Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 07:45 AM - 12 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Stupid" compositions - not quite street, not really abstract, not very minimal

I really don't know how else I would describe it other than "that looks like it would make a good photo" and then something like this comes out of it:

Parking lot wall

Bollards

Do you get what I mean? How would you describe / categorize these?

I get the feeling that this is something like I've seen in other people's film photos.

Have you got photos like these? Then please share them here!

Last edited by ehrwien; 06-22-2021 at 07:57 AM.
06-22-2021, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Oh no, so many of my photos are "stupid". I thought they were cool. (I'll post some later when I'm able to upload.)

I like the parking lot one especially.
06-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both are cool.
06-22-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first one is interesting. The left side is warm and organic, while the right is cold and industrial. There's sort of a cubist face in there with the windows and duct work. I could read some sort of story into that about how modern humans are stuck half in a natural world and half in a machine. Or something.

Maybe I'd categorize it as graphical/geometrical.

06-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first one is kind of interesting. Post it to 500px, the editors there would probably go gaga over it, but maybe not without a model.
06-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
The first one is interesting. The left side is warm and organic, while the right is cold and industrial. There's sort of a cubist face in there with the windows and duct work. I could read some sort of story into that about how modern humans are stuck half in a natural world and half in a machine. Or something.

I agree with this very astute analysis.
06-22-2021, 08:21 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think of this sort of thing as "found composition". One sees it, one is taken by it, and one makes it their own!

Steve

06-22-2021, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first one is interesting.
I like second. See some allegories in it. Two dump posts staying firmly without any purpose like soldiers following order but guarding nothing . And two windows like spy eyes watching closely.
06-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t know how to categorize these images either, but the first one is especially eye catching
06-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I really don't know how else I would describe it other than "that looks like it would make a good photo" and then something like this comes out of it:

The top one is the sort of thing that gets internet "likes".

But the second one is a really brilliant piece of seeing. The sad little eye shapes in the wall looking out at the bollards are just wonderful.
06-22-2021, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I think of it as album cover photography.
06-22-2021, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Oh no, so many of my photos are "stupid". I thought they were cool. (I'll post some later when I'm able to upload.)
I like the parking lot one especially.
Thanks I didn't want to offend people you take or like those types of images I think I got the "stupid" from the "Stupic camera tricks" thread here and chose to use it because of my inability to accurately describe what exactly it was that made me take those kinds of photos. There's just a certain "je ne sais quoi" sometimes, and in rare cases this actually manifests into something worthwhile for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Both are cool.
Thank you.

Thanks. I only saw the face when I looked at the thumbnail prior to uploading the picture

I think you nailed it. Geometrical arrangements with a touch of colour to make it interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The first one is kind of interesting. Post it to 500px, the editors there would probably go gaga over it, but maybe not without a model.
haha, I'm not at 500px

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think of this sort of thing as "found composition". One sees it, one is taken by it, and one makes it their own!
That's a good characterization of what I mean as well. And googly eyes make anything funny

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I don’t know how to categorize these images either, but the first one is especially eye catching
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
But the second one is a really brilliant piece of seeing. The sad little eye shapes in the wall looking out at the bollards are just wonderful.
Thank you, but I don't think I can really take full credit for that, because at the moment of capture I did not actually make the conscious connection

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I think of it as album cover photography.
I see what you mean, yes. But I think album covers photos are much more diverse than just what I mean here. Perhaps only those of a certain genre of music?

Going by @Sir Nameless categorization "graphical/geometrical", I think this one qualifies for this kind as well, as it were shadows of the straight lines of the fence bent a little by the uneven snowy underground in combination with the colour gradient from the lamp above that made me stop there and take some shots:

Colour Gradient

Although this one also has a shadow theme and the "seasonal aspect" that makes this a little unique because it doesn't snow that much around here very often and without snow the shadows never fall that cleanly and contrasty onto the dirty ground.

I don't know if this one really qualifies to be in the same category as the first two because I'm still trying to grasp the common elements of what I'm feeling. I think it should.
06-22-2021, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I see what you mean, yes. But I think album covers photos are much more diverse than just what I mean here. Perhaps only those of a certain genre of music?
Just a certain type of cover, not of all covers. Like "where do I see these types of images outside of a photo forum"? Minimal, often with a bit of whimsy -- in the pre-internet age album covers were one of the only places "the masses" would see that sort of thing. It is a natural fit as they tend to be mood-evoking images. I also think that way when I take them -- "oh, this looks like an old Blue Note jazz cover" while others look more like a 70s rock album. (Maybe I should mention I spent some time in my youth working at a used record store -- I have seen/handled a gazillion album covers.)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 06-22-2021 at 10:42 AM.
06-22-2021, 10:24 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Thank you, but I don't think I can really take full credit for that, because at the moment of capture I did not actually make the conscious connection

The photos where you didn't realise in the moment why you took the photo are usually the best ones.
06-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Parking lot wall

Bollards

Do you get what I mean? How would you describe / categorize these?

I get the feeling that this is something like I've seen in other people's film photos.

Have you got photos like these? Then please share them here!
I love the first one so much

---------- Post added 22-06-21 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
This is equally wonderful.

I was a street shooter until someone called the police (I was taking a selfie and the complainant was a moron) so now I do Urban architecture, so these are right up my alley I am off to find some examples