Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2021, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

Who wants to post a photo of the rising moon for the next 2 or 3 nights?

Who wants to post a photo of the rising moon for the next 2 or 3 nights, starting tonight. Just one photo or as many nights as you'd like...

Of course, I'm in the U.S. east - moon rise for me tonight starts at 9:39pm ...

Perhaps try to submit a photo to this thread of the moon rising up to 2 hours from the point it first pops up - ?

I'm going to try to do so - hopefully I won't forget - big smiles!

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 08-24-2021 at 06:21 PM.
08-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My view of the horizon is obscured for the first few hours so I’m going to just watch this thread.
08-24-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Same here, I have to go other places to see a moon rise, and I’ll save those times for a full moon, which we just had, but I was on the road and the weather was not right anyway. With a full moon rise you usually get a bit of daylight which can makes it much more interesting. I try to catch every full moon, but more often than not it’s too cloudy.
08-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My view of the horizon is obscured for the first few hours so I’m going to just watch this thread.
My view is obscured for the first 30 to 45 minutes. So I'll likely see it pop up around 10:15 to 10:30 or so....

---------- Post added 08-24-21 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Same here, I have to go other places to see a moon rise, and I’ll save those times for a full moon, which we just had, but I was on the road and the weather was not right anyway. With a full moon rise you usually get a bit of daylight which can makes it much more interesting. I try to catch every full moon, but more often than not it’s too cloudy.
Interesting...

I've noticed when the moon begins to rise, then the Earth's atmosphere gives it some color - a reddish tint..

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 08-24-2021 at 06:22 PM.
08-24-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
Well, here are my attempts from tonight. Some cropping only - no other post processing. Tripod. Pentax k-s2 and Pentax 55-300mm. Click on image(s) to access the EXIF or to zoom in closer by clicking on image further.

And one of the first when it first popped out - you can see the electric poles. Nothing to brag on ofcourse.

Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow night - next time playing around with aperture size.

Any recommendation(s) adjustments would users here suggest I try for another chance at it tomorrow night (to get more sharpness all across the image) - ? Perhaps aperture size adjustments? I once used a "generic" website to "calculate" what should be a good sharpness range for this lens - which calculations suggested try f11 to f16. I dunno...

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 08-24-2021 at 07:52 PM.
08-24-2021, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Taken 40 minutes ago this evening from my balcony. Managed to get the rising moon peeking from behind the trees. (Moonrise for me was 9:19, but it took an hour to clear the terrain and trees.)

K-3 + SMC Pentax 300

Last edited by Davep; 08-24-2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: moonrise time added
08-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

5 image HDR merge. The merge images were taken 10 minutes following the tree branches shot above.

08-25-2021, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
My view is obscured for the first 30 to 45 minutes. So I'll likely see it pop up around 10:15 to 10:30 or so....[COLOR=Silver]

I've noticed when the moon begins to rise, then the Earth's atmosphere gives it some color - a reddish tint..
That’s why moonrises and moon sets make better photos in my opinion. I’ve read that the moonrises at harvest time are most colorful is because of all of the crop dust in the atmosphere, it makes sense, and of course, the closer to the horizon the more atmosphere you are looking through.

QuoteOriginally posted by Davep Quote
Taken 40 minutes ago this evening from my balcony. Managed to get the rising moon peeking from behind the trees. (Moonrise for me was 9:19, but it took an hour to clear the terrain and trees.)

]
In my opinion you need things like the terrain, trees, and buildings to anchor your shot. A photo of the moon is just clinical, so many people run out and shoot the moon to test their new telephoto lens, I’ve done it, and if you do it right it looks like all the others.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 08-25-2021 at 12:32 PM.
08-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Davep Quote

K-3 + SMC Pentax 300

Very nice 2 photos you posted!

This one with the trees in it is simply superb!

p.s. What lens did you use?
08-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Very nice 2 photos you posted!

This one with the trees in it is simply superb!

p.s. What lens did you use?

SMC Pentax 300mm F4 (manual focus K-mount lens)
SMC Pentax 300mm F4 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database