Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #301
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hard weekend with long days out there. Plenty of shots unedited from saturday. I have barely managed to edit and post the ones into SIC.

05-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Not to spoil your joy, but there's 31st still to shoot.
Can you see I am looking forward to the end of May.
05-30-2021, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #303
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Can you see I am looking forward to the end of May.
Why would anyone want May to end? Great month. Great lens.
05-30-2021, 12:08 PM   #304
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to spoil your joy, but there's 31st still to shoot.
my pedantic ass almost posted this very thing.....

05-30-2021, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not looking forward to the month ending. Just means I'll be turning the big "5-0" next month. I may switch to a 50mm for the month of June just for that reason...
05-30-2021, 02:28 PM - 3 Likes   #306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Just means I'll be turning the big "5-0" next month
Enjoy the view from my side of the hill Especially on this weekend, I am reminded of a few friends who did not reach this milestone, so I am thankful for every day above ground.
05-30-2021, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #307
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I'm not looking forward to the month ending. Just means I'll be turning the big "5-0" next month. I may switch to a 50mm for the month of June just for that reason...

as Rob said, every day is gravy..... I hit 50 a few years ago, nothing but another birthday above ground....

I'm shooting a Nifty Fifty for June - it'll be fun!

05-30-2021, 06:50 PM - 4 Likes   #308
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one more day to go, but I can write up my month with the Summicron-R:

I wasn't expecting to buy this lens at all - I was browsing through the Marketplace here and this lens (along with an Elmarit-R 135/2.8) were offered, both Leitax-converted to k-mount...

I contacted the seller and a deal was struck - the Summicron-R has a speck in the front lens-group that the previous owner guaranteed that I would never see - and he's been right about it....

anyway - this is a dense, compact 90mm lens; it's not a macro or close-focusing lens, but with a usable MFD of just under 2'..

it has a built-in, telescoping hood and a 55mm filter ring - so, not a ponderous lens at all....

firstly, a note about Wide-Open May; the Summicron-R is not happy at f2 at all - you'll get the shot, but open it up to f2.8 or even f4 and you'll be much happier...

but when you do slow down and use the Summicron-R, you'll be rewarded with smooth bokeh, consistently accurate colors, and seriously sharp details...

and second - occasional CA from this lens is really the only downside I found all month...

and some of favorites from the month:

for me - a surprise purchase of a surprisingly useful lens...
05-30-2021, 08:34 PM - 6 Likes   #309
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Single in May 2021

So, month #5 with the Pentax-DA 21mm f/3.2 LTD HD. Still not tired of this amazing piece of glass - nor am I finding it limiting, except for the to-be-expected situations when there's a bird or something that requires a telephoto.

It definitely has a je ne sais quoi about it. I don't manage to get that into every photo - nor to truly know how to access it, as it were. I think that might be something worth studying.

Anyway, my favourite of the month is not focused properly, but has my boy, his smile - and I think some of that je ne sais quoi:

Growing and grinning by -Occasionally Focused-

Others I particularly like from May:

That tree at dawn by -Occasionally Focused-

To Flickr-10 by -Occasionally Focused-

That tree through glass by -Occasionally Focused-

I shot a lot wide-open this month; I was pleased to note that it remains perfectly sharp - albeit not as sharp as f/4 and further - and isn’t full of CA (there was a little, but not much, and easily removed).

On to June!

---------- Post added 31st May 2021 at 01:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

for me - a surprise purchase of a surprisingly useful lens...

Really nice results 8)

Last edited by Tsuken; 05-30-2021 at 08:53 PM.
05-31-2021, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hard weekend with long days out there. Plenty of shots unedited from saturday. I have barely managed to edit and post the ones into SIC.
Same here, about 500 exposures on the weekend, lots of failed macro shots, but only ~20 for the SIC combined, so hope to be able catch up with posting and commenting today. Still no chance the test out the filters on the FA 15-30mm and today will be hockey practice (2nd time this year), so I'll be lucky if I get any shots in today.
05-31-2021, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Still not tired of this amazing piece of glass
I fell that way about the DA 21mm and the DA 40 XS, it's great to have a lens or two that can remain on a camera for months at a time.

I enjoyed the ProMaster (Tamron?) Spectra XR 28-200mm, a real piece of serendipity since I received in in a lot purchase of camera gear and it turned out to be a great lens in almost all situations, in short, a great walk-around lens that I don't hesitate to grab when I leave the house no matter the destination.
05-31-2021, 05:43 AM   #312
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice results 8)
thank you...
05-31-2021, 06:27 AM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
This really is a stellar lens. The sharpness is quite superb as is the colour rendering. A really good month
05-31-2021, 06:28 AM   #314
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
This really is a stellar lens. The sharpness is quite superb as is the colour rendering. A really good month
thank you.....
05-31-2021, 06:30 AM - 4 Likes   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, month #5 with the Pentax-DA 21mm f/3.2 LTD HD. Still not tired of this amazing piece of glass -
It is such a lovely combination, the 21mm & the KP. Another great month

---------- Post added 31-05-21 at 06:49 AM ----------

This was a safety month for me. I haven't sic'd the 35mm f2.8 limited for a while but I knew it would be a delight. (Its dedicated folder has over 1k shots in it). Much like @tsuken s 21mm limited I could live with this lens 24/7 and not want for anything else. Next month I am swapping it out for old school. I need to push myself so, M42, 100mm, Macro, that should do it this has been a momentous month with an enforced shift in my shooting. Losing street was a big deal and it took a while for me to get over it and settle on a new direction. The 35mm was the perfect lens to help me do it.