Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in June 2021

Welcome everyone to the Single In June 2021 challenge!

Theme days:

Sunday, 6th June: METAL

Sunday, 13th June: WALLPAPER (photograph something that would make a nice background image on your phone, tablet, computer, etc.)

Monday, 21st June: B/SELFIES

Sunday, 27th June: MONOCHROME

Aim of the Game: To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these wonít be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, itís hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please donít be shy if you donít have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone elseís. Itís a very friendly group and with regular commenting, youíll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: Itís great fun. Youíll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and youíll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one youíve chosen. In the comment banter youíll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (itís a challenge, remember) but youíll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesnít help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The groupís name is ďMonthly Photo ChallengesĒ. Youíll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. Youíll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, youíll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challengeís stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - itís on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, youíll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographerís parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each dayís picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo youíre using.

The thread youíre painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and youíll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. Itís the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this monthís challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, donít worry. If you have any problems, please ask. Weíre a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here Ö. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON Z 6  Photo 
05-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, yeah....

(lens tbd)
05-25-2021, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Sure, I'm in. Not sure about the lens, yet. After a month with the GR3 I might go with a longer FL. OTOH, I don't remember using the DA15 anytime recently, so that might be a choice.
05-25-2021, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's been so fun shooting DAF*85 wide open that I haven't given any thought for June. I'll get back in few days.

05-26-2021, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me in. I am planning on using my Tak 100mm f4 macro, if I get it back from loan in time lol. I have had it for years but never used it a great deal, so its about time I did. The alternative is an early 60s preset Tak 135mm f3.5. The last two months have been 50 &35 so its time to go long. Next month marks two years since i sic'd my 55-300mm wr so that is on the cards for July

---------- Post added 26-05-21 at 01:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
It's been so fun shooting DAF*85 wide open that I haven't given any thought for June. I'll get back in few days.
Have another month with the 85mm we would be quite happy with that

---------- Post added 26-05-21 at 01:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Sure, I'm in. Not sure about the lens, yet. After a month with the GR3 I might go with a longer FL. OTOH, I don't remember using the DA15 anytime recently, so that might be a choice.
Oh, do the 15mm. I love that lens so much
05-26-2021, 03:42 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Iíll shock you all by announcing my participation

And that Iíll be using the DA 21 ltd

xP
05-26-2021, 04:29 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, a combo of work and impending winter has seen me think it was time to try out macro again, this time with the SMC Bellows 100mm
05-26-2021, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May is almost over and there have been very few good macro days so far - either too wet or too windy - so I was thinking about a macro lens. While the HD FA 15-30mm is a very good lens with nice rendering, I definitely enjoyed my compact setups in prior SIC a lot more, which basically rules out both the Laowa 100mm and IRIX 150mm macros and I do know the D FA 100 WR in and out. Like @Cerebum, I thought of going longer after UWA. Recently neglected compact primes include F50/1.7, FA77 and, stretching it, CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5 but it will most likely be the DA*55, despite the bulk of its hood.

05-26-2021, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Have another month with the 85mm we would be quite happy with that
For sure this won't be the last SIC with DFA*85, but I don't believe I go straight on with it. Actually I've been feeling bad about neglecting M club all this year, so maybe it would be time to take one of my M zooms to play with in June. I have M75-150 and M40-80.
05-26-2021, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. Could be the A 24-50, K 55/1.8 or something else. Ismo's got me thinking about the M 75-150 which I've had for ages but never singled.

Last edited by Minimonster; 05-26-2021 at 03:15 PM.
05-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
For sure this won't be the last SIC with DFA*85, but I don't believe I go straight on with it. Actually I've been feeling bad about neglecting M club all this year, so maybe it would be time to take one of my M zooms to play with in June. I have M75-150 and M40-80.
I have been quite impressed with the M 40-80, it took me a week to work out how to use the macro mode, but since then , it has really been an easy to live with lens
05-26-2021, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I have been quite impressed with the M 40-80, it took me a week to work out how to use the macro mode, but since then , it has really been an easy to live with lens
I forgot that macro feature. That settels it. I go with M40-80.
05-26-2021, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

40-80 is a strange focal range, its like all the portrait lenses you will ever need, with the addition of macro for when you want to get up close and personal.

I took my ancient Takumar 135mm f3.5 preset for a walk this afternoon, just to get back into M42 mode, and I was close to switching lenses! What a lovely thing! But I said 100mm macro so 100mm macro it is
05-26-2021, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
But I said 100mm macro so 100mm macro it is
Hmmm. I've never singled my M 100/4 macro.
05-26-2021, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In again! I was thinking the K series 120mm f2.8. Just to keep in practice with manual lenses.