Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2022, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
if you have to use 200 use it I can interperit the differences it's only one stop. would love to see the smoky one turbo bird without the smoke, still an interesting effect and sharp sun.

01-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I decided to have a shot at this, heading to a nearby bridge by the local canal to grab the sun as it was setting....only I got there too soon (by some 20 mins) to capture at the requested 1" height. However, the battery running out before the sun reached that height really put the nail in the coffin for my Nikon D2H test- I ran back and grabbed my Sigma DP1, which is definitely not a good camera or sensor combo to capture the setting sun with!

Attached are a shot from the Nikon D2H (4mp Jfet LBCAST sensor) and the Sigma DP1 (Foveon X3 14mp). Nikon at base ISO 200, Sigma at ISO100 (50 is base on that camera). Both at f.11. Nikon was with a AF Nikkor 28-80 f.3.3-5.6 G lens.

The Nikon I believe has done a good job for the size and age of the sensor, and with the right filter could be excellent. The Sigma....well, I'd expect it would take some serious skill to capture the sun head on with this sensor and lens!!

Last edited by CedrusMacro; 11-24-2022 at 04:15 PM.
01-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks. I'm not sure I'd want to point a 500mm lens directly at the sun like that if wasn't blocked by the smoke, because I'd be worrying about letting the smoke out of the camera. And as far as detail, that shot could probably have been taken with a pinhole lens on 110 film. With the mountains around where I live, I don't typically get to see the sun just above the distant horizon like I would be able to if I lived on the coast.
Kristian
01-16-2022, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
So I decided to have a shot at this, heading to a nearby bridge by the local canal to grab the sun as it was setting....only I got there too soon (by some 20 mins) to capture at the requested 1" height. However, the battery running out before the sun reached that height really put the nail in the coffin for my Nikon D2H test- I ran back and grabbed my Sigma DP1, which is definitely not a good camera or sensor combo to capture the setting sun with!

Attached are a shot from the Nikon D2H (4mp Jfet LBCAST sensor) and the Sigma DP1 (Foveon X3 14mp). Nikon at base ISO 200, Sigma at ISO100 (50 is base on that camera). Both at f.11. Nikon was with a AF Nikkor 28-80 f.3.3-5.6 G lens.

The Nikon I believe has done a good job for the size and age of the sensor, and with the right filter could be excellent. The Sigma....well, I'd expect it would take some serious skill to capture the sun head on with this sensor and lens!!
Bottom photo is pretty good,So the sigma has a nice sensor the low battery may have effected the top photo the Nikon took. I love seeing a clear round sun in a shot the glow blobs I try to avoid. I got an adjustable ND filter which helps but can become too dark at times. I also forgot to specify the light meter setting use a spot meter and use the blue sky for a meter point if your camera is set so you can reposition shot keeping shutter button halfway down you will retain your meter reading, this will lighten up the photo's a fair bit. Bit like the last photo.

Last edited by Kombivan; 01-16-2022 at 08:23 PM.
02-17-2022, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok guys I now have 11 digital cameras 6 Pentax and 6 canon (one broken canon 500D I bought for the accessories and lowepro case for $21.00). The canon have been recent additions to my collection. I recommend a mix of cameras as it has improved my knowledge of how my pentax work believe it or not. The canon I find good for the swamp out back saving my pentax cameras from exposure to the saltwater dirt and effluent that was dumped. So when my next new camera arrives I will go down and take the sunset photo's at F11 ISO 100 av setting. if you only have a 200 shutter speed I suggest you stop down to f13 that's one stop to give the same exposure equation. I'll be using ISO 400. i have Canon EOS 650D. K5, K5ii, canon 450D. The canon and Pentax cameras are so different the canon are simple and the Pentax are complexed in so many ways I always knew this but never realised the opposition were so basic. However the canon software I do like better than the Pentax its like comparing Firefox to Edge.I have used raw files for the first time as the Pentax software I had never worked properly for me. That was why I always used photo's in windows. I have also escaped the flash for indoor photo's now as the difference between the two brands has told me it's ok to do night photography without the flash and ise the iso 12800 there abouts as it's quiet sharp still there is also no issues with reflections from shiny objects and red eye. I was stuck in the 70's with flash photography. Last night I also realised the shadows on facial features are no longer required in fact they haven't been required for 80-90 years as the colour in a photo shows all the detail a shadow would with out ruining the photo with a shadow across half the face like the old black and white photo's. Just imagine in the old days if you set your flash up at 2.00 o'clock instead of 1 o'clock you'd run the risk of getting shot for creating the impression of a large nose on a persons face. PS it is great having a 18-400mm lense to go walk about now it is such a better range zoom lens, it Tamron won't make one for Pentaxians then mabye pentax should make one for Pentax cameras then you would have a camera that would leave the rest behind or even try for a 16-400mm now that would be a lens Pentax could sell so many of so easily. Think I am going to have to stop using the spot meter all the time as well as for hiking the average metering means less resetting of the camera every time you face a different direction. I'll just use the + - instead. Wish the pentax had the A-DEP mode as well as the AV TV etc.

Last edited by Kombivan; 02-17-2022 at 09:50 PM.
02-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll bet photographers are partly responsible for so many people wanting nose jobs because they see the photo's of themselves with what look to be big beeks when their not. I just been looking at Our engagenment photo and we both like like a couple of ducks but our noses aren't as big as our photo makes them out to be. It's s really well crafted photo but the photographer should have used a brighter table lamp to lighten the shadows more he could have also had the spotlight or flash at 7'o'clock rather than at 8 o'clock as in our case. (same as 1 or 2 o'clock depending which position your looking from.