Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #1261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah the only way would be to go through the thread and locate it manually.
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
And one of my other hobbies
Hey you are a Traktor user. I have been using Traktor since V3 , but I gave up the wedding DJ biz a few years ago - just do PA work now.

06-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #1262
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Yeah the only way would be to go through the thread and locate it manually.

Hey you are a Traktor user. I have been using Traktor since V3 , but I gave up the wedding DJ biz a few years ago - just do PA work now.
I pretty much make my own DJ mixes just for my own enjoyment. A couple examples: March Electro Mix, Summer Funky Mix or Friday Night Progressive Mix.
06-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #1263
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Love the hexagonal bokeh, something you don't get to see in every photo out there.
06-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #1264
Veteran Member

Last photo OF the lens. Taken with my FA77 for todays Single in challenge. It is now on it's way to Southlander...

Travelling Nifty 50 and the Down Under Neighbourhood
by dcBear78, on Flickr

The list now looks like...

dcBear78 - Australia

Southlander - Australia

Sam Joseph - Australia

mythguy9 - Australia

monoloco - Mexico

severalsnakes - USA

njphotog - USA

hmirchev - USA

Giklab - Slovenia

wullemaha - Japan / Austria

calculator01 - Canada

Neville - South Africa

06-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #1265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice mixes dcbear!
Thanks for the update on the lens, keep up the good work on the photography and music.
06-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #1266
Veteran Member

Nice shots, everyone! Love that bokeh, dcBear, and great management of light all around. I've been off of the forums (and Flickr) for a bit, with lots of other "life" stuff going on, but I'm looking forward to my turn with the lens. Don't pass me up! :-)
06-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #1267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll keep an eye out for the lens delivery. It's been a long weekend so I would think delivery would be tomorrow. Now to think of some good subjects...
06-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #1268
Veteran Member

A massive apology to the community here. I missed the post office and then my daughter moved the box with the lens onto the floor in the back of my car. A matter of out of sight, out of mind and I forgot about this lens. But I can assure everyone it is on it's way to Southlander now.

06-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #1269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can confirm it arrived at work this morning safe and sound. It's a cute little thing (speaking as someone who owns the M50/1.7 and the F50/1.7).

I'll be interested as to how it compares to those other two 50/1.7's. My M50/1.7 is quite a good lens but the F50/1.7 is scary sharp.

And good timing with the weekend coming.
06-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #1270

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I can confirm it arrived at work this morning safe and sound. It's a cute little thing (speaking as someone who owns the M50/1.7 and the F50/1.7).

I'll be interested as to how it compares to those other two 50/1.7's. My M50/1.7 is quite a good lens but the F50/1.7 is scary sharp.

And good timing with the weekend coming.
We are waiting patiently!
06-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #1271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, winter has properly arrived in Adelaide and the weather has been windy and wet the past couple of days. Not that affects me in Adelaide, but my son checked the sea conditions report this evening. There's a huge sea running off the coast of South Australia today - the wave recorder at the tip of Kangaroo Island is recording 15 metre waves (that's 50 feet give or take). Even the biggest of ships will be noticing that.

The weather has forced changes to my intended targets for the Nifty Fifty, and I have decided for now to embrace the wet'n'cold theme rather than fight it.

Have just realised that I need the Flickr password from dcbear, so while I wait for that, I'll post a few images here while I wait.

Wet and darn cold evening peak hour - black and white seems to suit the grungy weather.

And not much better for the next morning's peak hour either

Cold little piggies

Frozen!

Echos of summers past - the Big Thong@Emo Park. For years I though the thing in the background was a Halloween themed pumpkin. Then somebody put me right a few months back by informing me it is in fact a beach ball. The 'stem' on top is the air valve. Doh!

Mary Lee was an early South Australian suffragette and quite a feisty lady according to the accounts of the day. I imagine she would given some of the colonial men folk a pretty frosty reception. This was taken wide open at F1.7 and came up quite well I thought. The bokeh has done a pretty reasonable job of blurring away what is a busy main street in the background.

Sir Douglas Mawson - Antarctic explorer. He'd be in his element today as Antarctica is where this week's cold winds are coming from.

Hopefully the weather will abate somewhat for the next few days before I move the Nifty Fifty onwards.

On a different topic, just got a spanking new Dell U2713H monitor yesterday and what a beast! Based on first impressions, it looks the goods, and I have done the Nifty Fifty post processing on it tonight.

Last edited by southlander; 06-24-2014 at 07:38 AM.
07-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #1272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Second batch of photos and then the Travelling Fifty moves on

The weather finally was quite good today, so a second batch of nifty photos.

Initially I found myself looking down the barrel for inspiration, literally...

Wide open at F1.7 and I just missed the focus on the front face swaying forward slightly.

A slightly wider view of Australia's latest military hardware (this time at F4).

And while on a military theme...

Then down to the River Torrens that runs through Adelaide.

I came back at the end of the day to the same place for some different lighting. No tripod with me, so these were handheld using the railings of the bridge I was on for elbow support. The second one below was at 1/5th second. Good result I thought for the shutter speed.

Entertainment facilities, old and new ...Gazebo 1882, Adelaide Oval rebuild 2014

And what did I think of the Travelling Nifty Fifty? It is a sharp lens like other Pentax 50/1.7's but I found it a bit temperamental whenever it was pointing anywhere towards the light source, even with the handy metal hood it is travelling with. It looses contrast quite quickly in such situations. And a just a little more colour fringing I think than my two 50/1.7's.

Looking at the lens closely tonight I think there is some haze or something similar starting to develop on the inside of the rear element which I think would explain the loss of contrast when shooting against the light. When it is next back in the US, it might be good for the Travelling Fifty to pay Eric a visit for a good clean.

Anyway, my time is up and the 50 resumes its travels tomorrow and will be on its way to Sam.Joseph.
07-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #1273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
A slightly wider view of Australia's latest military hardware (this time at F4).
Ha Ha, not planning to wage a war anytime soon I take it?

Great shots and thanks for the update.
This is a replacement 50. I know one was cleaned by a member a while back but I think that one got lost in transit so another was donated.
07-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #1274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Ha Ha, not planning to wage a war anytime soon I take it?

Still more effective than our Collins Class Submarines.
07-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #1275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Still more effective than our Collins Class Submarines.
I'd never heard of these - wikipedia makes an interesting read: Collins-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia