Show Printable Version 374 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
enjoy your masked freedom
" There once was a free people..."

I've had to resort to safeties, but my weekend was so rich in images I could do a week or two before I exhaust the backlog.

05-05-2021, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #122
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I've had to resort to safeties
Strictly speaking, at least to my understanding, "safeties" are snapshots taken on the appropriate day in case later opportunities do not present themselves.

Pulling a shot from another day in to fill a hole is another thing. A mulligan? A spare? A cheat? Whatever you call it, I have certainly been guilty on several occasions, so no judgement here
05-05-2021, 04:29 AM - 2 Likes   #123
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've understood the rules as the shot for the day comes from the day - if you don't have a shot from the day, you don't have a shot to post....

but that also may be my interpretation...
05-05-2021, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've understood the rules as the shot for the day comes from the day - if you don't have a shot from the day, you don't have a shot to post....

but that also may be my interpretation...
I am with pepperberry on this not that I would mind if the late post was utterly epic

05-05-2021, 05:03 AM   #125
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am with pepperberry on this not that I would mind if the late post was utterly epic
agreed - there aren't many hard and fast rules and we rely on the honor system for participants to keep themselves in line, etc....
05-05-2021, 05:55 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think my flickr account has 18000+ images in it lol. Given how long it takes me to trim my favourite shots from the year down to just 100 ready for a photobook, I don't think I will be weeding flicker anytime soon
Mine not so many, but its become an important curation tool for my early favourites as I lost a hard drive a few years back which caused me to assess redundancy in my catalogue. Now I buy pocket drives two at a time, and on import save to both, leaving one as a master, and another as a working. Both are onsite storage so for really important things, I'll upload to a cloud storage service (ie paid gigs or important family event documentation). Depending on who the customer is, it could be going to smug mug, box, Onedrive, or Google photos (usually their preference). I'm onto my 10th Blurb Book family album which I gift to grand parents and my wife at Christmas time, and I've done a couple of other books up.

Get them printed Peter - you cannot measure the fulfilment of holding a large format print in your hand - especially bound in hard cover with an image wrap.
05-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #127
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got 82mm 3-400 variable ND filter to go with DFA*85. I might need it to be able to shoot wide open in sunny weather.

05-05-2021, 07:43 AM   #128
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I think my flickr account has 18000+ images in it lol. Given how long it takes me to trim my favourite shots from the year down to just 100 ready for a photobook, I don't think I will be weeding flicker anytime soon
I have 1200 in Flickr and 3900 in Zonerama. Long way to go to your numbers.
05-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #129
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Strictly speaking, at least to my understanding, "safeties" are snapshots taken on the appropriate day in case later opportunities do not present themselves.
You are probably right, but there is a certain state of mind while taking the shot that different those in my mind. Occasionally something I consider safety work turn out quite good shot. And there have been times when I have put in time and effort only to come out with nothing impressive.
05-05-2021, 08:40 AM - 5 Likes   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know.. I keep quiet about "safety' shots because we cant walk in another shoes. If some one declares a safety, don't feel compelled to comment, and probably more importantly don't critique.

There does exist a certain philosophy around discipline, habit, and anything "worth doing is worth doing well". The purpose of this group in many regards is to become better photographers by limiting oneself. The limitations are clearly stated in the first post of each monthly discussion thread. One lens, one photo per day. That's it. There are no policemen with whistles and ticket books to fine you for not adhering to the rules. That being said, the worst lie you can tell, is the one you tell your self. Like a golfer with gimme's it is a game against the self. Are you a scratch golfer? Do you go out and give it your best when you are on the links? Are you trying to refine an aspect of your game? When you are on the links do you take your mulligans and pick up your puts when within a clubs length? In those scenarios the golfers don't really get better. If you cut corners on your Single In, or Daily in for that matter.. I'm inclined to think, similarly to the golf comparison, the value of the exercise is lost. But that is between you, and yourself. If you are going to make a safety, I hope that you practice some good photography - apply some rule of composition, a clean background, level horizons, and for the love of Pete, clone out the dust bunnies

Things I value from Single Challenges:
Did you learn some thing new?
Did you make something you are proud of?
Did you have some fun?
Did you make a friend?

Finally - Life happens - no one is getting paid by this game, and we're not married to each other. If you miss your photo because of a life event there is no shame in that. If you miss a life event because you are distracted by making a photo that is probably not a desirable outcome. Were you prepared to capture and share that life event with us? We should be honoured to be along and considered worth sharing those moments with.
05-05-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #131
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

sing it, matt!
05-05-2021, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, Matt got my vote. I like to comment on safeties, but only from a point of saying what I like Sometimes a safety works well as a test platform. Regarding our community, in all the time I have been here, which isn't that long, it has always been a safe and nurturing space and I genuinely believe it has had a significant hand in my improvement. OK, time to post some more poorly exposed jpegs
05-05-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding our community, in all the time I have been here, which isn't that long, it has always been a safe and nurturing space and I genuinely believe it has had a significant hand in my improvement.
I love this - me too!
05-05-2021, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
You know.. I keep quiet about "safety' shots because we cant walk in another shoes. If some one declares a safety, don't feel compelled to comment, and probably more importantly don't critique.

There does exist a certain philosophy around discipline, habit, and anything "worth doing is worth doing well". The purpose of this group in many regards is to become better photographers by limiting oneself. The limitations are clearly stated in the first post of each monthly discussion thread. One lens, one photo per day. That's it. There are no policemen with whistles and ticket books to fine you for not adhering to the rules. That being said, the worst lie you can tell, is the one you tell your self. Like a golfer with gimme's it is a game against the self. Are you a scratch golfer? Do you go out and give it your best when you are on the links? Are you trying to refine an aspect of your game? When you are on the links do you take your mulligans and pick up your puts when within a clubs length? In those scenarios the golfers don't really get better. If you cut corners on your Single In, or Daily in for that matter.. I'm inclined to think, similarly to the golf comparison, the value of the exercise is lost. But that is between you, and yourself. If you are going to make a safety, I hope that you practice some good photography - apply some rule of composition, a clean background, level horizons, and for the love of Pete, clone out the dust bunnies

Things I value from Single Challenges:
Did you learn some thing new?
Did you make something you are proud of?
Did you have some fun?
Did you make a friend?

Finally - Life happens - no one is getting paid by this game, and we're not married to each other. If you miss your photo because of a life event there is no shame in that. If you miss a life event because you are distracted by making a photo that is probably not a desirable outcome. Were you prepared to capture and share that life event with us? We should be honoured to be along and considered worth sharing those moments with.

Words of wisdom, Matt. Many thumbs up

(And it’s probably a safety of sully for me today… Left the camera at home again due to the weather forecast)

---------- Post added 6th May 2021 at 07:35 AM ----------

Well, Matt got my vote. I like to comment on safeties, but only from a point of saying what I like Sometimes a safety works well as a test platform. Regarding our community, in all the time I have been here, which isn't that long, it has always been a safe and nurturing space and I genuinely believe it has had a significant hand in my improvement. OK, time to post some more poorly exposed jpegs

It’s the best! 100% agree 8)
05-05-2021, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just 10 days to go.. and this posting 6 messages after 8pm every day is killing me... I'm just not that social (Who am I kidding right?)