Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1453 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #1621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
Javier-you're killing me with this stuff all good but 1,3 and 4 especially LMAO. Keep it up.

I love this picture for the light.

10-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #1622
Veteran Member

Many thanks, Douglas and Fractal!
10-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #1623
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the cold, but if you have long coats then you don't have endless amounts of girls in bikinis strutting around. And there seem to be quite a few in LA..
Seriously though, that gets real old real fast...In the area where I live which is basically Hollywood, what I show u is really what it is like...We have no real winter here and I do not even own a jacket any longer...Oh and forget about the ''actual beach'' If ever in L.A. look me up we will have a blast..
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #1624
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
My first street shots with the K-7. Still love the DA15ltd so much that it spend much time on the K-7.

The K-7 turns out to be an outstanding street camera. I'm not hiding when I'm shooting, but since I want people to act normal, I want to be discrete. I want the shot before they realise that I take it. (another style is to present myself, talk with them, explain what I'm doing, to prepare more like a street portrait, and then it wouldn't matter if I even used a Pentax 67)
For the discrete shots the K-7 with ltd lenses is perfect. Small and so extremely silent. Fast.

To me, this is a wonderful capture...But where I live, it would be very hard to find people dressed like this...People around here walk around half naked....eeek...

10-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #1625
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
If ever in L.A. look me up we will have a blast..
That we would mate! L.A. looks to be an amazing place to photograph and I would love to make it there one day. Also, NYC would be a dream for me to photograph.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
People around here walk around half naked....eeek...
Geeze, your not kidding!

Last edited by fractal; 10-06-2009 at 08:35 PM.
10-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #1626
Inactive Account

Shot this morning.

10-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #1627
Veteran Member

Original Poster

10-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #1628
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love this picture for the light.
Thx Douglas -I quite love the early AM light here in Taiwan.
10-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #1629
Pentaxian

A few from Lukang one of the early commercial centers in Taiwan. Many temples and craftsmen around there.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL2  Photo 
10-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #1630
Inactive Account

Thanks Javier.

First time I think I have recieved the 'Fantastico'.. haha

bbluesman, I have heard the Taiwan light can take on a pretty heavy yellow tinge. Well, Taipei anway. Polluted no?
10-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #1631
Pentaxian

Thanks Javier.

bbluesman, I have heard the Taiwan light can take on a pretty heavy yellow tinge. Well, Taipei anway. Polluted no?
I think it's dust from the Gobi desert in western China.
10-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #1632
Inactive Account

The Gobi desert is very VERY far away from Tapei. I'd put my money on the sheer amount of people in the city and the pollution that makes its way from mainland China.
10-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #1633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Gobi desert is very VERY far away from Tapei. I'd put my money on the sheer amount of people in the city and the pollution that makes its way from mainland China.
Both are true depending on the winds. The Gobi dessert dust plumes are gigantic and reach far out into the Pacific, but combustion emissions of aerosol particles from traffic and other fossil fuel use are also large and increasing both in mainland China and locally on Taiwan. This is my research field, trust me. And I've been both in Taiwan and mainland China.

BTW, the Gobi dessert dust is the reason why China does not (yet) have that hard accidification problems from the downfall of sulfphuric acid particles from fossil fuel combustion. The dessert dust is alkaline and buffer for the acid particles and acid rain.
10-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #1634
Pentaxian

Both are true depending on the winds. The Gobi dessert dust plumes are gigantic and reach far out into the Pacific, but combustion emissions of aerosol particles from traffic and other fossil fuel use are also large and increasing both in mainland China and locally on Taiwan. This is my research field, trust me. And I've been both in Taiwan and mainland China.

BTW, the Gobi dessert dust is the reason why China does not (yet) have that hard accidification problems from the downfall of sulfphuric acid particles from fossil fuel combustion. The dessert dust is alkaline and buffer for the acid particles and acid rain.
Ahh an expert chimes in Interesting notes Douglas
10-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #1635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
Ahh an expert chimes in Interesting notes Douglas
Glad I could enlight you!

Dust are important for photographs!
Sometimes an enemy: on the sensor or film slides/negatives. When the Mie-light-scattering of particles in the air turn the sky greyish without a single cloud.
Sometimes an allied: when the particles makes a sunrise or sunset more spectacular.
You might not realise what an effort any lens maker, electronic manufacturer, CCD/CMOS producer etc does to keep dust particles away from their products. They buy loads more particle counters than we researchers do.
In a city you breath between 10,000 and several 100,000 particles per ccm (now considering this is a street shooting thread...the risk is that non of you will dare to change lenses any longer...). This is not good levels to breath all the time. On a 9 million population of Sweden (with half the population living in cities) estimates range between 500 and 5,000 deaths per year due to these particles. More than are killed in traffic. You can scale the numbers to your own city. It will roughly apply everywhere.
In rural areas you have a few 1,000 per ccm. In remote areas, say Northern Canada or Sweden, Amazonas, remote oceans, you have a few 100 per ccm.
When I was on the North Pole, I saw the particle counters go down to 1 per ccm. The air had no smell at all. Cleaner than a clean-room in Pentax lens factories.

Now I will stop. Sorry for going off topic. Don't want to get another infraction.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 10-07-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: hit the key too early