Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 290 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2021, 10:13 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sounds similar to how Iyengar yoga has been reinterpreted in a modern context. The brutal methods used are backfiring and people are disengaging from calling their teaching by this name.

From the start of my exposure to martial arts and yoga I have pushed back on anything that is cruel or dehumanizing. I fully embrace a tough challenging standard for excellence but humiliation and disrespectful behaviors that in some cases rise to abuse are not something I will tolerate.

100%

Humiliating is def not the same thing as creating a challenge.

Abuse is not high expectations.

11-05-2021, 04:59 AM - 3 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
100%

Humiliating is def not the same thing as creating a challenge.

Abuse is not high expectations.
My sifu when I first trained was a kind and patient man. But he had high standards. Testing varied by student, one girl had test anxiety so he would never tell her when he was testing her, he would simply make it a practice to put her through the paces during a regular class session and observe her. When she passed he handed her the rank, when she didn’t he didn’t tell her that she had been tested, just what to work on. It was quite kind and ingenious of him.
11-05-2021, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking the day off. I feel terrible. I suspect I over extended my immune system, booster shot a few days ago, poor sleep last night, very sudden change in temps outside with rain - and the garden needed to be harvested before potential frost. Nothing major, just tired and feeling like a slug. No 3-5 mile walk today. Less than one mile. Pitiful.
So I ended up spiking a fever and feeling awful for a about 12 hours. My guess is that my immune system was angry... lol. I had let myself get pretty cold (and wet) and rundown during the day. This morning I felt a lot better. Still feeling a bit rundown but nothing like yesterday. I may be a no show again today however as I'm worn down still and I'm warm and cozy... and inside.
11-05-2021, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Single in November 2021

So I ended up spiking a fever and feeling awful for a about 12 hours. My guess is that my immune system was angry... lol. I had let myself get pretty cold (and wet) and rundown during the day. This morning I felt a lot better. Still feeling a bit rundown but nothing like yesterday. I may be a no show again today however as I'm worn down still and I'm warm and cozy... and inside.

Sounds most unpleasant. Take care.

(Edited for stupid autocorrect which rendered the unpleasant pleasant …)

Photograph your feet or the wardrobe xP (been there, done both)

---------- Post added 6th Nov 2021 at 02:34 PM ----------

My sifu when I first trained was a kind and patient man. But he had high standards. Testing varied by student, one girl had test anxiety so he would never tell her when he was testing her, he would simply make it a practice to put her through the paces during a regular class session and observe her. When she passed he handed her the rank, when she didn’t he didn’t tell her that she had been tested, just what to work on. It was quite kind and ingenious of him.

That sort of insight and responsiveness is really important - and too often lacking.

Interestingly, though it wasn’t at all for that reason - more just because of my situation being over in Australia with just intermittent visits to the dojo in NZ - a couple of years ago or whenever it was that my sensei graded me last, he made no mention of it beforehand. It was a hell of a training session, I remember that, and I noticed absently that at one point during kata practice he turned half the class to face the other - and he was in the half facing me. I did recognise that we were drilling the entire recent syllabus. - but I did not expect the end result of the morning. O_O

Last edited by Tsuken; 11-06-2021 at 01:34 PM.
11-06-2021, 04:24 AM   #65
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When we will see the new DFA21ltd for the first time in challenge? Is someone going with it already in December?
11-06-2021, 04:24 PM - 4 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been missing in action. Have shots for every day but this week has been especially chaotic both on the home front and work front. On the home we had a painter in to do the interior, every room. All going fine until the kitchen, then some tiled splashbacks suggested, a tiler arrives and the boss starts thinking she wants a tiled kitchen floor instead of the wood one. Kitchen shifted into living room, bedrooms dispersed everywhere...
On the work front, I work in IT, where I work as a Eng / Architect with freedom to disrupt if I think necessary. Long story short is that a recommendation I've been busy beating the drum, hammering doors etc for the last 2 years came to decision time.. Corporate types being what they are need a fallback to rely on their decisions so off to the Gartner’s and Accenture's of this world. so now I have a foundation layer I need to push out the nexgen services and compute I want to push out.
Anyways I'll endeavour to upload and catch up tomorrow.
11-06-2021, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A visual feast today, multiple bodies and lenses. The 105mm is hindering my landscape days, but I did get a few detail images, at least one of which is suitable to post for SIC. Once this month is done, however, I doubt I will be keeping this lens. Still, 23 more days to be proven wrong.

11-06-2021, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #68
Forum Member

I opened the A50/2.8 up today to add an extra click to the aperture ring between f/2.8 and f/4, I didn't dip too deeply into the innards but from all appearances I've scored a virtually pristine copy both in and out, which I'm very happy about as I'm liking this lens a great deal indeed. Intriguing mechanism in there, looks like a floating element? How very modern. Way more complicated than the M50/4.

Does anyone know why there is often (usually) no click between wide open and a whole stop closed down, and then half stops onwards from there?

Last edited by Mikey Floyd; 11-07-2021 at 12:01 AM.
11-07-2021, 06:58 AM - 4 Likes   #69
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

My first week was so good that I feel pressure creaping into my mind. I just can't improve or even keep up in this level thru the whole month. I should post some shamefull safeties to lover the expectations I put on myself
11-07-2021, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just when I wanted to throw the Super-Tak 105mm in the lake after some frustrating attempts to take some longer landscape shots, after reviewing, I realized that it can really perform on the K-1.
11-07-2021, 09:05 AM - 3 Likes   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really enjoying the moNovember theme! I've never shot with film really, but starting to do a little research into some B&W film for my "new to me" K1000 I picked up from a person at work.
11-07-2021, 09:43 AM - 3 Likes   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I'm really enjoying the moNovember theme!
I didn't think I'd be a fan, but so far, so good!

I have some posting and commenting to catch up on...
11-07-2021, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I didn't think I'd be a fan, but so far, so good!

I have some posting and commenting to catch up on...
I was a bit cautious in advance, but MoNovember has been a blast
11-07-2021, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Pentaxian

Oh, I too am loving the MoNovember.
11-07-2021, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I'm really enjoying the moNovember theme! I've never shot with film really, but starting to do a little research into some B&W film for my "new to me" K1000 I picked up from a person at work.
I’ve recently been enamoured by Kodak Double-X 5222 if you can find it.*
It was the filmstock used to shoot ‘The Lighthouse’ with Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson.

*im yet to have any but I’ll be buying some soon as a birthday present to self.