Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 306 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2021, 01:57 AM - 4 Likes   #151
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been lazy with commenting, but did some catching up. ...And I'm shocked how many can still forget theme on 21st

10-23-2021, 10:28 AM - 3 Likes   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Today it's been the second time this month when I was interrupted by some random pedestrians when I was taking a photo. The first time I was taking a picture of the colourful leaves over a kindergarten*fence and I was asked by some lady why I had been taking pictures of the place, as it was her kids' place. I was clearly pointing the camera upward and the whole place (playground behind the fence) was empty. I understand the concerns (to some extent...) but I wasn't even given a chance to explain - she had repeated her concerns a few times without letting me answer and then walked away...
Similarly today - I was pointing the camera slightly above the ground and didn't even notice that someone showed up in the vicinity. Again, I've heard some indirect accusations (about taking a picture of that person without her approval) without letting me answer.
Ok, I know that I simply should ignore it as I don't do anything wrong but still, it is demotivating at times... At least the police haven't visited me so far (as it happened to one member here a few months ago)...
10-23-2021, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #153
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Today it's been the second time this month when I was interrupted by some random pedestrians when I was taking a photo. The first time I was taking a picture of the colourful leaves over a kindergarten*fence and I was asked by some lady why I had been taking pictures of the place, as it was her kids' place. I was clearly pointing the camera upward and the whole place (playground behind the fence) was empty. I understand the concerns (to some extent...) but I wasn't even given a chance to explain - she had repeated her concerns a few times without letting me answer and then walked away...
Similarly today - I was pointing the camera slightly above the ground and didn't even notice that someone showed up in the vicinity. Again, I've heard some indirect accusations (about taking a picture of that person without her approval) without letting me answer.
Ok, I know that I simply should ignore it as I don't do anything wrong but still, it is demotivating at times... At least the police haven't visited me so far (as it happened to one member here a few months ago)...
I guess this is somekind of social media related thing. People has been tought to ask permission from people to publish the shot and have been adviced to not share shots of their kids in social media. Somehow this has lead people to think that it's illegal to shoot people in public places. I have found this notion more and more common these days.
10-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel for you, in society today, there is no easy solution, just keep shooting and enjoy, it's easier said than done though

10-23-2021, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My very first Single In challenge I drove around the small city that I lived in at the time and took pictures on the numbered streets (16th Street on the 16th day of the month, etc.) it was a really cool series in the end, but I did literally have someone call in my license plate number. Thankfully I work in the legal field and the person who received the report recognized my name and knew I worked for a local attorney who assured them I was an innocent photographer. After that I actually made it in the newspaper for my daily photo habit. So, it all worked out in that small town, but I don't think I'll be recreating the project in the Kansas City metropolis. :-D
10-24-2021, 12:49 AM - 3 Likes   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have missed you guys and having a reason to shoot. Sic is definitely good for my mental health. Other than a character portrait session I have hardly taken a pic! So, November, it's either the 35mm f2 or the 70mm limited for the good of my sanity. I would go with the 20-40mm limited (god I love that lens @sandyhancock) but the 35 hasn't been sic d and they were both stellar on the portrait shoot. Decisions decisions
10-24-2021, 02:42 AM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have missed you guys and having a reason to shoot. Sic is definitely good for my mental health. Other than a character portrait session I have hardly taken a pic! So, November, it's either the 35mm f2 or the 70mm limited for the good of my sanity. I would go with the 20-40mm limited (god I love that lens @sandyhancock) but the 35 hasn't been sic d and they were both stellar on the portrait shoot. Decisions decisions
I vote for the DA 70 LTD

10-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #158
Veteran Member

YES. I vote for the 35/2.
10-24-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 35 is quite good as is the 70. I’d give the 35 a go since you’ve never used it in the challenge.
10-24-2021, 07:28 AM - 4 Likes   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aaaargh I am conflicted now lololol the 35mm is my happy place and I am shooting my sons band in Nov. They are playing in a pub where the audience has more lights than the stage. Last time I shot there it was a hot, grainy mess (yeah, I know, luminance and iso noise, not grain ) anyhoo, hopefully the 35mm f2 will give me more of a chance than the 70mm f2.4, so, with apologies to Rob I will commit to the 35mm & put the 70mm back to December, if I don't fall for the siren song of the 20-40mm that is.

On another note, I just found out my local nature reserve charity calendar features five of my images, one of which is the cover. I also have three of the six new Christmas cards! And they were all taken whilst I was doing a sic. Physical evidence that a) the single in challenge is great for your photography and 2) Pentax rocks!
10-24-2021, 08:25 AM - 5 Likes   #161
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I went quickly thru all my SIC shots today to check if I really haven't posted that fence before. From time to time it's fun to look at old work. Thought I feel like I've learned a lot during my years in here, I have to say I really like some of my work even from the first month. Few examples from 3 first months in 2017. Back then I still had K30 and K5 as my cameras. Good cameras they were, thought nowadays I use neither anymore.

10-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #162
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Aaaargh I am conflicted now lololol the 35mm is my happy place and I am shooting my sons band in Nov. They are playing in a pub where the audience has more lights than the stage. Last time I shot there it was a hot, grainy mess (yeah, I know, luminance and iso noise, not grain ) anyhoo, hopefully the 35mm f2 will give me more of a chance than the 70mm f2.4, so, with apologies to Rob I will commit to the 35mm & put the 70mm back to December, if I don't fall for the siren song of the 20-40mm that is.

On another note, I just found out my local nature reserve charity calendar features five of my images, one of which is the cover. I also have three of the six new Christmas cards! And they were all taken whilst I was doing a sic. Physical evidence that a) the single in challenge is great for your photography and 2) Pentax rocks!

which 35/2?
10-24-2021, 06:02 PM - 3 Likes   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always exciting to have a photo selected for print!

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 09:13 PM ----------

I was out on a dead end road (public road), and a patrol car rolled up behind me wanting to know what I was doing. I was shooting a sunset through a stand of dried teasel, and explained to him what I was doing. I'm sure he had reports of some suspicious activity by someone. I've considered wearing and orange safety vest when walking around downtown, and on side roads taking pictures. I might look more official with that on.
10-24-2021, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a great weekend, left at 0230 on Saturday, arrived back home before 2200 on Sunday. Visited family members in 4 different locations from mountains to oceans to a city, shot many great images with both the DA 40 XS for SiC as well as another lens, and my iPhone. Even played with inteval composite mode with some interesting results. Will post sometime tomorrow, right now it’s bedtime.
10-24-2021, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it’s settled. I’m going to single in the 11-18 f2.8… I saw an offer on one I couldn’t pass up. I’m still unclear if the lens is right for me as I mostly shoot things that don’t move much. The larger size and wider aperture will be interesting to look at in comparison to the 12-24 f4 I already own.