Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #1066
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the list for the traveling nifty fifty. that's it. so once we get started rolling we might run out of participants. If I missed anyone or if you want in just reply in this thread. I will be MIA next week traveling all over Taiwan.

Australia
Loucio

US
v5planet
muwa
Iguckert79
post_eos

Canada
Arn

02-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #1067
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd be in for sure if I still had a PK mount! Maybe next year.. we'll see how the FF offering turns out!
02-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #1068

Hi,

I haven't updated you folks in quite a while, been busy with work and the Chinese New Year here in Singapore. I don't know how to break the news to you all. I got good news and bad news, I finally bought the lens last Feb. 2 but the bad news is as I was inspecting the lens today, I saw some fungus growth on the side, this is my first time to actually see fungus lens. I feel stupid really! The lens seller would not reply to my messages so I do not see the lens getting replaced or my money coming back. When we were dealing at Orchard the lens looked OK with the UV filter and the barrel also looks nice, so we just made a quick deal after some test shots with my K-30.

The fungus doesn't seem to affect IQ but at some point when it multiplies I know it will. And I don't want to send a lens with a defect to the project. What to do with the lens? Do we continue with the one I currently have? Frankly, I do not have money to shell out to buy another lens. I also recently got a KX film body, so I spent any spare money I have.

Photos of the lens are here:

It consists of a lens cap, UV filter, rear cap and the lens itself.

Back of the lens:

The ff. is shot with an M 50mm f1.7 using a close up filter, see the fungus starting to grow at the side:

I might seem like I am making excuses or making up stories, but I am not. I really want the project to go on, but I am really lost right now. After 2 mishaps with the lens, one getting lost in the Philippine Post Office and now a defective replacement, I feel like a jinx to the project.

Regards,

Chester

Last edited by drivingback; 02-12-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling
02-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #1069
Veteran Member

If the fungus is light and hasn't caused much/any damage to the glass we can clean it?

02-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #1070

Hi Chester,

I think you have gone out of your way to fix a problem that was not due to any of your wrong doing.
If the IQ is still OK, let the lens go on it's travels. I believe there is a guy in the USA that is very good at fixing lens ailments. Hopefully when the lens is doing it's rounds in that part of the world, some good Samaritan might just decide to send it there for some TLC.

Does anyone know: will the light from a UV-lamp stop the growth for the time being?
02-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #1071
Veteran Member

that's some tough luck that you have had. I've read about lens fungus and it's certainly undesirable but it gets overblown imo. It would suck to pay full price but it will still take excellent photos and I haven't heard of fungus growing month to month. I think it's alright to send the lens. Hopefully the Philippine lens makes it through at some point and this becomes a spare but I think it's more likely that the fungified lens gets lost before it blooms.
02-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #1072

Thank you all for the support! I'll be sending the lens then this Saturday. It's the only free time I have. Hopefully some good things will happen on the project along the way. Thank you again for making me become a part of this cool project!

02-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #1073

The lens is now on its way to Australia. Thank you.
02-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #1074
Veteran Member

Woo its on its way! hope I can do the nifty justice!
02-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #1075
Pentaxian

good luck and happy shooting guys!
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #1076
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the fifty is in Canada I would love to sign up for the list of recipients.
Cheers
04-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #1077
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The fifty arrived safely in sunny Seattle a few days ago straight from Melbourne. She's a little moldy to be sure, but that won't stop the photons:

Not my usual subjects, but it was surprisingly relaxing walking around town and snapping today after work with a manual focus lens in hand.

Anyway, I will get the lens shipped off to its next recipient here in the next couple days!
04-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #1078

Chris, awesome photos! I particularly like "Point Perspective" and "Yellow Sticker Dude". And it's nice to hear the lens is back in business.
04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #1079
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While the lens is in the US, if someone wants to send it to me, I can take a stab at cleaning the fungus. I promise not to make it any worse, and only delay it for one shipping day. I can tell by the photo of the rear element that someone has already tried to open that.
04-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #1080
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just1MoreDave -- I didn't look super closely, but it seemed like there was a fair amount of damage to the coatings on the internal elements. It's possible someone's opened it up to clean it before after whatever was in there got pretty bad, but there is certainly still a fair amount of active growth on the inside of the first elements at the mount end.

Anyway. I just got her shipped out today. She's headed down to California for post_eos next. Should arrive by end of day, Wednesday, said Fedex. Let's keep this party going!