Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #886
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could I suggest that a strict time limit be put on each person's use of the lens? I had it for about three hours and still managed to do quite well. Then I read about others who have it for several weeks without shooting because they "can't find the time". Rather annoying, that.

Once it arrives how about three days of use? That way people who have been waiting for years will finally get a chance to use the damned thing.

If we did this, all who feel like procrastinating should simply strike their names off the list. They are inconveniencing others and ruining the whole idea of this project. Getting the nifty fifty should be a privilege, not a right.

11-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #887
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree a time limit would be good - maybe a week, max. But still, how can it be enforced? How about putting more lenses in circulation, say 3? Of course, there's a high probability some of those will fall into a 'black hole', too. But at least there's a chance we could make it through the list in our lifetimes . Just need a few willing donors.

Another thought - what about screening the participants somehow - like they'll need at least 500 posts here at PF.com to qualify? That would weed out the 'drive-by' forum members. .
11-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #888
Veteran Member

Yes, it's annoying that some people take weeks to take some pictures but the problem is that it occasionally falls into a black hole. And nobody realizes that it's missing for a couple of months and then it takes a couple of months to take action. There needs to be one person that can manage the project that knows exactly who has it and who is getting it next. And then can follow up with that person. Essentially a manager.

Having more than one lens would speed it up but in some ways it might encourage procrastinating. And make it extremely difficult to keep track who has which lens.
11-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #889
Veteran Member

The Biggest issue is we know who had it but he seems to have dropped of the face of the earth. I'm more concerned for his well being than the lens myself. the lens has so little value i can't picture someone deciding oh i'll just keep it and ignore the forum. there is more to this than meets the eye from my perspective
I agree though that once another lens is in circulation time needs to be limited and it needs to be tracked

11-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My suggestion was not made to avoid all problems, which can never happen. But I assume that if people know there is a time limit they will act accordingly.
11-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #891
Veteran Member

I plan on putting lens #3 into circulation next weekend. It will be an M50/1.7 since I'm not interested in waiting any longer. Overall things will be mostly the same as before but there will hopefully be some resemblance of organization.

1) updated website (discussed with rparmer) - overall the blog will be similar to my website - about, map, blog (3-4 sentences followed by captioned photos), photographer listing/bloglinks (by country), relevant links - hopefully this will be laid out by the weekend - I'm currently working on a map for a different website that I'm creating and I'm not sure how exactly to do it

2) I'll be coordinating who gets the lens and when (pretty much using the list here) but I'll be in email contact with them - most likely I'll have a list of the next 6-8 names with addresses and I'll email that out to those 6-8 people with the mailing order.

3) no set time limit but I expect email/PM's when you receive/send it. And I expect one weekend to be enough to get some interesting pics. So expect to be nagged if you have it for one week.

4) the same flickr will be used

5) the lens will make 6-8 stops in a country and then move on so it doesn't spend a year in the US

6) Do we want to use the old list? I don't even recognize most of the names and people may have signed up 2 yrs and are now inactive.

The new lens is an extra from an Ebay lot sitting at my mom's in MN, USA. I need the first recipient (USA) to inspect the lens. I'm kind of thinking of doing a repeat photographer since JaySherman lives close to my mom and he can give a good inspection with outstanding photos. The lens looked good on Ebay but...

Comments are welcome. I hope that I'm not overstepping my bounds on a community project but some management is needed to keep this going. And hopefully thrive.
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #892
Veteran Member

It sounds like we have an A50/1.7 to use. Now let's decide about the list. And I'll quit procrastinating and set up a website. And maybe all of that other stuff I'm putting off.

11-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #893
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in, thanks for resurrecting this project abacus07. I vote new list How do I sign up?
11-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #894
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
It sounds like we have an A50/1.7 to use. Now let's decide about the list. And I'll quit procrastinating and set up a website. And maybe all of that other stuff I'm putting off.
If you need any help with the web, feel free to ask.

And I'm definitely putting myself on the new list, too - I loved old project, I've participated too.
11-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #895
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
If you need any help with the web, feel free to ask.

And I'm definitely putting myself on the new list, too - I loved old project, I've participated too.
I'll need help making a fancy interactive map. I've been working on a different one but some technical stuff is eluding me. I'll just use wordpress for the website since I'm already using that and it's easy. I could use a cool banner for the site but that's a minor detail.

I think we'll make a new list since the other one is old and I don't feel like checking each name to see if they are currently active.

New list

Asia
abacus07 - Kaohsiung, Taiwan
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #896
Veteran Member

Voytech - Nyack, NY
11-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #897
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

USA
Crewl1 - Los Angeles, CA
12-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #898
Veteran Member

The website is alive but I still have a lot more content to add or update. right now I've just copied and pasted the info from rparmer's website (the about tab) but I'll be adding and subtracting from that when I have time. Overall the site is almost a direct copy of my personal site so the setup was easy. It's just a matter of adding content.

The Traveling Nifty Fifty

elkarrde, crewl1 and voytech - please send me your addresses by PM. I'll PM you tonight but I have to get out to take some photos.
12-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #899
Veteran Member

Okay, I've sent you PM.

And to officially put myself on a list:
elkarrde - Zagreb, Croatia, Europe
12-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #900
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Consider using a simple Google Map. If you make this public anyone can edit it. And you can embed it in the webpage easily. With more work you can use the API they provide to set up all the points in a spreadsheet and have them plotted -- lots of customisation control.