replacing her Nikon D5100 with a Pentax K-30; and just this Saturday we were finally able to buy one. We hope you could spare us a few more days with the lens so both of us can shoot with it. We promise to move it to the next recipient as soon as possible after we shoot with it. Thanks!
11-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #1043
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The website is great - full of so many wonderful shots from all over!

11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #1044
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Abacus07 the nifty fifty blog is looking very nice - great job ! Oh and nice pics on your turn as well.
11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #1045

I finally got the notice from Singpost today and I should be able to get the lens tomorrow when I drop by their office. We (me and my girlfriend) will be shooting with it on the weekends, hopefully we'll get some good weather as it has been raining here the past week. Thanks!
11-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #1046
Veteran Member

1.5 weeks is about what I expected. thanks for all of the comments about the blog. I wish I spent more time on it (I could make it even better) but the blogging part is pretty easy when I get everyone's photos.
11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #1047
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know where I am in the queue, but I think I should drop off the list of future recipients. I have too many other balls in the air already, so I don't think I would do my tenure of the lens justice.

Great work everyone: this is a very interesting and worthwhile project!
11-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #1048

I was able to shoot with the travelling nifty fifty last Saturday and Sunday. I'll be sending the lens by Wednesday night to the next recipient as the post office here only have extended office hours during Wednesday. That would be the only day I would have the extra time to go after my work.

The lens is really great, it's just a little bad that we got some rain during the weekends. I struggled with the weather and the focal length of the lens as well. I still feel it is too long for APS-C but I must say that the A 50 f1.7 lens is a great performer! Thank you everyone for letting me be a part of this project!
11-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #1049

The lens is now on its way to the Philippines. Singpost said that it will take 10 working days for the package to arrive. Thank you again to everyone! I will be posting my photos by the weekend.
11-29-2012, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #1050

Hi everyone,

I have already uploaded my photos to the Travelling Nifty Fifty official flickr account. Alternatively, the photos are also available in my flickr account.

Travelling Nifty Fifty - a set on Flickr

Thank you again for letting me be a part of this project! I had fun shooting with the lens.