Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 290 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2021, 03:17 AM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote

As for your three photo idea, I think it’s brilliant in purpose, execution, and also presentation.
Seconded, 100%.

11-20-2021, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

Waving over here in the one-lens-for-a-whole-year corner

(Which admittedly, is occupied only by me) xP
The temptation is, truthfully, there for me to do much of the same. It's just simpler once you get used to a focal length, and the feel of the lens and camera combo.
Issue is, I don't know which lens I'd go for.
The other issue is that I typically offload lenses I don't use 'often enough'.
11-20-2021, 05:40 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey Floyd Quote
But seriously, you guys are a bad influence - I'm trying hard to go the other way with gear.
we're more than friends, we're co-dependent enablers!

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
It's just simpler once you get used to a focal length, and the feel of the lens and camera combo.
Several photographers I admire have stated something similar, and from my own experience when I was a young adult without a lot of disposable income, I owned only a K1000 and a 50mm lens for the better part of two decades. After a time, my pictures became pretty good because I was able to know in my mind how that combo would take in the scene, and compose accordingly, with minimal changes to shutter and aperture, I really knew that gear. Of course, with film, I couldn't afford to burn through rolls by "Spraying and Praying " and hoping for a keeper that really captured and conveyed the scene as I perceived it at that time. That made me slower, and better, too.

Now, I own two digital bodies and many lenses, but only a few that I really know well enough to feel that same level of comfort and familiarity. The value of SIC is is does give me the opportunity and impetus to use one lens for 30 days and really become familiar with it before I decide to save or sell.

Again, Mikey's 3 and 1 photo presentation has really inspired me quite a bit, and I really need to learn how to do that in post because this presentation creates a cohesive and more powerful whole and when done well really conveys the subject in the way the photographer perceived it at that place and time.
11-20-2021, 07:49 AM - 6 Likes   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I've been AWOL, but I really enjoyed catching up with the posts here! You guys are sweeties and I love it here. <3

I do have shots for every day, but I need to get them into Lightroom and do some processing, posting, and commenting. I'm a little intimidated! I'll work backwards from most recent and see where I run out of steam. :-)

MoNovember is still enchanting, but I gotta face facts and say this lens is a dud. LOL I'll save my full review for the end of the month. Regardless of the shade I'll throw, I'm still gonna keep the lens. In the past I've only ever regretted selling gear, so I long ago resolved to just never sell anything again. I've got a big house, I can afford to keep it all. :-)

11-20-2021, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #140
Pentaxian

Well, I've been skipping a day here and there and the lack of time combined with the weather result in mostly indoor shots taken within the macro range of the M 40-80. Thus, I don't actually use its supposed versatility. I like how it renders and I like the bokeh but I'm not sure if that's a keeper. Not a bad lens at all but I think I miss my DA21 and a few others. OTOH, within a week I should get my GR3 back from repair (the back wheel was acting up) and there's a big chance that I'll buy the KP within the next few weeks

Last edited by Chris_K; 11-20-2021 at 12:59 PM.
11-21-2021, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Sorry I've been AWOL, but I really enjoyed catching up with the posts here! You guys are sweeties and I love it here. <3

I do have shots for every day, but I need to get them into Lightroom and do some processing, posting, and commenting. I'm a little intimidated! I'll work backwards from most recent and see where I run out of steam. :-)

MoNovember is still enchanting, but I gotta face facts and say this lens is a dud. LOL I'll save my full review for the end of the month. Regardless of the shade I'll throw, I'm still gonna keep the lens. In the past I've only ever regretted selling gear, so I long ago resolved to just never sell anything again. I've got a big house, I can afford to keep it all. :-)

I was thinking just a little earlier this evening: where’s Sara??!

<waves>

Looking forward to your backwards catch-up 8)
11-22-2021, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #142
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
The gear is irrelevant. You might buy some or sell some.

SIC is about the spiritual journey to understanding your lenses, cameras, lights and technique. Finding your own voice. To learn to find shots in most mundine objects and the worst weather available. And also about having photography as a daily hobby in good company.
Of course. Well phrased and summed up.

---------- Post added 11-22-21 at 12:55 AM ----------

Waving over here in the one-lens-for-a-whole-year corner

(Which admittedly, is occupied only by me) xP
Yep. It's a very impressive corner to occupy. Especially with a 21.

When I shoot my 21 it feels really wide, and the images I make with it look like it too. When I look at yours though, I'm not struck in the same way (a good thing). You've obviously just got 21mm well under control, and I daresay are not afraid of moving in close.

---------- Post added 11-22-21 at 12:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Seconded, 100%.
You as well are too kind. Thank you.

---------- Post added 11-22-21 at 01:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote

Again, Mikey's 3 and 1 photo presentation has really inspired me quite a bit, and I really need to learn how to do that in post because this presentation creates a cohesive and more powerful whole and when done well really conveys the subject in the way the photographer perceived it at that place and time.
Thank you as well Rob.

I'm surprised that so many are enjoying the little film strip 3 + 1 thing. I mean, I guess there's no reason not to, I just wasn't expecting it to be one way or the other - more just a way to keep me honest than anything else. And because I love contact sheets, but don't really think that's a mass appeal thing.

Anyhow, I'm glad it's well received. I have no proprietary feelings towards it, so if anyone want's to adapt or borrow the concept in any way that would be grand as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Mikey Floyd; 11-22-2021 at 04:17 AM.
11-22-2021, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised that so many are enjoying the little film strip 3 + 1 thing. I mean, I guess there's no reason not to, I just wasn't expecting it to be one way or the other - more just a way to keep me honest than anything else. And because I love contact sheets, but don't really think that's a mass appeal thing.

Anyhow, I'm glad it's well received. I have no proprietary feelings towards it, so if anyone want's to adapt or borrow the concept in any way that would be grand as far as I'm concerned.
Now that our plans have changed, I'll have more time this week to work up a a 3 and 1 template in GIMP (I really don't spend enough time on any PP software, so I am always at Square One for the simplest things.

I think this idea works really well with Black and White, and that is another incentive to learn to do it before the end of MoNovember
11-23-2021, 02:53 AM - 2 Likes   #144
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Now that our plans have changed, I'll have more time this week to work up a a 3 and 1 template in GIMP (I really don't spend enough time on any PP software, so I am always at Square One for the simplest things.

I think this idea works really well with Black and White, and that is another incentive to learn to do it before the end of MoNovember
I'm the same, things are learnt on an 'as required' basis. This little template was certainly like this and I'm sure there are easier ways, I'll move on to something else when the month is done though so can't really justify the time involved in refining the process too much.

Here's my little template: Dropbox - Frame and border.xcf - Simplify your life I think that's set to downloadable but I've been caught out before so let me know if not.

I reckon some instructions will help...

- Save the primary image at 4160 x 4160. Save the thumbnails at 1248 x 1248.
- Open the primary image in Gimp, then resize the canvas to something larger than necessary.
- Open the Thumbnails and the template as layers, arrange the layers such that the image layers are on top of the template layers.

- Select the layer called 'Visible', this layer is simply an alignment tool and ironically isn't actually visible at all. (Welcome to my world)
- Using the align tool, select each image in turn and align as required with reference to the 'Visible' layer.
- Select the primary image layer. (This ensures that the correct exif is passed through, took me a while to work that out.)
- Go Image>Crop to content.
- Export.

It's actually very quick once you've done a few. I'm sure also after a run through or three it'll be pretty clear how to adapt the idea in whichever way you please.

Then after all that, you can let me know the much easier way that you've discovered!
11-23-2021, 03:03 AM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Thanks to you, I'm much obliged. I will try it out this week.
11-24-2021, 03:17 AM   #146
Forum Member

Following on from Ismo's comment on my shot for the 22nd.... Links to the thumbs at a larger size, also a link to some history for the site.

https://flic.kr/p/2mLG6Ef
https://flic.kr/p/2mLKyV4
https://coalmines.org.au/
11-24-2021, 03:17 AM - 3 Likes   #147
Forum Member

Following on from Ismo's comment on my shot for the 22nd.... Links to the thumbs at a larger size, also a link to some history for the site.

https://flic.kr/p/2mLG6Ef

2021-11-22-001 | Michael Floyd | Flickr This one shot at f/16 so not terribly sharp, but sharp enough all over. Sometimes I quite like the slight softness too.

Last edited by Mikey Floyd; 11-24-2021 at 03:23 AM.
11-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

2021-11-22-002 | Michael Floyd | Flickr

2021-11-22-001 | Michael Floyd | Flickr This one shot at f/16 so not terribly sharp, but sharp enough all over. Sometimes I quite like the slight softness too.

Thanks for the larger sizes to peek around in!
11-24-2021, 05:32 PM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What A busy week, I was tied to my desk all day without even a commute to offer a chance at an image.
Thankfully, I am on the eve of a 4 day weekend, and I intend to be out and about, and have time for creativity as well.
11-25-2021, 03:23 PM - 5 Likes   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
December thread is up:

Single in December 2021 - PentaxForums.com