Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
2) How about the general approach to editing?
Whichever processing you prefer is totally OK. Personally, I'm a RAW shooter like you. The very idea of SooC JPEGs is preposterous to me

QuoteQuote:
3) And all the commenting seems to happen right at Flickr?
Yes. The Daily Threads are for posting images. Comments should be left on the website where the images are hosted - Flickr in most cases.

07-01-2021, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Before I begin my first month, I've got some more questions:

1) In the FAQ there's a point about extra shots
That group seems to have died out in 2015, with little activity before. I've seen some flickr albums have more than 30/31 shots in them, do you just include any extra shots in the album there and post more than one in the thread for the day here?

2) How about the general approach to editing? I know @'pepperberry farm' for example likes to use ooc (?) jpgs? I feel like I get the most out of my shots by processing the RAW files, which also allows me to be a little more lazy when it comes down to getting the exposure right in camera, and I generally underexpose most shots so they don't get ruined by overexposed highlights, so developing the RAWs is kind of a necessity to my approach. But in DxO I make use of whatever "lens corrections" it offers, so that might get in the way of getting to know the characteristics of a lens, which is kind of the point of this whole thing here, right?
So how do you all handle that, everybody like they prefer, do most try to get it right in-camera?

1) Nowadays we post the extras in the same post. Try to name the official shot, so we know what you choose as the one of the day, and preferrably post the others in smaller format. There are different styles by current users. Look around awhile and find your way.

2) There can be only one lens and lens or body should be Pentax. The rest is up to you. Edit as much or little as you like. Point of the challenge is to get to know your gear, improve your skills and have fun.

3) Commenting of the shots in the Flickr. General talk here. Daily thread only for posting shots and the stories attached to image if you have and want to share one.

EDIT: Sandy already had an answer on the next page, but I'll let this go anyway.
07-01-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #33
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Short overnight roadtrip into archipelago on Friday and Saturday. Probably postpone posting shots until Sunday.
07-01-2021, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great start! I got my image but couldn't post on the day, and that's on day one! Auspicious lololol

07-02-2021, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As you can see from the shot, I'm in with another A24/2.8. And it's been well past midnight again, but i hope I can stay on track this time.

The first short made me aware of quite a bit of distortion. It anybody aware of a FF lens profile that I could use with Rawtherapee or do I need to create one?
07-02-2021, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

That group seems to have died out in 2015, with little activity before. I've seen some flickr albums have more than 30/31 shots in them, do you just include any extra shots in the album there and post more than one in the thread for the day here?

2) How about the general approach to editing? I know @'pepperberry farm' for example likes to use ooc (?) jpgs? I feel like I get the most out of my shots by processing the RAW files, which also allows me to be a little more lazy when it comes down to getting the exposure right in camera, and I generally underexpose most shots so they don't get ruined by overexposed highlights, so developing the RAWs is kind of a necessity to my approach. But in DxO I make use of whatever "lens corrections" it offers, so that might get in the way of getting to know the characteristics of a lens, which is kind of the point of this whole thing here, right?
So how do you all handle that, everybody like they prefer, do most try to get it right in-camera?

As others have noted, there’re no rules at all about how/if/how much you process your images.

I’m another RAW shooter. I’ve toyed with going jpg since getting this KP, as it just seems to shoot everything so damn well that often I don’t need to do anything significant to the RAW and I wonder if I’m just wasting my time - but then there’ll come a shot that just needs more coaxing or taming, and I’m glad I shot RAW; I like the flexibility.

As for lens “corrections” … I hate ‘em. It’s like autotune - sucks out the individual character in search of some artificial notion of “perfection”. (At least I can’t see it, whereas autotune hurts my ears.)
07-03-2021, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shots with the 21 at f/16 and even at f/8 once again revealed how dirty my K-S2's sensor is I got an O-ICK1 a couple of weeks ago, should try it out sooner rather than later if I don't want to stamp those spots out of every picture this month

07-03-2021, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #38
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

running late to the group session, as is the norm with me....

funny - I never noticed the 'extra' group before...

QuoteQuote:
however you want to process your shots is up to you - there is no standard bearer, especially me....

QuoteQuote:
yes - the daily thread here is just for the day's shot(s)

I've been working in the SIC since September 2015 - only days I've missed was the month my father passed away, but I've been here every day otherwise....

this is the perfect place to evaluate lenses and learn about your camera - I wholly believe in shooting every day is the way to learn your camera's features/functions and how to simply get better at photography...
07-03-2021, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #39

After a pretty disastrous June, photographically speaking, thanks to too much work and a week offshore, I'm getting back into it for July. Last months lens was a Helios 44K-4 which I found would not change aperture when mounted on the camera, so it stayed at f2. The aperture changes OK off the camera though. Weird. So this month its another Helios, this time the 44M-5.
07-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zubzubadoodle Quote
After a pretty disastrous June, photographically speaking, thanks to too much work and a week offshore, I'm getting back into it for July. Last months lens was a Helios 44K-4 which I found would not change aperture when mounted on the camera, so it stayed at f2. The aperture changes OK off the camera though. Weird. So this month its another Helios, this time the 44M-5.
Isn't that down to the fact that you have no A/M switch? Its a fully automatic lens so is stopped down by the flappy thing on film cameras, I think, this is why I didn't buy one
07-03-2021, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Y'all aren't going to believe this....found this today at a thrift store. Came with lens hood and back lens cap. And, after a fair amount of coaxing, the SDM works ... sluggishly and not yet reliably. Still working to wake it up fully.
Attached Images

Last edited by babywriter; 07-03-2021 at 05:47 PM.
07-03-2021, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #42
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
y'all aren't going to believe this....found this today at a thrift store. Came with lens hood and back lens cap. And, after a fair amount of coaxing, the sdm works ... Sluggishly and not yet reliably. Still working to wake it up fully.
nice!!!
07-03-2021, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Y'all aren't going to believe this....found this today at a thrift store.
Whoah! Thirty bucks? Seriously??

SCORE!!
07-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Y'all aren't going to believe this....found this today at a thrift store. Came with lens hood and back lens cap. And, after a fair amount of coaxing, the SDM works ... sluggishly and not yet reliably. Still working to wake it up fully.

O_O

That’s incredible!
07-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, I love mine so much I even paid to replace the sdm ,such a bargain, well done