Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
You could be right…
Time to look at jpeg recipes methinks

Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com

07-23-2021, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I'm really behind on posting photos and commenting... but at least I got a shot in each day. And with that kestrel shot I got this week, the shots with the 21 Limited just have to wait their turn
07-26-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
August thread is up:

Single in August 2021 - PentaxForums.com
07-26-2021, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #124
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
awesome - thank you...

07-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So soon? The months keep flying by. Thank you!
07-26-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just managed to catch up on my own pictures... tomorrow is reserved for commenting on yours.
07-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you!

07-28-2021, 02:51 AM   #128
Pentaxian

Thank you so much 8)
07-31-2021, 01:07 AM - 4 Likes   #129
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm done. No missed days so I made it by the book, thought yesterday was close. I only took up the camera due to commitment, but few weak efforts kept me going and I actually found myself enjoying the shooting. Which has been lacking this month. Lens itself works fine. There is little distortions and weak corners, but it's totally usable. It just doesn't suit my vision and I mainly used it as point and shoot. I really had to push myself to find other views than landscape at f8 and infinity.

Still, I probably keep the lens. It might give me the shot on a single click where I otherwise would have to stitch panorama. Still this month has lowered my interest in coming DFA21ltd. I'm not worth it.

Few from the month:

07-31-2021, 04:52 AM - 5 Likes   #130
Pentaxian

Single in July 2021

Another month done and dusted. Do you really want to read any more of my DA21 worship? xP Just know that you should have this lens. That is all.

It was an odd month in the real world; not a bad month for me photographically - but also a bit odd. I experimented with processing a bit, particularly with curves. I shot a little (very little) in jpg.

Faves:

I can't say exactly why, beyond I like the feel:

Feels, bro by -Occasionally Focused-

Sullivan featured a fair bit:

Stretchy Sully by -Occasionally Focused-

This tickled my foolish funny bone - and maybe others’, as it netted my first Explore in a long time:

Yazz by -Occasionally Focused-

This was my third attempt; first wasn't sharp; second the light was wrong and I was getting my own shadow; third time was the charm:

Slurm by -Occasionally Focused-

Trolleys and weird attempts at film/vintage processing go together like rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong:

Alley trolley by -Occasionally Focused-

I have fallen and I can’t get up by -Occasionally Focused-

Bought mrs tsuken some heavy things - and this really showed off the detail this lens and camera can capture:

Lockdown heavy things by -Occasionally Focused-

And this turned out to be one of my favourite pics of Sullivan:

Sullivan by -Occasionally Focused-

All in all, a good month. On to August!
07-31-2021, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #131
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my end-of-month review - Vivitar (Komine) 24mm f2

I bought this lens thinking that it would be a nice addition to my 24mm lenses - I've been through some mediocre 24's and was looking to try this vaunted lens by Komine....

the lens is well-built and has a nice, solid quality to it - clearly, Komine understood how to make a quality lens; this feels as good as any third-party lens...

the optics are great - clear, accurate color rendering, sharp, even reasonable bokeh for a wide-angle lens...

so why do I simply not like it?

this month's shots don't help - they've been great, especially when I actually worked with the lens:

the only thing I've found to truly complain about is the f2 on the aperture ring - it is truly, nearly useless - f2 on this lens means that anything that can glow, will glow...

beyond that, I cannot not recommend this lens - it is a great little lens.... but I'll be selling my copy...

the rest of the month's shots:

Single In Challenge - July 2021 | Flickr
07-31-2021, 05:52 AM - 3 Likes   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This month's daily grind has given me too many distractions from photography, but I've enjoyed looking at the images you have all submitted.

Today, I'm going to visit another nearby city to see an Ansel Adams exhibit, and possibly a transportation museum just a few blocks down as well. With any luck, I'll get to try some street photos as well. I think a change of scene would do me some good, I have not really felt like using my camera lately.
07-31-2021, 09:55 AM - 6 Likes   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All done with the HD 55-300mm WR. I know this is a good lens but this month has been a blast. I used it on the KP and K3 and spotted no obvious fall off in IQ. The lens was excellent. It was very much a stop gap as I was awaiting the arrival of Sandy's 20-40mm and so wanted a lens that covered a different range. It also turned out to be two years since I last Sic'd this lens so it was pretty fitting. I think we all know this lens is nmoisy and slow when winding from zoomed in to zoomed out but it was OK, a bit of pre-focusing sorts that. The colour saturation is nice and the sharpness is excellent for what is a budget super zoom.

07-31-2021, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first SIC, and even though posting and commenting took some days, I managed to fire the shutter at least once each and every day of the month. Hooray!
And even though there were quite a few days where I didn't invest more than a few minutes, in the end it was still worth it because otherwise I would have probably missed to motivate myself at all on most days.

I only got the SMC DA 21 a few weeks before this month. It's so unobtrusive, pairs nicely with the K-S2, and the copy was already used well by its previous owner, so I had no problem throwing the battered lens cap in a bag with other stuff without worrying about it (will be different next month lol).
It's such a useful focal length, you can shoot anything with it if you can get close enough (that excludes mostly birds and other wildlife). And you CAN get close with it. And it's sharp. At least after converting the RAW with DxO with the proper lens correction module (ooc jpgs couldn't compete), and I think stopping down to f/4 helps a tremendous deal with better sharpness towards edges and corners (I felt it lacking a bit wide open), though that doesn't matter that much if the subject is placed in the center. I'm still overly obsessed with sharpness, aren't I?
I found that I disabled vignetting correction more often than I didn't, to help guide the view a little more (and naturally so).
The field of view is close to the standard smartphone camera field of view. But I took pictures with it that I wouldn't have taken the smartphone out to snap, and I'm not sure how pictures of the two would compare. Doesn't even matter. It made me pursue my hobby and enjoy the process. It paired nicely with the 55-300 PLM for a compact two lens kit. There were a few times where I wished it was longer and fewer times where I wished it was wider. I think it's in an area where I prefer the flexibility of a zoom, even at the cost of more weight and size. Wide open on this lens compared to standard zoom lenses doesn't even make a difference big enough to mention it.
I'm not sure how exactly it compares to the zooms I have regarding rendering/colours, strong light sources in the frame,... I think it's got more contrast/sharpness than the 18-135 at 21 (just a feeling). The sun stars are a bonus for some pictures, big and small alike they add a little something, but that can be overdone quickly.
I think if I stay with SIC, I'll give it another go in 2 years or so. Until then I'll probably put it in the bag with some other primes every now and then and see how often I will be going for it.

Rain Check

Away from the Sun

Bridge Silhouette

Colour vision

Spotmatic SP II + S-M-C Tak 55/1.8

Webs

Cloud Silhouette, Nik Silver Efex
07-31-2021, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #135
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
There were a few times where I wished it was longer and fewer times where I wished it was wider. I think it's in an area where I prefer the flexibility of a zoom, even at the cost of more weight and size.
I like the challenge that shooting with single prime offers. You can't always go for the first and obvious composition that come in mind. You need to look around and figure out how to best shoot it with the lens you have. I found it improves me as a photographer and I end up with more interesting shot in the end.

Congrats on finishing first SIC