Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 290 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2021, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My participation has been lacking this month, sorry for that. However, my old friend the Takumar 50 1.4 is reliable as ever.
In the right conditions it is very sharp wide open and often the images have a medium format look. Around here it is also instant nostalgia making things look very showa-era, which I love.

11-18-2021, 09:12 PM - 3 Likes   #122
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Just realised that it's past mid month and Pepperberry hasn't asked how it's going. I kind of miss that tradition, so I guess I need to fill in. So how is November going with you and your lenses?
As only my second SIC, I have just September with the K30/2.8 with which to compare how I feel.

The blindingly obvious first point is that I am way more comfortable and in my zone shooting 50mm(75) over 30mm(45). I committed to doing no cropping this month however there has not yet been a moment when I would have, conversely with the 30 I cropped so many, maybe even most, of the month's images.

My three shots a day thing is proving to be quite delightful. Maybe this is a bit self indulgent, however I really feel that the restriction is slowing me down and forcing me to learn to appraise a shot before releasing the shutter. I'm enjoying the process more while shooting and don't really feel that I'm missing too many opportunities by not allowing the 4th 5th etc shots. The shots I feel happiest with, and most certain of when shot, are the ones where the camera was on a tripod, even though it didn't actually need to be. Slow photography, lots of thinking and reframing, only to return to where I was before. And of course the computer time is greatly reduced.

The lens itself - I've certainly done my share of agonising over fine details of lens rendering, I've obsessed over sharpness, I've had a few bouts of GAS..... More and more I'm coming around to thinking that I actually just aren't that fussed when it comes to lenses. As long as they are 'good enough', the right focal length, don't behave too weirdly, and don't weigh too much, I'm pretty happy. And the A50/2.8 is definitely all those things. I feel like it's a great 'do everything' lens - compromising the max aperture at f/2.8 in exchange for the fabulous MFD is, for me, a trade off that's well worth making.

Funny to think of a 75-equiv as a 'do everything' lens, that kind of runs against the accepted norm. (Insert multiple 'shrugs shoulders' emoji's here...)

The fact that there is a lot of monochrome in the image threads this month has been a thorough joy for me. I'm really enjoying seeing everyone else's images and think there have been more than a few truly excellent shots. And such tasteful mono processing too, so much admirable restraint is being shown.

I'm excited to carry on with the remaining days of this month, at the same stage in September with the 30mm I was starting to feel a little burdened with the task. I've even decided which lens to use next! Either in December or January.
11-19-2021, 12:53 AM - 2 Likes   #123
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey Floyd Quote
Funny to think of a 75-equiv as a 'do everything' lens, that kind of runs against the accepted norm. (Insert multiple 'shrugs shoulders' emoji's here...)

I'm excited to carry on with the remaining days of this month, at the same stage in September with the 30mm I was starting to feel a little burdened with the task. I've even decided which lens to use next! Either in December or January.
That is how it begins. I had similar feelings in autumn 2017 when I was hooked

I understand and share your feeling with 50mm. I too like more the bit longer focal lengths. I've been very comfortable with 85 this year. Also there was a time when 50 on apsc was the only prime I had and I shot everything on holiday trip with it.
11-19-2021, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #124
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm the FA* 200mm has exceeded my expectations, I have the FA* 80-200 and found I was mostly using it at the 200mm end so when this became available I thought why not. The colours and contrast are pleasing to my eye but my efforts have been somewhat safe rather than inspired, partly due to weather and work lately. I have been trying with the mono however some shots have just had to be in colour. I admire the 3 photo mini them Mikey has been pursuing and have enjoyed the quality and subjects of his themes. Playing with the new 21mm has been taking up some time and I am looking forward to using it in SIC in December. I also obtained the classic SMC K 20mm f4 this week and along with the FA 20mm and crop 21mm Limited, I will be doing my own "mini" test comparisons with the new lens, fun times ahead

11-19-2021, 07:39 AM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really feel that the restriction is slowing me down and forcing me to learn to appraise a shot before releasing the shutter.
... Slow photography, lots of thinking and reframing, only to return to where I was before. And of course the computer time is greatly reduced.
That's the essence of getting a "keeper". In a way, photography and marksmanship have a lot in common.

I really like the 3 and 1 idea you've been using. I hope time will allow to create a GIMP template and try a few ideas myself.
11-19-2021, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #126
Pentaxian

I really like 50mm on APS-C. There’s something really nice about it.

Then again, I love 35mm, and am adoring 21mm.

But I totally agree with your 50mm love.

As for your three photo idea, I think it’s brilliant in purpose, execution, and also presentation.

Me this month… yeah the HD DA 21 … ummm, it’s still awesome. I was thinking: it’s going to feel really weird having anything else on the cameras, to be frank. It’ll have to be either of the plastic fantastics (35 or 50) otherwise I’ll hate it. xP

Monovember has been interesting and rather enjoyable. I’ve felt rather lacking by comparison to many of the well-crafted images I’ve seen from others, but I’m quite happy.

I’ve also been exploring different aperture settings, having gone months wide-open at Sandy’s behest, I’ve started being somewhat more discriminating about it. He’s right that the wide-open rendering is lovely, but there are times I am now letting other considerations (sharpness, DoF…) factor in more.
11-19-2021, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
I really like 50mm on APS-C. There’s something really nice about it.

Then again, I love 35mm, and am adoring 21mm.

But I totally agree with your 50mm love.

As for your three photo idea, I think it’s brilliant in purpose, execution, and also presentation.

Me this month… yeah the HD DA 21 … ummm, it’s still awesome. I was thinking: it’s going to feel really weird having anything else on the cameras, to be frank. It’ll have to be either of the plastic fantastics (35 or 50) otherwise I’ll hate it. xP

Monovember has been interesting and rather enjoyable. I’ve felt rather lacking by comparison to many of the well-crafted images I’ve seen from others, but I’m quite happy.

I’ve also been exploring different aperture settings, having gone months wide-open at Sandy’s behest, I’ve started being somewhat more discriminating about it. He’s right that the wide-open rendering is lovely, but there are times I am now letting other considerations (sharpness, DoF…) factor in more.
Stick the 40mm limited on your Christmas list. I love mine, its in the middle of your plastic fantastics, is a stonking walk around lens and is the cheapest of all the limiteds I must say your year with the 21 has been quite wonderful.

---------- Post added 19-11-21 at 03:39 PM ----------

Well, the FA 35mm f2 is a great lens and I am enjoying it more every day, but it still hasn't blown me away like the 20-40mm did. I think Ismo nailed it when he said it lacks pixie dust. Its a great little lens. I bought it because it is quite fast. It won't be my go to lens but I will be keeping it

11-19-2021, 04:52 PM - 2 Likes   #128
Forum Member

That is how it begins. I had similar feelings in autumn 2017 when I was hooked
Uh oh... Do I need to consider enrolling in a ten step program yet?

---------- Post added 11-19-21 at 04:57 PM ----------

Thank you. Tsuken.

I'm of the opinion that you should find an elusive 22mm lens for next year, move on to a 23 the year after....

Last edited by Mikey Floyd; 11-19-2021 at 05:01 PM.
11-19-2021, 06:02 PM - 3 Likes   #129
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Uh oh... Do I need to consider enrolling in a ten step program yet?

yeah, right....

'my name is Dave and I've been a glass-addict since September 2015 and have yet to miss a Single In Challenge due to my enduring lens-buying-addiction...'

2022 is the year of the Takumar for me... 12 months of Taks, ready to go...
11-19-2021, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #130
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
yeah, right....

'my name is Dave and I've been a glass-addict since September 2015 and have yet to miss a Single In Challenge due to my enduring lens-buying-addiction...'

2022 is the year of the Takumar for me... 12 months of Taks, ready to go...
Well, at least I'll be in good company at the meetings.

But seriously, you guys are a bad influence - I'm trying hard to go the other way with gear.
11-19-2021, 08:42 PM - 3 Likes   #131
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

But seriously, you guys are a bad influence - I'm trying hard to go the other way with gear.
I thought I had a reasonable handle on my LBA...

until I bought into a mirrorless system....
11-19-2021, 11:05 PM - 6 Likes   #132
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

The gear is irrelevant. You might buy some or sell some.

SIC is about the spiritual journey to understanding your lenses, cameras, lights and technique. Finding your own voice. To learn to find shots in most mundine objects and the worst weather available. And also about having photography as a daily hobby in good company.
11-19-2021, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #133
Pentaxian

Waving over here in the one-lens-for-a-whole-year corner

(Which admittedly, is occupied only by me) xP

My LBA is mostly under control - simply by effort of will, I admit. I’ve got great lenses (well, lenses I think are great, which is all that matters) that cover a good range of focal lengths, so I figure I’m done. Takes an effort will - for example when Peter shows off the glory of the 40 mm limited - but taking that example I just say I have a 35 mm and a 50 mm (and if I really need something in the middle, a 16-45), so I’m good thanks.

All my lenses have been thoroughly “Singled” but I just keep going anyway, for the reasons Ismo talked about.
11-19-2021, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #134
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

My LBA is mostly under control
Me too. I have understood that I have a good set of vintage gear and don't need anymore average lenses. In last two years I have bought only two lenses and bought well thought. F50/1.7 to have cheap, sharp, small, light and good AF lens for my wife to use. DFA*85/1.4 as a lifetime companion for me.
No pressure to get this and that to test them out. I know what I want and need. So will slowly acquire all DFA * and ltd lenses because I'm worth it
11-20-2021, 01:10 AM - 2 Likes   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The gear is irrelevant. You might buy some or sell some.

SIC is about the spiritual journey to understanding your lenses, cameras, lights and technique. Finding your own voice. To learn to find shots in most mundine objects and the worst weather available. And also about having photography as a daily hobby in good company.
Absolutely spot on. Sic. has raised my game beyond words. There is also a really good, supportive community aspect. A few of us have repeated a lens now, Tsuken with the 21mm, ismo with the 85, I LOVED my three months with the magical 20-40. After this month though I may just cycle through the limiteds because they are the most beautiful lenses I have

---------- Post added 20-11-21 at 01:12 AM ----------

Waving over here in the one-lens-for-a-whole-year corner

(Which admittedly, is occupied only by me) xP

My LBA is mostly under control - simply by effort of will, I admit. I’ve got great lenses (well, lenses I think are great, which is all that matters) that cover a good range of focal lengths, so I figure I’m done. Takes an effort will - for example when Peter shows off the glory of the 40 mm limited - but taking that example I just say I have a 35 mm and a 50 mm (and if I really need something in the middle, a 16-45), so I’m good thanks.

All my lenses have been thoroughly “Singled” but I just keep going anyway, for the reasons Ismo talked about.
Pentax smc 40mm f2.8 limited | Flickr

It was love at first sight. I lent it to a friend. Within a week she had a copy, despite having the 35mm limited and several 50s