Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I would be surprised if I'm the only one to take the occasional phone snap. But sure, even counting the phone I won't have any tagged images at all from before, what, 2010-ish? And only a few until my wife got her Sony somethingsomething with GPS in 2014 and I got the K-1 in 2017.

On our visit to São Tomé the Sony was the only GPS enabled camera we had, and I see that there are no pins inside Ôbo national park. The humidity in the rain forest made the Sony stay in a plastic bag the whole time Only the K-3 and the Olympus Tough saw any action there. WR for the win!

Thanks for the idea, it's a fun way of tracking one's travels. Zooming in reveals the route we travelled through Kruger national park
That's amazing.. have you posted an album of your safari publicly?

04-24-2021, 12:38 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All seven continents and sixty countries for me; lots of albums on Flickr (many incomplete) with most images geotagged, either by camera or manually later. Flickr maps them onto eleven map pages and since I don't generally use LR, I can't export them to PF. Great idea Matt, and really interesting to see where others have been.
04-24-2021, 04:12 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
All seven continents and sixty countries for me
I am jealous! I only have North America, Europe, Asia (minor) and (North) Africa. I aim to hit them all before and fill out a lot more of those partials before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I am planning on getting to Australia and New Zealand in 2022.

This thread has reminded me of why I might want to use geotagging on a few of my photos. I do add many to my Flickr map.
04-24-2021, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
That's amazing.. have you posted an album of your safari publicly?
I have some albums on Flickr in various conditions of completeness. I know that the South Africa album hasn't been updated after the latest trip, so those images are still scattered throughout the stream only. I really should organise my images better

South Africa | Flickr
Namibia | Flickr
Zambia | Flickr
Madagascar | Flickr

04-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #20
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

All seven continents and sixty countries for me
My impression is that when I meet someone who's been "everywhere" there's a good chance that he/she is an Aussie. I have been to "only" three continents and (without having counted exactly) about 40-45 countries. I don't expect to expand that a lot as we seem to be drawn back to Africa whenever an opportunity appears.
04-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My impression is that when I meet someone who's been "everywhere" there's a good chance that he/she is an Aussie. I have been to "only" three continents and (without having counted exactly) about 40-45 countries. I don't expect to expand that a lot as we seem to be drawn back to Africa whenever an opportunity appears.
Yeah, a not uncommon observation that I think should be extended to include our Kiwi mates. I'm not sure why this is the case, perhaps it's a reaction to our isolation from the rest of the world; there's probably a PhD or two to be had in evaluating and explaining it.
04-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, a not uncommon observation that I think should be extended to include our Kiwi mates. I'm not sure why this is the case, perhaps it's a reaction to our isolation from the rest of the world; there's probably a PhD or two to be had in evaluating and explaining it.
It may have something to do with the fact that some areas declare themselves "the centre of the universe" and exert gravitational pull (Ahem.. Toronto for example). As some one not from here, I find it rubs me now and again how narrow some views can be. I have aspirations of more divers travel. Scandinavia, Asia.. that'd be two more continents for me.. but I'm a late starter, I didn't get into an airplane until I was 25.

04-25-2021, 04:05 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

there's probably a PhD or two to be had in evaluating and explaining it.
I agree, someone might have done a study on it already, who outside the ivy covered walls reads academic papers?

Some of the travel is surely driven by personality, and some by opportunity.

Though there is value in travelling extensively and widely, there is also value in knowing a few places intimately.
04-25-2021, 04:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

USA (Seattle and Alaska only!)
Canada (Victoria only )
South America (Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Ushuaia, Santiago)
England (fair coverage, but especially London, Cornwall and Oxfordshire)
Ireland (just the republic)
Europe (France and northern Italy only at this stage)
Middle East (if Doha, Bahrain and Dubai airports count!)
Asia (just China and Japan, and only briefly)
Australia (I've been everywhere, man)
New Zealand (all over, but most time in the Southern Alps)
Antarctica (just nibbled the edges.....)
04-25-2021, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

V-A-V people who travel everywhere.

We were at Disneyland, Florida attending a show. The MC started asking "Have we any guests from New Mexico?" several hands went up. "Any from New York?" A large number of hands and a mild cheer. "How about Virginia?" Modest number of hands and a slightly louder cheer. As he went through the states the number of hands varied, sometimes none (Idaho, Alaska) and generally the cheers got louder or at least more enthusiastic. But there was a murmur developing through the crowd, a restlessness. "OK," said the MC. "Anyone from CALIFORNIA?" The place exploded in a deafening roar. Californians go everywhere, in large numbers. They're as ubiquitous as ants.
04-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

True, Kiwis, too. But the most extreme cases seem to be from the West Island One guy I met (in Zimbabwe IIRC) had been on the road for a while and hadn't visited Australia for the last 9 years. But, as he said, "next year I'm turning 40 and I'll settle down. It's a promise I've made my wife" As it turns out he had met his (Mauritian) wife on his travels, so she knew well what she was up to. Or so he claimed
04-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
It may have something to do with the fact that some areas declare themselves "the centre of the universe" and exert gravitational pull (Ahem.. Toronto for example). As some one not from here, I find it rubs me now and again how narrow some views can be.
Aren't we all the centre of the Universe? Ok, I guess Norwegians aren't, as we live on the edge of the world - but we're still better than everyone else, and not afraid of letting the world know

QuoteQuote:
I have aspirations of more divers travel. Scandinavia, Asia.. that'd be two more continents for me.. but I'm a late starter, I didn't get into an airplane until I was 25.
My first time in a big airplane was at 10 when we went to New York. We spent 2 weeks touring the New England states and a further 2 weeks based in Manchester, NH while my dad attended a course there.
05-10-2021, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread has given me an idea to take at least one geotagged image in every place I stop to capture images on my trip from Virginia to Colorado and back.

My first time on a plane was at the age of 4, and I've been filled with wanderlust ever since.

I can't wait for my next opportunity for international air travel, either, so many places to visit, or revisit.
11-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
USA (Seattle and Alaska only!)
Canada (Victoria only )
South America (Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Ushuaia, Santiago)
England (fair coverage, but especially London, Cornwall and Oxfordshire)
Ireland (just the republic)
Europe (France and northern Italy only at this stage)
Middle East (if Doha, Bahrain and Dubai airports count!)
Asia (just China and Japan, and only briefly)
Australia (I've been everywhere, man)
New Zealand (all over, but most time in the Southern Alps)
Antarctica (just nibbled the edges.....)
Revisiting some threads I lost track of. - there is no shame to having "only" visited Victoria - it's where I'm from and is a beautiful place - truth be told, many Victorians never leave the island. There is so much more to Canada though - Still trying to get to Quebec City myself.