Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 06:49 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where Ya Been?

I have more than one catalogue, but thought that this was something kind of fun for those using Lightroom or similar programs which will take your Geo Tagged images and plots them on a map.

What does your map look like?

Attached Images

04-22-2021, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

You need to get out more, lots of empty space on your map

Being a paranoid sort, I don't often use geotagging when I post to social media. I should use it for some of my hikes though.
04-22-2021, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

The map function in my old version of Lightroom doesn't work any more, but exporting the coordinates to Google Maps gave me this result. The tags from Ethiopia, Uganda, and Kenya must be my wife's recent visits as I didn't have any geotagging devices when I visited there. "Missing" tags (i.e. pre-geotag) are Tanzania, Zambia, Namibia, Cameroun, Cape Verde, and a bunch of European countries.

Hmm, and the pin just south of Ghana looks to be placed at N0, E0, so I guess the GPS hadn't calibrated for that one

Last edited by savoche; 04-22-2021 at 07:58 AM.
04-22-2021, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Travels

Not overly keen on the Map module in Lightroom but this is what it gives me overall and zoomed in a bit on the crowded portion:

Attached Images

04-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
3 continents! Wow! Thanks for sharing!
04-22-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
3 continents! Wow! Thanks for sharing!
Yet to visit Canada though. My wife has second cousins out there; they live in Erin and used to breed Canadian horses.
04-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
Yet to visit Canada though. My wife has second cousins out there; they live in Erin and used to breed Canadian horses.
Erin is not so far away

(BTW I only just learned recently that we had our own breed of horse)
04-22-2021, 06:12 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately I don't have GPS capability, I wish they would have put that in instead of on camera flash
Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.05.41 PM.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  170.9 KB

04-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Unfortunately I don't have GPS capability, I wish they would have put that in instead of on camera flash
Attachment 531786

I got a PM identifying the game as being limited to K-1 Owners only since its the one with the onboard GPS - I can admit that I only occassionally packed my O-GPS1 for my K5 IIs.

---------- Post added 04-22-21 at 07:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
You need to get out more, lots of empty space on your map

Being a paranoid sort, I don't often use geotagging when I post to social media. I should use it for some of my hikes though.

Too funny

---------- Post added 04-22-21 at 07:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The map function in my old version of Lightroom doesn't work any more, but exporting the coordinates to Google Maps gave me this result. The tags from Ethiopia, Uganda, and Kenya must be my wife's recent visits as I didn't have any geotagging devices when I visited there. "Missing" tags (i.e. pre-geotag) are Tanzania, Zambia, Namibia, Cameroun, Cape Verde, and a bunch of European countries.

Hmm, and the pin just south of Ghana looks to be placed at N0, E0, so I guess the GPS hadn't calibrated for that one
I appreciate that you took the effort to drop into Google Maps - Its a handy tool too.. and you're well travelled with 2 Continents - Thanks for playing along!
04-22-2021, 11:14 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a PM identifying the game as being limited to K-1 Owners only since its the one with the onboard GPS - I can admit that I only occassionally packed my O-GPS1 for my K5 IIs.
I would be surprised if I'm the only one to take the occasional phone snap. But sure, even counting the phone I won't have any tagged images at all from before, what, 2010-ish? And only a few until my wife got her Sony somethingsomething with GPS in 2014 and I got the K-1 in 2017.

On our visit to São Tomé the Sony was the only GPS enabled camera we had, and I see that there are no pins inside Ôbo national park. The humidity in the rain forest made the Sony stay in a plastic bag the whole time Only the K-3 and the Olympus Tough saw any action there. WR for the win!

I appreciate that you took the effort to drop into Google Maps - Its a handy tool too.. and you're well travelled with 2 Continents - Thanks for playing along!
Thanks for the idea, it's a fun way of tracking one's travels. Zooming in reveals the route we travelled through Kruger national park

04-23-2021, 04:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of the images on my maps have had the co-ordinates added in LR. Especially the film scans
As such there are some just dumped onto a particular city rather than being very accurate atm (ie Morocco) - accuracy requires time and thought
04-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to post this nothing message just to make sure this threads gets onto my subscribed threads list
04-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #13
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
A lot of the images on my maps have had the co-ordinates added in LR. Especially the film scans
As such there are some just dumped onto a particular city rather than being very accurate atm (ie Morocco) - accuracy requires time and thought
I did that for some shots before the Maps section stopped working (thanks to Adobe dropping support). It's still possible, of course, but quite a bit more work is required.

Maybe there's a map based tagging tool for adding coordinates to the exif out there somewhere. I haven't checked.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'm going to post this nothing message just to make sure this threads gets onto my subscribed threads list
Or you could click on the "Subscribe to this thread" button located over the first post
04-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No map as yet, but reminiscing with M there is only one of the 50 states where we have not at least driven, hiked, camped, or stayed at a motel/hotel and that is Arkansas. The closest we came to adding that state to our list was during a cross-country flight to Oregon, with a stopover at Dallas-Fort Worth. The flight was diverted to Little Rock Arkansas because of thunderstorms in Texas. So we were in a plane on the tarmac in Arkansas, but no boots or tires on the ground. Inevitably, there are some states where we've been multiple times and covered many places (California, Florida) others that we've been to only once and only to limited areas (Idaho, North & South Dakota, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama). For the future we've scheduled a re-visit to Hawaii this Fall, specifically to Maui and Oahu, islands not explored during our first trip there over a decade ago.

Our out of the USA travels have taken us to: Canada, Ecuador (especially Galapagos Islands), England, Ireland, Azores (part of or owned by Portugal), Scotland, Iceland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Czechoslovakia, South Africa, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Tanganyika, Namibia, New Zealand, Australia. M has also gone on professional travel when I was unable to come along for various reasons, so she's also been to Mexico, China and Japan. For the future Scandinavia is high on our list. So were Spain & Portugal, but the pandemic has put those locations to some years ahead.

I should add that M is an enthusiastic traveler, so she normally starts the planning for a trip and usually schedules guided tours. I generally do logistics on places to stay night-by-night and especially if within the USA, reserve a rental car if one will be needed.
04-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In case you don’t know (and to all)

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote

Hi everyone,
No need to post an «*empty post*» when one want to subscribe to any specific thread.
There is a link Subscribe to this thread you can activate (at the very top of the thread) that does that.

Oups!
Already posted by Savoche...

Last edited by mhoule418; 04-23-2021 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Unnecessary post!