Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
In regards to the furry lifestyle, is it considered cosplay? I ask because from my understanding, it's more of an outward representation of a person's inner being. My first encounter with furries was at a cosplay gathering (actually, it was at the cosplay gathering the first 3 photos were from), and I had no idea of what a furry was and I thought they were cosplaying some Digimon or something.
In short, it's what you make of it. I would consider fursuits to be a form of mascotting or cosplay, though I know it's not typical of what many think. I guess general cosplay is dressing up as an already established character? Furry isn't anchored to any specific character or brand, so most suits are custom made. I personally don't have one, because good ones can cost a couple thousand dollars or more in the U.S. There are some that will combine their characters with established characters, so you'll sometimes see a hybrid of their character dressed up as something else from pop culture.

12-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
In short, it's what you make of it. I would consider fursuits to be a form of mascotting or cosplay, though I know it's not typical of what many think. I guess general cosplay is dressing up as an already established character? Furry isn't anchored to any specific character or brand, so most suits are custom made. I personally don't have one, because good ones can cost a couple thousand dollars or more in the U.S. There are some that will combine their characters with established characters, so you'll sometimes see a hybrid of their character dressed up as something else from pop culture.
Thanks for the further insight. Yeah, I can see how suits can be expensive. I don't think I've ever come across one that looks inexpensive. In regards to mashups, I'm surprised that I haven't come across any.
12-25-2021, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the further insight. Yeah, I can see how suits can be expensive. I don't think I've ever come across one that looks inexpensive. In regards to mashups, I'm surprised that I haven't come across any.
Not a photo I took, but here's a mashup with Inuyasha as an example.

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/26077159/
12-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Not a photo I took, but here's a mashup with Inuyasha as an example.

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/26077159/
Hmm, pretty interesting. Thanks for showing an example!

12-26-2021, 02:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Great photos all around, especially since you got them out in the open air. I assume the overcast helped a little?
For the most part there was only very little clouds and it was bright sunshine. I do like it that way, because I think the sunlight supports the very colorful costumes.

I am not a fan of indoors situations for this type of photos, due to both the better light and nicer more spaced out background.

One manga fair is taking place in a building right near to a big and nice park, so that is where everybody goes for a walk and picnic.

The other event is mainly a challenge due to being absolutely crowded (pre-pandemic) outdoors, so that is why I ask the models to pose against the river background and that is why you see the railing in the backgrounds.

This is how the situation looks like in reality: https://static.duesseldorf-tonight.de/thumbs/partybilder/9/66/76/11/i_detail...17-1176669.jpg

... for photos like this:

12-26-2021, 02:25 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That was a shock, it's really packed out there. I had half a mind there would be far fewer participants. I need to get out more I think.
12-26-2021, 03:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I happened to be in NYC during Comicon, and the sidewalk along the Javits Center offered many good costumes. This is the only one I uploaded for sharing, but I have several more which came out very well.

Last edited by robgski; 12-26-2021 at 02:03 PM.
12-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
For the most part there was only very little clouds and it was bright sunshine. I do like it that way, because I think the sunlight supports the very colorful costumes.

This is how the situation looks like in reality: https://static.duesseldorf-tonight.de/thumbs/partybilder/9/66/76/11/i_detail...17-1176669.jpg
WOW. I would never have guessed that it would be THAT crowded just from your photo. Yeah, sometimes the hardest part of taking a pic at these events is finding a good spot and keeping it.

As for direct sunlight, I tend to avoid it for anything above 3/4 shots due to the shadows. But looking at your photos, you seem to manage them well.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I happened to be in NYC during Comicon, and the sidewalk along the Javits Center offered many good costumes.
That's what's so great about these major conventions; you won't have a shortage of subjects to shoot. Plus, a lot of people will congregate in public/open spaces, so you don't have to get a badge to photograph these cosplayers.

This thread needs more photos, so here's some more. All taken with the K-1 + FA* 85/1.4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-26-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I happened to be in NYC during Comicon, and the sidewalk along the Javits Center offered many good costumes. This is the only one I uploaded for sharing, but I have several more which came out very well.
Your photo didn't show up the first time I saw your post. That's one cool looking cosplay. I'd love to see what else you managed to get.
01-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Felt like posting some more since people are still viewing this thread. Hopefully others have some to share.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-04-2022, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's what's so great about these major conventions; you won't have a shortage of subjects to shoot. Plus, a lot of people will congregate in public/open spaces, so you don't have to get a badge to photograph these cosplayers.
Your photo didn't show up the first time I saw your post. That's one cool looking cosplay. I'd love to see what else you managed to get.
Here are a few more.
01-04-2022, 11:26 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are a few more.
Thanks for sharing these! I really enjoy seeing some of these cosplays.
02-05-2022, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just wanted to share this because I was pretty happy with the results. My friend set up some colored lights and grabbed some random cosplayer to pose with those lights. Yellow lighting came from a handheld color LED light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just wanted to share some night shots that I got recently. These shots got fairly good reception. Shot with the K-1 + FA* 85/1.4 with some presets added in Capture One.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-07-2022, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anybody here going to the New York Comic Con this weekend? I'd love to see captures from there. In this post, I'm sharing photos from WonderCon, the little brother of the San Diego Comic Con that's held in Anaheim across from Disneyland.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo