Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #961

QuoteOriginally posted by Spenz Quote
I have never gone out with just one lens before either...normally I'm messing around, switching it up to have the "right" lens or zooming a lot.
Haha... yeah, I know what you mean! A shutterbug friend of mine who I admire doesn't let a day pass in which he doesn't have his camera in hand -- he literally never leaves the house without it. It's his girlfriend... that according to his wife!. I asked how he manages having to carry around extra lenses everywhere he goes, every day. He said he doesn't; he simply picks one lens each morning and whatever happens, happens. Of course I haven't gotten to the point yet of carrying my camera 24/7, but I could see how having just the one lens (and even one focal length, like the Fifty) could actually be liberating rather than restricting.

02-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #962
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have centino's photos blogged. The nifty fifty goes back to New York

I would be interested in any comments regarding the blog layout. There was a comment about the text being hard to read so I changed it to a whiter grey. This that I should be doing is getting the map done, finishing the final touches on the rest of the website and blogging faster. Maybe that will be my goal when I get back from this weekend's 4 day trip.

next up with the lens

woolly - USA
noelcmn - south africa
lenscribe - south africa
02-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #963

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I would be interested in any comments regarding the blog layout. There was a comment about the text being hard to read so I changed it to a whiter grey. This that I should be doing is getting the map done, finishing the final touches on the rest of the website and blogging faster. Maybe that will be my goal when I get back from this weekend's 4 day trip.
If you google it, you'll find that some studies show that white text over a black background is less readable than for example the opposite. Doesn't make a difference to me, however. I'd say you did fine job putting together the site.
02-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #964

I received the lens in the mail yesterday! Went out tonight and had some fun, will post soon!

02-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #965
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by centino67 Quote
If you google it, you'll find that some studies show that white text over a black background is less readable than for example the opposite. Doesn't make a difference to me, however. I'd say you did fine job putting together the site.
Those studies are white text and black background vs black text and white background. I'm keeping the dark background for the photos and the whiter text seems to be easier to read. The non-blog pages still use the grey text if you want to compare. The unintended side effect is that the text will disappear when printed... So I might go back to the original color.

tbh - the site is a copy of my personal site so it was easy to setup. the only part that is taking time is finishing all of the content but I think I'm not planning any trips for a few weeks so I'll have some extra time to work on this site and my waterfall site.
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #966
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those studies are white text and black background vs black text and white background. I'm keeping the dark background for the photos and the whiter text seems to be easier to read. The non-blog pages still use the grey text if you want to compare. The unintended side effect is that the text will disappear when printed... So I might go back to the original color.
You could also just create a duplicate of your current stylesheet with the colors adjusted for print, and link to it in your header with the appropriate CSS Media Type attribute.
02-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #967

PHOTOS ARE UP!!!!!! Lens will be in the mail to South Africa this afternoon!

02-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #968
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Woolly Quote
PHOTOS ARE UP!!!!!! Lens will be in the mail to South Africa this afternoon!
It's impressive how unique everyone's style is with the same lens. Did you post process the photos a lot or are the great colors due to great light? Regardless those are outstanding.

I'm looking for any South Africans to add to the list while the lens is there. I'm also looking for any Europeans since that is the next destination for the lens. I plan to go thru the old list and I will contact anyone active that is on the list.
02-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #969
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It's impressive how unique everyone's style is with the same lens. Did you post process the photos a lot or are the great colors due to great light? Regardless those are outstanding.

I'm looking for any South Africans to add to the list while the lens is there. I'm also looking for any Europeans since that is the next destination for the lens. I plan to go thru the old list and I will contact anyone active that is on the list.
Hi everyone,
I was not aware of this effort until I was contacted by a fellow South African Pentaxian, Noel and invited to join. Having researched the requirements and viewed many of the photos on Flickr I must say I am impressed and would like to add my name to the hat.
All the best,
Roel
02-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #970
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to get on the list at some point as well. Such a great bunch of photos from all over!
02-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #971

Thanks for the kind words! I do very minor post processing to include a little bit of contrast and saturation adjustment but it isnt much at all. The morning that I shot those the sun had just crested the mountains and hitting the clouds perfectly. I came back home absolutley pleased at how well things went. I think I shot close to 300 photos with the lens because I was so nervous that I wouldnt meet everyones standards, it is good to hear that you guys like them!
03-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting with bated breath for the lens to arrive.
Roel, great that you are joining.
A few other South African P-forumites have joined, so looks like it will be a bumper SA edition coming up. Waiting for Abacus07 to confirm procedures about new additions.

Woolly, like them a lot. Thanks for sending the lens.

Looks like this time the lens will be moving along quite nicely, and regularly.
03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #973
Veteran Member

Noel will be coordinating the SA nifty fifty logistics. I haven't seen many photos from South Africa before so it's pretty cool that there are 6+ interested in the project. I have heard that South Africa is an amazing country to visit though. Right now I'm knocking out a few Asian countries every year but I'll visit Africa and hopefully South Africa someday.
03-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #974
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The list looks as follows (in no particular order)

Noelcmn
Lenscribe
Roel
Johan Kruger
Gray
Georgecape
Chuckie
and one more to be added.
The request is that only 8 pentaxians be on the list, just so the lens can move along to the next country/continent.
Once I have the final tally of 8, I will arrange the logistics of who gets it next, pentaxians will be contacted for addresses, as well as to whom the lens should be forwarded to. Details of the account on FlickR will be sent as well.
To those participating, please take note of the following:
One important thing is that each photo is captioned in flickr and it's great when I'm sent a short paragraph for an intro to the blog. then it's just copy and paste. Quick and easy.
So please contact Abacus07 once you have chosen your photos to upload. He will also provide the details of the blog. We are trying to keep the number of photos down to 6-8, though it is difficult, and allowances are made for more. Please be aware that the Flickr account allows only 200 photos before we have to create another account.
Enjoy - fellow pentaxians.
Abacus07- SA is indeed an amazing country, from just about every perspective. We hope we have the pleasure of hosting you one day, as we do for all other pentaxians.
Cheerio
Noel
03-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #975

This sounds like a great idea and could be a lot of fun.
Yes Noel, I would like to join this venture.

My first Pentax camera was a ME Super with a 50mm F1.7 lens - it is an amazing little lens and I have a lot of fond memories using it.

Last edited by Paul Pheiffer; 03-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.