Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something special about that lens - round 6: 51-69 mm

Time to launch the sixth edition of: Something Special About That Lens 51-69 mm

The goal of this contest is to show off some special feature of a lens, whether it is a fish eye, bokeh monster, super starbursts, perfect for reversing, super sharp, dreamy colors, super fast wide open aperture / narrow depth of field, creative use of vignetting etc. Pull out that hidden gem you haven't used in a while and find how it can enable your creativity. While members are free to like any image they like, ideally voting should be towards images that show off the special feature of the lens. Entrants are encouraged to include a short description with the image to tell what special feature they are trying to highlight.

The formal stuff:
  • 1 entry per person per month. Any brand of lens, but the photo should be taken with a Pentax or Ricoh DSLR/SLR camera.
  • PLEASE INCLUDE a short blurb explaining the special characteristics of the lens you are trying to show off
  • To enter, reply to this message and put your image in this thread.
  • The top entries (this will be adjusted based on how much interest there is each round), based on total likes, will then be voted on in a poll for the monthly prize (one 128 GB SD card, or three (3) 32 GB SD cards).
  • The 2nd - 4th place finishers in the poll voting each month will be entered into the December contest for additional prizes.
  • In the event of a tie, I will cast a tie-breaker vote, based on how I rank the images before voting on the short list begins.
This month: 51-69mm (absolute lens focal length, don't include any crop factors - no math required!). Zoom lenses set to within this range are allowed. Will the DA*55 dominate, or might there be some hidden gems to emerge?

Entries will close at the end of the month, but voting will continue until August 15 and then the shortlist voting poll will run for 14 days after that.

If you have any questions and they are specific to this month please put them here, otherwise please use this thread (Something special about that lens - NEW CONTEST series - PentaxForums.com) to learn more about the origins of this contest.

FINALLY: Whether you enter or not, please go view the photos from Issue 5 (Something special about that lens - round 5 - NIFTY 50 - PentaxForums.com) and LIKE the ones that you think best show off a special characteristic of a lens. To that extent, credit should be given for those who included a short blurb about their images as befitting the purpose of this contest.

07-01-2021, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

quite possibly, my favorite lens - the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 SL II

amazing color and clarity, sharpness, and dreamy bokeh....

plus the build-quality: engraved markings, tight tolerances, metal build, smoooooooooth focus ring... all in a k-mount lens...

while no longer in production, you can still find one on the used market...

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 07-02-2021 at 05:52 AM.
07-23-2021, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well this round doesn't seem to be calling out to most of you
07-30-2021, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll nominate the Helios 44-2.
Whether one likes it or not, there is definitely something special about that swirly bokeh.

07-30-2021, 02:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Well this round doesn't seem to be calling out to most of you
I think it might improve participation when a link to the next round (and the voting thread) of the contest is posted in the previous rounds, after the nomination phase has ended.
I for one missed out on round 4 because I forgot to search for the new thread that month.
07-30-2021, 05:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of us also are lacking in this range. I only own 2 lenses that fit this one and they are basically the same and nothing special. The S-M-C and SMC 55/1.8 Takumar which are fine lenses but nothing really special about them.
07-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think it might improve participation when a link to the next round (and the voting thread) of the contest is posted in the previous rounds, after the nomination phase has ended.I for one missed out on round 4 because I forgot to search for the new thread that month.
Agreed and I'm usually a lot more proactive about promoting previous winners and new rounds. I've largely been off the forums at a time that wasn't great for the contest.

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Some of us also are lacking in this range. I only own 2 lenses that fit this one and they are basically the same and nothing special. The S-M-C and SMC 55/1.8 Takumar which are fine lenses but nothing really special about them.
I hear you, although most might argue the DA*55 is by default a special lens. I'll see if there are any more entries coming and then figure out the next steps forward as well as kickstarting things overall.
I also expected a lot of Helios entries, a lens that is craved for its bokeh and comes in so many flavors and variations that each have their own special characteristics.

07-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I hear you, although most might argue the DA*55 is by default a special lens.
Well I don't own one of those, although next month I have an idea for a lens that does have some special attributes and is likely not one that others will show off.
07-30-2021, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
quite possibly, my favorite lens - the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 SL II

amazing color and clarity, sharpness, and dreamy bokeh....

plus the build-quality: engraved markings, tight tolerances, metal build, smoooooooooth focus ring... all in a k-mount lens...

while no longer in production, you can still find one on the used market...
And here I was hoping you'd discovered a budget fav. Then I found a couple of copies on offer.
07-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
22 lenses to choose from in this range, including a couple of Takumars that are pretty special....

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
And here I was hoping you'd discovered a budget fav. Then I found a couple of copies on offer.
all kinds of options at this range, but the Nokton is really special...
07-30-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

all kinds of options at this range, but the Nokton is really special...
I trust you 100%. I'm currently investing in studio upgrades so that one is beyond my budget at the moment. I'd love to see more images from it though. No doubt you have a link to some.
07-30-2021, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the swirly bokeh of the CZJ Biotar 58mm ƒ2. I think it deserves at least an honorable mention. On the K-1 II.
07-30-2021, 04:46 PM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I trust you 100%. I'm currently investing in studio upgrades so that one is beyond my budget at the moment. I'd love to see more images from it though. No doubt you have a link to some.

just a few shots....

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 SL II | Flickr
07-30-2021, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive!
07-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter