Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was just looking at 2005 holiday photo's and it hit me-

All camera's are not alike mostly due to the sensors used in the camera. I don't have many types of digital cameras, I have a ist D, K5, K5ii. These are the only digital cameras I have. I have discovered for my type of photography I love, the ist D is the better camera I discovered this when browsing my 2005 holiday shots the other night all shots were perfect even the sunrise and sunset photo's where the sun is clearly shown the reason for this is the istd has a D100 Nikon sensor yes the istd is a Nikon. My k5's are not so good when it comes to sunsets and sunrises except when the sun is down. So I am asking all of you to drag out your cameras digital only for some research shots. I unfortunately don't have credit to participate with photos but I do have some in a thread taken with the k5 and k5ii.

The idea is one shot per camera of sunsets or sunrise only no filters just av settings only and post your shot in this thread with the type of camera range of lens and aperture and shutter speed iso should be 100 to 800. this way we can all see which camera takes the clearest shot of the sun during sunset. most digital cameras are designed for snap shots around cities etc but only the best sensor will take a clear shot of the sun at sunset. I'm also not looking for dark yellowish shots from too small an aperture.

This isn't a competition for the best shot ok I set a benchmark f11 aperture AV mode iso 100. this way all shots will be equal. if you have to change the benchmark please use f16 aperture and specify aperture. The sun is to be 1" off the horizon. now lets see who has the best camera. If the f11 doesn't work re-shoot at what does, and record the info and display both shots. The purpose it 1, find best camera's for sun shots and 2 find the best sensor manufacturer.

This is not just a sunset thread its a test of sensor thread.

---------- Post added 01-15-22 at 05:55 PM ----------

K-30 has sony sensor (also used in nikon but nikon secret sause in on the nikon sensor) 645D has kodak sensor K5 has samsung sensor, istd has the nikon sensor hope you guys see where I'm going with this thread it will benifit us all, it's just like the day I took my film camera down to the sunset and took a whole large album of photo changing setting by one stop every shot that day I learnt photography this thread I want to learn digital cameras, sensors mainly to see which are the best at handling light. I have been trawling some sunset shots in here and it really surprising how many have to wait for the sun to set to get their shot in.

NOTE: I also forgot to specify the light meter setting use a spot meter and use the blue sky for a meter point if your camera is set so you can reposition shot keeping shutter button halfway down you will retain your meter reading, this will lighten up the photo's a fair bit.

Last edited by Kombivan; 01-16-2022 at 08:18 PM.
01-15-2022, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

With all my questioning thoughts about this one, I will try first. That's a set untouched shots (except the landscape profile that I was using). K-70, dal 18-55 WR, ISO 100, [1/500s --> 1/200s], f8
The sun was just setting, I liked the reflection, mostly. The kit lens might not be of amazing optical quality but that's not the point here.
Attached Images

01-15-2022, 03:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just learnt the k3 111 may have a fujifilm sensor, and nice shots thanks for helping. They are a bit darker than I was expecting. sun is sharp. I think the k70 may have a sony sensor like the K30 not sure though will do some more reading. Thinking now possibly a ISO of 400 or 800 might be better suited to test shots. but if all settings are the same we may still see a difference. You know these shots are just a little darker than fuji 100 @ f8 x 500. ( I got the bible out)

That is interesting how the glow on the water is lighter in the 1:200 second photo yet the shot is lighter.
I guess that photo washed out amazing how it acts like old school developing would work. The height of the sun could also contribute.

NEXT.

Last edited by Kombivan; 01-15-2022 at 07:33 AM.
01-15-2022, 04:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
Just learnt the k3 111 may have a fujifilm sensor, and nice shots thanks for helping. They are a bit darker than I was expecting. sun is sharp. I think the k70 may have a sony sensor like the K30 not sure though will do some more reading. Thinking now possibly a ISO of 400 or 800 might be better suited to test shots. but if all settings are the same we may still see a difference. You know these shots are just a little darker than fuji 100 @ f8 x 500. ( I got the bible out)

NEXT.
By the way the K5 has a Sony sensor not Samsung.

01-15-2022, 05:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great pondering here, are you limiting this to Pentax cameras only? Reason I ask is I bought a Nikon D2H to experiment with and was blown away with the quality for such an old and small resolution sensor. I'm a fan of odd sensors, with my favorite being the Foveon's. I still love my Pentax K-S1, but I have a lot more fondness for the rendering I get in those two other cameras a lot of the time.

Happy to get involved in this if other brands are welcome, but cool if just Pentax.
01-15-2022, 05:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

NEXT.
I like where this is going...
Yes, the shots are dark, but as I said, I'd normally crank up the EV in pp, so these are SOOC shots. That's the point of comparison IMHO.
01-15-2022, 07:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
By the way the K5 has a Sony sensor not Samsung.
I read on Wikipedia that they had samsung. sony usually produce good gear, That first photo Michail showed me why Fuji was a better film than Kodak in negatives as the Kodak didn't handle the light as well as Fuji. again a reference from my bible the album I took heaps of photo's one stop apart one evening using every setting possible did it with a Minolta x300 and a Minolta x700 that would have been 1997. this taught me everything I know about using a camera. Just one afternoon from hopeless to an expert literally overnight.

01-15-2022, 07:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The *istD does not have a Nikon sensor. It has the same Sony sensor as the Nikon D100 so that makes both Nikon and Pentax models Sonys by that logic.
01-15-2022, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
Great pondering here, are you limiting this to Pentax cameras only? Reason I ask is I bought a Nikon D2H to experiment with and was blown away with the quality for such an old and small resolution sensor. I'm a fan of odd sensors, with my favorite being the Foveon's. I still love my Pentax K-S1, but I have a lot more fondness for the rendering I get in those two other cameras a lot of the time.

Happy to get involved in this if other brands are welcome, but cool if just Pentax.
NO any camera you have its all educational. I just picked up a rebel on eBay so I can have a go with it as well I did accidentally buy an EOS tamron lens by mistake a few years back so it will make a good swamp camera. Tuesday I'll have the nurse come in and I'll try to get some shots then.

Not of the Nurse, of a sunset the nurse helps with my wife she has dementia.

Last edited by Kombivan; 01-15-2022 at 07:35 AM.
01-15-2022, 07:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I read on Wikipedia that they had samsung. sony usually produce good gear, That first photo Michail showed me why Fuji was a better film than Kodak in negatives as the Kodak didn't handle the light as well as Fuji. again a reference from my bible the album I took heaps of photo's one stop apart one evening using every setting possible did it with a Minolta x300 and a Minolta x700 that would have been 1997. this taught me everything I know about using a camera. Just one afternoon from hopeless to an expert literally overnight.
Well this is from the Wikipedia article on the K5
"The use of a Sony sensor in the K-5 signalled a major departure from the Samsung sensor partnership."

01-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Well this is from the Wikipedia article on the K5
"The use of a Sony sensor in the K-5 signalled a major departure from the Samsung sensor partnership."
the article I read included the k7 as well which was a samsung it's always good to get info correct thank you for the correction as I benifit from it as well.
01-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NO any camera you have its all educational. I just picked up a rebel on eBay so I can have a go with it as well I did accidentally buy an EOS tamron lens by mistake a few years back so it will make a good swamp camera. Tuesday I'll have the nurse come in and I'll try to get some shots then.

Not of the Nurse, of a sunset the nurse helps with my wife she has dementia.
Thanks Kombivan, and hope the nurse is a lovely person as many of them are. I'll get out and aim for the sun tomorrow evening with the D2H.
01-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never seen two sunsets or sunrises alike, I think it would be impossible to rate the sensors this way without shooting the shots with identical compositions at the same exact time with the same lens, even then, one camera may meter differently, the white balances may be set differently. And of course the cameras don't use the same processors. There are just too many variables in this. I think over a broad sample size of your own, you can decide you like one more than the other, and someone else may have a totally different experience.
01-15-2022, 09:45 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You're going to get a lot of variability because if atmospheric conditions. For instance, this was taken with my K3 and Tamron 500mm f8 mirror at 1/60 second and ISO 100. I wouldn't normally try something like that for fear of damaging something, but there was so much smoke in the air from forest fires this summer that the sun wasn't very bright. Usually what makes a sunset look good is what's in the air blocking or diffusing the light, and that's different for every day and location.

This one was taken in Greece, in 2010. Jpeg straight out of my K10D, but I don't remember what lens. Probably my old DA 16-45.

Kristian

Last edited by turbo_bird; 01-15-2022 at 09:55 PM.
01-16-2022, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whilst I agree with Ramseybuckeye and Kristian, you won't be able to conduct a true comparison of parity, I do think the idea behind this thread had merit. Restricting the settings that we can all compare (base ISO (albeit I think 200 needs to be the base as old Nikon's such as mine don't go lower) aperture and shutter speed) but totally agree with Ramseybuckeye that you won't be able to control the lighting variables of the scene or the way different models deal with WB.

And everyone's eyes see colour and interpret this differently, so naturally some are more preferable to others, no getting around that.

It could be best to stick to a subject topic (eg flower, sunset, car etc) and have the agreed settings to post the pics.

Kristan, your pics are a good example as whilst the red sun is striking, it shows nothing of any resolution or advancement benefits a K3 objectively has over the K10D, due to the scene- the Greek sunset is, to my eye, the much nicer render.

And so far the images have veered from those settings with f8 being the set standard 😉.