Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2021, 09:13 PM - 2 Likes   #31

Photos: Albums
Super-Takumar 50 f/1.4, 7-element

As long as we are not voting on skills, I am game.

My favorite 50 entry, the ST 50 f/1.4, 7 element - radioactive, untreated. This is one of my most favorite of my 50's simply due to the thorium lens being yellowed by radioactivity and produces a pleasant bokeh.

I chose this lens attached to my K-S2 to capture this rusty old truck as I felt that this particular lens would emphasize the rustiness, the different colored metals as well as a feeling of nostalgia. Shooting during the golden hour enhanced the characteristic of this lens even more.

Only edits in PS were to very slightly sharpen and slightly dehaze the image, no other edits were made to the DNG file prior to resizing to fit contest size requirements and save as a jpg.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
06-21-2021, 05:03 AM - 5 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll go with the Industar 50-2. For a 42 year old piece of glass this lens in surprisingly sharp and more than capable when I get the focus right. Overall, a nice little lens.
06-30-2021, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Pentax 50mm F1.4

I Buy the 50mm 1.4 (K series) to have a high aperture lens, i figured that i really like that obyective also closed, has great colours and high contrast and is small and easy to carry around, closed is also sharp at the center of the photos, the corners remain alwais soft but is not a problem if there is not important details in those zones.

The photo is take with this obyective and the K1 II camera at F4 with a lon exposure (2 minutes) in B mode on a tripod.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Last edited by S.M.; 06-30-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add detail of the photo
07-11-2021, 11:11 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
I'll go with the Industar 50-2. For a 42 year old piece of glass this lens in surprisingly sharp and more than capable when I get the focus right. Overall, a nice little lens.
Stunning photo! Colors are great. Contrasts are strong without going over the top. Concept is original. The lens is shown off fabulously.

My lens is another story. I have great trouble focusing. The depth of field is razor thin. I shoot birds in my backyard which is naturally low in light, contrast, and begs for a tripod when the subject matter flits about too much to allow one. So I have been less than thrilled at the technical excellence of my bird photos.

My other use for the lens is lunar photography. That has proven disastrous. My tripod and head are a bit underclassed, making focus all the harder to achieve. And the lens in general seems to lose resolution as I approach infinity focus. I discovered through this forum that the lens requires a rear filter to function properly. No filters came with my purchase, I bought a Hoya Evo Antistatic 40.5mm Filter for the rear filter element. The use of the Hoya made a tremendous improvement over using no rear filter at all.

So I am wondering, what am I doing wrong? Is there another trick I am missing? Is my Hoya not up to the job? Am I expecting too much from the lens? Is this a classic case of user error?

Any advice or observations will be most appreciated.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/4...#ixzz70Nh7TLXR

07-12-2021, 04:31 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A sample shot of the Canada Day Challenge mentioned in a previous post of the Halifax Harbour Ferry, named after local fallen Afghanistan war Hero Craig Blake, leaving Dartmouth for the scenic run to Halifax,

Usually the ferries are decked out with signal and other flags on Canada Day. But this year Canada Day was a subdued affair because of the Covid 19 Pandemic and the discovery of hundreds indigenous children in unmarked graves outside former "Indian Residential Schools" across the country.

Image taken with DA 50 1.8 on Pentax K1ii in FF Mode

07-30-2021, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is still time and space for some nominations in round 6:

Something special about that lens - round 6: 51-69 mm - PentaxForums.com