Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in December 2021

Welcome everyone to the Single In December 2021 challenge!

Theme days:

Tuesday, 7th December: LETTERS

Tuesday, 14th December: MONOCHROME

Tuesday, 21st December: B/SELFIES

Tuesday, 28th December: REFLECTION

Aim of the Game: To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images

Last edited by babywriter; 11-25-2021 at 05:33 PM.
11-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. Don't know what with though.
11-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am in with the KP and either the DA 21mm or DA 40 LTD or XS.
11-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in for December with the DFA 100mm, for now .

11-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

in - no idea what lens, however.....
11-25-2021, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All - just realized I omitted the "selfies" day on the 21st. That has been corrected. Theme day reminders are in too.
11-25-2021, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m going to sit this one out. I’ve done a great job failing the last few attempts. Life is too complex and busy and I have too many cameras and lenses to stick to a daily single lens. At some point I plan to come back.

11-25-2021, 10:50 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I’d like to join! I’ll have to read up on the faq though re: theme days :-)

I’ll take my main pair: k5 + 35 Ltd
11-26-2021, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote

Welcome! I look forward to seeing your pictures!
11-26-2021, 04:52 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In in in 70mm limited. I possibly won't hit every day because its dark both sides of work. Also, Bailey is getting old so his walks (a rich photo source) are quite limited. SIC is really good for me. While it isn't easy, I find not doing a sic leaves me a bit, empty. It breaks up the cycle of work and chores

---------- Post added 26-11-21 at 04:55 AM ----------

Welcome just remember that every day doesn't have to be epic and we all photograph random nonsense at some point in the sic. most important, enjoy it, only chat in the chat thread (this one) and if you have a question just ask, because these guys know EVERYTHING
11-26-2021, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll play..it's been a while... a prime this time...
11-26-2021, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me in. K-3 Mk III. Dunno about lens, but I think 15mm Ltd.
11-26-2021, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I am in with the KP and either the DA 21mm or DA 40 LTD or XS.
If I can sway you, take the 21! If only because I’m trying to make my mind Up about that lens :-D
11-26-2021, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I can sway you, take the 21! If only because I’m trying to make my mind Up about that lens
Easy enough, the DA 21mm it is!

You will want one, just for the stopped-down starbursts.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 11:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I think 15mm Ltd
I'd like to see that lens get some dedicated time. I almost bought one two years ago.
11-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Easy enough, the DA 21mm it is!

You will want one, just for the stopped-down starbursts.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 11:59 ----------

I'd like to see that lens get some dedicated time. I almost bought one two years ago.
Holy crap, look at all that twinkling!

that's super cool...