Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 290 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2021, 11:22 AM - 5 Likes   #46

Photos: Albums
Definitely in with the Helios Cyclop 85\1.5 taken from an H3T-1 night vision scope. I have singled it before but found that it wouldn't focus to infinity. Looking at it today, there is a flange at the back of the lens that holds the tripod mount in place. It was hitting the camera before the lens was fully screwed in. So after drilling out the screws that held it in place, and using a little scientifically applied brute force, it now screws all the way in. And, of course, MoNovember.

10-31-2021, 12:07 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I thought you had the 20-40 permanently attached to your KP
Very very nearly. I had to remove it to calibrate the 35mm f2

There were tears!
10-31-2021, 11:30 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Forum Member

Hi Everyone! I just checked in to see what was on the cards for November... and I discover many are going Mono! Yay to that.

So I will join in the fun. I'm going to put a few extra constraints on myself though in an attempt to rein in the time commitment, also because it is another great chance to push myself in the direction I want to go.

I'll shoot the A 50/2.8 Macro.
I'll take exactly three photo's with it each day.
All 3 will be monochrome.
All three will be 1:1 (square) aspect ratio.
I'll do minimal processing.
I'll post the choice image.
I'll post a little film strip that shows all three images small, perhaps tacked onto the bottom of the choice image.

I'll post my photo's every second day, probably being near to last poster in the thread for my yesterday and near to first in the thread for my today.

I'll be shooting with the Fuji X-pro3. (No alternative there until I can work out how to SIC with film.)

Does that all sound OK? Am I stepping over any guidelines?
11-01-2021, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #49
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey Floyd Quote
(No alternative there until I can work out how to SIC with film.)
I think people have done so, that they shoot a roll per week, or some other spesific time, and then post the shots.

11-01-2021, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Hi Everyone! I just checked in to see what was on the cards for November... and I discover many are going Mono! Yay to that.

So I will join in the fun. I'm going to put a few extra constraints on myself though in an attempt to rein in the time commitment, also because it is another great chance to push myself in the direction I want to go.

I'll post a little film strip that shows all three images small, perhaps tacked onto the bottom of the choice image.

I'll post my photo's every second day, probably being near to last poster in the thread for my yesterday and near to first in the thread for my today.

I'll be shooting with the Fuji X-pro3. (No alternative there until I can work out how to SIC with film.)

This sounds fantastic to me! I typically just shoot to my heart's content, process the following morning and post one of those crop. Your idea for 3 shots a day is a fun one, almost filmic in its approach!
11-02-2021, 12:40 AM - 2 Likes   #51

I'll be in with my K-1 ii and Tamron SP-AF Di 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro Lens. Excited to see what it can do, this being my first real macro lens.
11-02-2021, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
This sounds fantastic to me! I typically just shoot to my heart's content, process the following morning and post one of those crop. Your idea for 3 shots a day is a fun one, almost filmic in its approach!
Haha, yeah - I have a habit of clicking away more than perhaps necessary. I'm actively working on trying to cull the junk before pushing the shutter, as an ongoing effort. The three shots a day thing is just another part of that process for me.
I read an interview, can't remember where, of a magazine photographer who used to take the portrait shots for interview articles. He'd load a film of 12, and that would get used for 4 assignments! 3 shots each job, at least one of which would definitely be published. Inspiring stuff.

11-02-2021, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a habit of clicking away more than perhaps necessary. I'm actively working on trying to cull the junk before pushing the shutter, as an ongoing effort. The three shots a day thing is just another part of that process for me.
Like marksmanship, a well planned shot is better than spraying and praying, or in this case, clicking, then picking to get the result you seek.
3 shots each job, at least one of which would definitely be published
Back in the day, the Playboy magazine interview (yes, I only read it for the articles, of course! ) had three photos of the subject at the bottom of the first page. I always wondered if those images were captured during the interview, because the subjects seem to be very relaxed, not posing for the camera but caught while concentrating on expressing themselves. I always liked that idea, and as I move into more portrait type work, I hope to do more of those sorts of relaxed pictures.
11-02-2021, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #54

Hi .

a few extra constraints.

Try not to be too easy on yourself. I always find that a bit of a challenge makes it a bit more interesting.
11-03-2021, 02:36 AM - 3 Likes   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it looks like I am losing my mind, I upgraded lightroom recently and yesterday with my fence photo, I thought that I had lost all the Pentax profiles in Lightroom, I searched the forums and discovered that I had imported a JPG rather than RAW shot, so that the profiles are not used. Being a little lazy I hadn't mounted this month's lens on to the K3III and had left it on the original K3. After 2 months using the newer camera I had gotten in to the habit of the card closest to the back of the camera being slot 1 unlike the older camera where slot 1 is towards the front of the camera. I have the cameras set up to write RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2. It turns out I need to upgrade me rather than lightroom. Oops
11-03-2021, 03:53 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems like my M42 Super-Tak 105mm won't focus on long distance objects. Interesting.
11-03-2021, 05:10 PM - 3 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Sounds a really great idea!

And hey all… I am still here, still breathing, still shooting.

Just not keeping up the posting. I dived full-on into a new book: Chasing Bushidō, by Richard Amos, and have just been too absorbed by that.

tl;dr the following: some karate training in Japan is foolishly brutal, and I think people probably develop character despite it rather than because of it - as much as I do respect them all for pushing through it.

It’s interesting: I do have respect for what Amos and others like him went through, and for their sticking with it, but I think honestly that he developed himself as a bushi not because of, but rather in spite of the treatment during his training in Japan, and the antics of his seniors (and OMG the politics!).

Interestingly, I learned that that large organisation (JKA, or the Kyoukai) hailed really from the more “lower-class” Universities, which tended to be rather more brutal in their attitudes and methods - like Takushoku, famous for killing its students…, whereas our style/school was founded by karateka who studied at Waseda University, a more upper-class University at which Funakoshi sensei himself taught.

While my teacher’s Japan experience was certainly hard (and he did even use the word brutal) it was not filled with the sort of behaviour that seems to be/have been rife in the JKA.

Again, I’m super fortunate that my mother stumbled me (without knowledge) in to Chidokan.

Anyway, forgive the divergence from photography. I get rather consumed at times…
11-03-2021, 11:30 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
It seems like my M42 Super-Tak 105mm won't focus on long distance objects. Interesting.
Could be just the infinity stop out of adjustment. Generally a simple fix, although also possibly not depending on how gummed up and stuck the dress ring is.

---------- Post added 11-03-21 at 11:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zubzubadoodle Quote
Try not to be too easy on yourself. I always find that a bit of a challenge makes it a bit more interesting.
No !?#$%^& (haha)

All the guidelines are there to make it easier. Well certainly less time consuming, and thus far super enjoyable. I'm walking around with the camera in the bag - looking, imagining, framing in my mind - sometimes just walking away without even touching the camera. Easy: no culling required later. Then when I sit down at the computer to sort out the images, there's just three. Well actually six because I'm doing two days at a time, but either way the computer time is drastically reduced and that is a Very Good Thing, to my mind. Much easier. And more importantly I'm using my imagination more, and that is definitely a Very Good Thing too.

Let's see how I feel at the beginning of week 4.

Last edited by Mikey Floyd; 11-04-2021 at 03:59 AM.
11-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
tl;dr the following: some karate training in Japan is foolishly brutal, and I think people probably develop character despite it rather than because of it - as much as I do respect them all for pushing through it.

It’s interesting: I do have respect for what Amos and others like him went through, and for their sticking with it, but I think honestly that he developed himself as a bushi not because of, but rather in spite of the treatment during his training in Japan, and the antics of his seniors (and OMG the politics!).

Interestingly, I learned that that large organisation (JKA, or the Kyoukai) hailed really from the more “lower-class” Universities, which tended to be rather more brutal in their attitudes and methods - like Takushoku, famous for killing its students…, whereas our style/school was founded by karateka who studied at Waseda University, a more upper-class University at which Funakoshi sensei himself taught.

While my teacher’s Japan experience was certainly hard (and he did even use the word brutal) it was not filled with the sort of behaviour that seems to be/have been rife in the JKA.

Again, I’m super fortunate that my mother stumbled me (without knowledge) in to Chidokan.
Sounds similar to how Iyengar yoga has been reinterpreted in a modern context. The brutal methods used are backfiring and people are disengaging from calling their teaching by this name.

From the start of my exposure to martial arts and yoga I have pushed back on anything that is cruel or dehumanizing. I fully embrace a tough challenging standard for excellence but humiliation and disrespectful behaviors that in some cases rise to abuse are not something I will tolerate.
11-04-2021, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking the day off. I feel terrible. I suspect I over extended my immune system, booster shot a few days ago, poor sleep last night, very sudden change in temps outside with rain - and the garden needed to be harvested before potential frost. Nothing major, just tired and feeling like a slug. No 3-5 mile walk today. Less than one mile. Pitiful.