Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John K Quote
Count me in when this gets to Europe (especially when it gets to Cork)!
OK, that's Ireland 5, UK 1.

But seriously, should some of us try to get together and do a group shoot? Meet each other? Have a pint? I wouldn't mind going down to Cork for it.

04-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #617

What is required to be involved in this? I am in Windsor, ON Canada, near the southernmost point of Canada. I could get some great shots down here.

Jay
04-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #618
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aamir515 Quote
well well well, glad to see this project is still going strong. keep it up people. I hadn't checked up on this thread in a while, but now that I think of it, is it just me or has the lens reached far fewer people in this time than it should have?
cheers
It sort of stalled for a bit in the States but we are jumpstarting it again and the lens is on its way up to the Pacific coast of Canada before heading east and over to Europe

Updated list with the new editions

Traveling 50 Phase 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flickr: Flickr: travelingnifty50mm's Photostream

aamin515 (Ohio USA) from Ibam; 531m or 854 km.
X-man (Maine USA) from aamin; 690m or 1111km, TOTAL 1,221m or 1,765 km.
figmental1978 (Fukuyama, JAPAN) from X-man; 7117m or 11,452km, TOTAL 8338m or 13,217 km.
Leadbelly (Quezon, Phillipines) from figmental1; 1416m or 2280kms, TOTAL 8,754m or 15,497km
soccerjoe5 (Alabang, Phillipines) from Leadbelly; 15m & 25km, TOTAL 8,769m or 15,522km
Leadbelly (Quezon, Phillipines) from soccerjoe5; 15m & 25km, TOTAL 8,784m or 15,547km
dazman (Melbourne, Aust) from Leadbelly; 3,940m & 6,341km, TOTAL 12,724m or 21,888km
Bramela (Newcastle, Aust) from dazman; 510m & 821km, TOTAL 13,234m or 22,709km
Mechan1k (Sydney, AUS) from Bramela; 74m & 118km, TOTAL 13,308m or 22,827km
KrisK10D (Sydney, Australia) from Mechn1k; 29m & 47km, TOTAL 13,337m or 22,874km
tomypreach ( Wollongong, Australia) from KrisK10D; 43m & 68km, TOTAL 13,380m & 22,942km
Adrian Owerko (Mount Barker, Australia) from tommypreach; 683m & 1099km, TOTAL 14,063m & 24,041km
MoiVous (McLaren Vale, Australia) from Adrian Owerko; 28m & 45km TOTAL 14,091 & 24,086
JulesJ(Hobart, Australia) from MoiVous; 709m & 1141 TOTAL 14,800m & 25,227km
RobA _Oz (Hobart, AUS) from Mivous; 1m & 1km TOTAL 14,801m & 25228km
lithos (Queensland, AUS) from RobA_Oz; 1,789m & 1111km TOTAL 16590m & 26339km
[i[big red (Brisbane, AUS)[/i] from lithos; 1m & 1km TOTAL 16591m & 26340km
ChrisN (Canberra, AUS) from big red; 582m & 937km TOTAL 17173m & 27277km
jsherman999 (Minneapolis, USA) from ChrisN; 9146m & 14718km TOTAL 26,319m & 41,995km
PentHassyKon (Irvine, CA, USA) from jsherman999; 1,517m & 2,442km TOTAL 27,836 & 44,437km
Igilligan (California, USA) from PentHassyKon; 379m & 611km TOTAL 28,215m & 45,048km
Damn_Brit (Oakland, CA USA) from Igilligan; 11m & 18km TOTAL 28,226m & 45,066km
Steve Beswick (California, USA) from Damn_Brit; 365m & 587km TOTAL 28,591m & 45,653km
Eaglerapids (Idaho, USA) from Steve Beswick; 675m & 1086km TOTAL 29,226m & 46,739km
gnaztee (Tucson, AZ USA) from Eaglerapids;1033m & 1663Km TOTAL 30,259m & 48,402km
Pentaxperson (Austin, Texas) from Gnaztee; 1097m & 1766Km TOTAL 31,356m & 50,168 km
séamuis (Savannah, GA USA) from Pentaxperson;1173m & 1888km TOTAL 32,529m & 52,056km
Eastern Shore Charlie (21639 (zip) USA) from Seamuis; 648m & 1044Km TOTAL 33,177m & 53,100km
M80 from East Shore Charlie
Speedo from M80
Mi2nc from Speedo

Phase 2
Canada
legacyb4 (tri-cities, BC, Canada)
steVo_k200d (Calgary, Canada)
icywarm (Saskatchewan)
minikin (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
J.Scott (Ontario, Canada)
Winfab(Windsor,ON)
eccs19 (Lisle, Ontario)
bdery (Quebec City, Canada)
digitaddict (Quebec, Canada)
Andi Lo (Halifax, Canada)

UK & Ireland
HouseOfHorla (Teddington, London)
dropbear (Dublin, Ireland)
oinkely (Ireland)
Robbiec (Cork,Ireland)
rparmar (Limerick,Ireland)
John K (Cork Ireland)

Europe
ftpaddict (Bucharest, Romania)
jah3 (Helsinki, Finland)
dayah (Zagreb, Croatia)
Deni (Albania)
elkarrde (Zagreb, Croatia)
netuser (Azores Islands)
elkarrde (Zagreb, Croatia)
kevinschoenmakers (Netherlands)
kevinschoenmakers (Netherlands)
Niki (Unknown)
Viliam (Uppsala, Sweden)
Ezechiel (Poitou Charentes,France)
Hrvoje_Fila (Zagreb, Croatia)
ovim (Tre, Finland)
Bymy141 (St, Petersburgh)

Asia
Fearview (Jakarta)
Dycz (Phillipines)
Dbmayur (Taipei,Taiwan)
openyourap (bangkok)
Tinabalagosa (Cebu,Philippines)

South Africa
LensScribe (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Australia
Cupic (Warrawong NSW Australia)
xjjohnno (Melbourne Australia)

USA
the_int21h (South Caroline USA
miserere (Boston, MA USA)
Dave_Sz (Illinois 60110 USA)
hwblanks (Williston, FL USA)
Pollitowozhere (Puerto Rico)
dws1117 (TX, USA)
xyzik (Seattle, USA)
John Araki (Hawaii, USA)
RickL (Missouri, USA)
Naturephoto1P (Florida, USA)
GateCityRadio (Greensboro,NC)
JnM_in_Vt (Vermont)
SLRPhotography (Kennewick WA)

I wanted to update the list of people which I have done to include the new people that have posted recently.We are going to continue the travels of the NiftyFifty with my lens taking the place of our wayward lens. I would however like to place some suggestions about the lens

1) since this is a travel log of the lens I think one of the shots should be a location shot i.e. your cities welcome sign or something like that

2) that the thread is updated with when you are shipping the lens out and to whom it is going, and if possible letting us know it gets there as well

3)That when you have taken pictures that we update the Flicr account something that has been lacks because the password went missing but I have it so when you are have the lens email me and I will give you the password

4) I would like if possible to keep the lens moving so would like to limit it to a 2 week max per holder I am hoping that the lens will make it you Europe sometime in June?

Last edited by gokenin; 05-09-2010 at 07:30 AM.
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
4) I would like if possible to keep the lens moving so would like to limit it to a 2 week max per holder I am hoping that the lens will make it you Europe sometime in June?
Maybe this has been done to death before on this thread, I don't know. If so I apologise as a newcomer to this project.

But why not one week? That seems to me plenty of time to get a lens, find a few hours to do something with it and move it on. The faster this goes, with the most activity, the more fun for everyone.

Last edited by rparmar; 04-21-2010 at 01:15 PM.
04-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #620
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Maybe this has been done to death before on this thread, I don't know. If so I apologise as a newcomer to this project.

But why not one week? That seems to me plenty of time to get a lens, find a few hours to do something with it and move it on. The faster this goes, with the most activity, the more fun for everyone.
One week turnaround is doable but it needs more organization than we currently have, IMO.

First recognize that people do not have a full week for shooting. They work, which means most have only weekends and daylight hours after work for shooting.

Second, participants should know well in advance of their receipt of the lens who they will be passing it on to in order to contact that next person, make sure they are available in the time frame, get a shipping address and ensure they are prepared to shoot and keep the lens moving. That means that someone must, for example, organize the current Canadian list in order of receipt and publish it, and the same thing has to happen for UK/Ireland, Europe, etc.

Of course sometimes weather will be bad for a participant to get out and shoot and if they only have a weekend window and that weekend is washed out, they could easily need to to keep the lens for more than a week.

But with the added organization mentioned above, I think most participants could turn it around in one week. Shoot on the weekend, post to the next person on Monday, a few days transit time and the next person has it for the next weekend.
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #621
Veteran Member

I felt that trying to limit it to a Max of 2 weeks would give people the time needed so they didn't feel rushed into taking pictures and I know that not everyone has time every day to shot but I felt that in a week or so they would be able to find the time somewhere.
I organized the Canadian list by geographic location in order to shorten the travel time between people, if you look at the history in the thread I have sort of been trying to shepard the lens through the US but it failed because one person had something happen in their life that threw the whole project in jeapordy.
If you look the person that the lens is on its way to has already decided whom it will go to next and has already contacted him so I think people may get it moving quicker this time. I will be keeping an eye on things and will do my best to keep the project moving.

Last edited by gokenin; 04-21-2010 at 03:10 PM.
04-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's pretty hard to imagine someone who couldn't find something to shoot in a week. I mean, here in Ireland it can rain for weeks at a time, with grey overcast skies the whole time. So one week is as good as eight weeks as far as that goes. But, on the other hand, there is such a thing as indoors shooting, and studio, and so on.

Maybe I am odd, but I try to shoot almost every day, so in a week that is already 4 days on average.

Still, if two weeks works better, so be it.

04-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #623
Veteran Member

well it is a maximum of two weeks if you can do it in a day thats great if you can get a group together and a day of shooting also good I am not saying that you have to keep it two weeks I am just saying after the 2 weeks if it doesnt move I plan on hounding you surfing
04-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #624

If the lens would travel to Asia, i would like to have it too. That is Cebu, Philippines
04-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #625
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree one week is not enough, 2 weeks should be plenty. If an emergency crops up, please say so.

Ok, a lot of these questions are getting re-hashed, and repeated over and over as it's hard to find the agreed terms deep inside all the previous forum posts in this thread.
I suggest a sticky with all the guidelines for nifty 50 possession and transferal all placed in one place for easy access.

Some of the content could be for example:

" The lens should be passed on with delicate care, including ALL original items it came with ie both caps. If parts are lost they should be replaced with the same quality items. If one cannot source the lost items within the 2 week period, one should send them on after the lens asap. "

I find it very hard to see how someone could agree to receive the lens, and then discredit the whole community by dissapearing off the planet, and not communicating. Quite inconsiderate.
If you have problems, it's ok, stuff happens, just let the next person, or SOMEONE know about it, and we'll do our best to help... right?

Pictures should be posted on the Flickr account, if possible (not essential), or at least on here. Details of the Flickr account login are to be passed on between those sending and receiving the lens at EVERY transferal.
(We could post the Flickr login detail in the sticky, but why make it that easy for the account to get corrupted?)

This is not an overly expensive item, it IS however a good lens, and should be treated with respect.

This is a great opportunity for people to have fun, show pictures of there own part of the planet, through their own eyes, and maybe get to know a few more like minded enthusiasts on this site.

Ok, peace everyone!
04-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
Ok, a lot of these questions are getting re-hashed, and repeated over and over as it's hard to find the agreed terms deep inside all the previous forum posts in this thread.
I suggest a sticky with all the guidelines for nifty 50 possession and transferal all placed in one place for easy access.
The first post in the thread could be edited to provide all the required info. Better yet, someone could host a web page with a summary and all required links. Then all that's needed is a link to this in the first post, in nic ebold letters.

Forum threads are not the best thing for (semi) permanent info.
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #627
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The first post in the thread could be edited to provide all the required info. Better yet, someone could host a web page with a summary and all required links. Then all that's needed is a link to this in the first post, in nic ebold letters.

Forum threads are not the best thing for (semi) permanent info.
The only thing about taking this off to its own webpage is that you no longer have ithere than I dont think you would have any more activity from this forum, since I contacted you and asked you to post in the Europe social group there has been increased activity here. I have also posted in the travel and get together threads hoping to boost some more attention. I dont think that would happen if we took this offsite? Also I dont have the expertise to do a webpage so if you want to create it by all means we would welcome it as an addition to this thread here I know a member did something like that when he did his Lego 365 project.
04-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, you misunderstand me. I wouldn't take the discussion off site, just put a summary page somewhere, so it can be updated to stay current and could be referred to by one constant URL. The ongoing discussion works fine right here.

I am also not volunteering (not at this point, anyway) since a) I am new to this project and b) I have too many other web projects.
04-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #629
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Eaglerapids (Idaho, USA) from Steve Beswick; 675m & 1086km TOTAL 29,226m & 46,739km
[/COLOR]
I know that the distance calculations are not really all that critical to the project, but 675 miles is not even close to the distance between Ontario California & Coeur d' Alene Idaho. Even as the bird flies it must be over 1,000 miles.
04-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #630
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I know that the distance calculations are not really all that critical to the project, but 675 miles is not even close to the distance between Ontario California & Coeur d' Alene Idaho. Even as the bird flies it must be over 1,000 miles.
thats my bad I did not have actual addresses to input into google maps to try and get distances