Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 139 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2021, 02:24 PM - 5 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New toy arrived today.

It handles M and K lenses really nicely, you can use them in AV as it stops down before taking the shot. No green button required. You can even enter the aperture details in the exif.

And it's the first new camera I have ever had.

07-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #62
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minimonster Quote
new toy arrived today.

it handles m and k lenses really nicely, you can use them in av as it stops down before taking the shot. No green button required. You can even enter the aperture details in the exif.

and it's the first new camera i have ever had.

n i c e!!!
07-06-2021, 03:18 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
New toy arrived today.

It handles M and K lenses really nicely, you can use them in AV as it stops down before taking the shot. No green button required. You can even enter the aperture details in the exif.

Oh my goodness, I am both jealous and hugely happy for you
07-07-2021, 03:03 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

New toy arrived today.

Ooh congratulations, shiny, new and hopefully a very productive photographic tool, no excuses now

07-07-2021, 03:21 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm just checking up on you all; good to see the standard hasn't dropped

New toy arrived today.

Nice - Enjoy the learning curve - mine's still upwards!

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Does anybody have a recommendation for a hood for the A24mm/2.8 for use on a K-1? It looks like contrast could benefit quite a bit. I tried a petal-shaped one, which is mounted on a screw-in adapter. But the adapter vignettes on FF, even though the hood itself is fine and a nice solution for the KP. I can likely find some 58mm collapsible rubber hood to use on a step-up ring, maybe that is wide enough for the K-1, but also somewhat bulky.
After trying several I settled on this one as it was/is made for a 24/2.8
HN-1 Screw-On Lens Hood | Nikon

Also I noticed your query in your post on the 5th "How would you balance sodium vapor lights? The sky looks very unnatural if I fully correct for the sodium lamp."
I use a Kood light pollution filter for astronomy when required. Here is a post about them - there are a lot more available nowadays
Best light pollution filters for night photography in 2021 | Digital Camera World
07-07-2021, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #66
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

New toy arrived today.
Enjoy, it's a real nice camera. New AF module is a blast.

Personally I'm gonna skip K3iii. Too small for my large hands and I want to stick to FF censor. But the advancement brought to it will most likely make me buy the next FF body. Mostly because I want that eyeAF for my DFA*85.
07-07-2021, 04:37 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing I can't wait to see @minimonster is a direct IQ comparison between the KP & K3iii maybe someone has done it in another thread, but I clearly missed it

07-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
After trying several I settled on this one as it was/is made for a 24/2.8
HN-1 Screw-On Lens Hood | Nikon

Also I noticed your query in your post on the 5th "How would you balance sodium vapor lights? The sky looks very unnatural if I fully correct for the sodium lamp."
I use a Kood light pollution filter for astronomy when required. Here is a post about them - there are a lot more available nowadays
Best light pollution filters for night photography in 2021 | Digital Camera World
Thanks, I'll get something in the size of the HN-1 - I found a rangefinder-style one in my bin, which is OK but not as good as a closed one.

Using a filter to block the Sodium D-Line(s) is of course an option - if you have it with you. I have an Astronomic CLS one that goes (yuck!) into the K-1 mirror box for astro shots, but intended to get a threaded one in addition anyway, while they still make sense.
07-07-2021, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There were lots of words in that post, but I didn't understand many of them. Light pollution in the UK is a joke. There are only a couple of places in england where there isn't any
07-07-2021, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
One thing I can't wait to see @minimonster is a direct IQ comparison between the KP & K3iii maybe someone has done it in another thread, but I clearly missed it
I'll let you know. First impression is that it feels better in the hand and that the focus joystick on the K3 iii is going to be really useful. The way it deals with K and M lenses is great. The shutter sounds better too.
07-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light pollution in the UK is a joke. There are only a couple of places in england where there isn't any
Are there? According to The New World Atlas of Artificial Sky Brightness | CIRES, the west coast of the Highlands is really the closest there is. But then you need to be lucky to have a clear view of the sky from the Hebrides.
07-07-2021, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Are there? According to The New World Atlas of Artificial Sky Brightness | CIRES, the west coast of the Highlands is really the closest there is. But then you need to be lucky to have a clear view of the sky from the Hebrides.
The last time I checked there was an area in Kielder forest in Northumberland. On a pedantic note I deliberately said England, the highlands and Hebrides are Scotland, so, based on CIRES, we may have none at all south of the Scottish border, which is quite sad really
07-07-2021, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We've had company for the last few days and for a couple more coming up. I've been able to squeeze in some shots, but not able to keep up with commenting etc. Should be back at it soon.
07-08-2021, 02:37 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There were lots of words in that post, but I didn't understand many of them. Light pollution in the UK is a joke. There are only a couple of places in england where there isn't any
I think we're stuck with it
It is better now they've replaced a lot of the sodium street lighting with the LEDs - especially when they turn some ares off after midnight but this is one of the reasons we holiday in Devon, Northumbria, Cumbria, Derbyshire and Yorkshire

There are spots in the south of England that are pretty decent though. Butser Hill off the A3 just north of us has some dark skies - we are members (on and off) of an astronomy club nearby.
Some good campsites dotted around too.

All in all though - nothing like the skies in Iceland or Jordan but the UK is easier to get to at a weekend!
07-08-2021, 02:53 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
I think we're stuck with it
It is better now they've replaced a lot of the sodium street lighting with the LEDs - especially when they turn some ares off after midnight but this is one of the reasons we holiday in Devon, Northumbria, Cumbria, Derbyshire and Yorkshire

There are spots in the south of England that are pretty decent though. Butser Hill off the A3 just north of us has some dark skies - we are members (on and off) of an astronomy club nearby.
Some good campsites dotted around too.

All in all though - nothing like the skies in Iceland or Jordan but the UK is easier to get to at a weekend!

Sadly so.

I suppose I shouldn’t complain too loudly, given what I’ve shot from my backyard … but there’s still too much.