Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #1846
Veteran Member

These were taken before the last ones I posted. Let me set this up for you... Daytona Beach in September, 1:00am block party. Just me, my K7, DA* lenses and an AF-540FGZ. They turned out better than I thought they would for being in the middle of the night in the open.

Everyone assumed I was from the local press, so it made it easier to get into the crowd without the 'evil eyes' looking back at me. And yes, if they asked I was honest and said that I did not work for the local paper.

Again, comments welcomed and appreciated.

1. Bored Beauty

2. Drunk in Public

3. Line Dancing Waitresses

4. Dancing or Trying to Stay Up?

5. What B**ch?!

6. Opps...

7. Hair in Full Swing

8. She-ra?

9. Hands Full

10. Thugs Don't Dance

Last edited by Pentax_XTC; 11-19-2009 at 06:36 PM.
11-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #1847
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
These were taken before the last ones I posted. Let me set this up for you... Daytona Beach in September, 1:00am block party. Just me, my K7, DA* lenses and an AF-540FGZ. They turned out better than I thought they would for being in the middle of the night in the open.

Everyone assumed I was from the local press, so it made it easier to get into the crowd without the 'evil eyes' looking back at me. And yes, if they asked I was honest and said that I did not work for the local paper.

Again, comments welcomed and appreciated.

[/URL]
Hi Allen,
A lot of nice stuff. Much of it if you wanted it to be more street style would have more impact as B/W conversion. In many cases color distracts eye from key subject, or dilutes the impact of key subject,texture, and tone. There is no easy rule of thumb but what I usually notice with my choices for keeping color are when the image is simple and more tightly focused on key actor/subject. Nothing wrong with any of your shots but let's take bored beauty as an example. I know she has pretty blue eyes, but those eyes will be equally and maybe more striking in BW but the red of the coca cola very distracting pulling my attention away from girl.Of course this is totally subjective and no absolutes. Since you asked for comments I'll offer these for now. Nice clean shots!
11-20-2009, 01:33 AM   #1848
Pentaxian

Been a while since I've posted here...so here are a few

11-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #1849
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
Hi Allen,
A lot of nice stuff. Much of it if you wanted it to be more street style would have more impact as B/W conversion. In many cases color distracts eye from key subject, or dilutes the impact of key subject,texture, and tone. There is no easy rule of thumb but what I usually notice with my choices for keeping color are when the image is simple and more tightly focused on key actor/subject. Nothing wrong with any of your shots but let's take bored beauty as an example. I know she has pretty blue eyes, but those eyes will be equally and maybe more striking in BW but the red of the coca cola very distracting pulling my attention away from girl.Of course this is totally subjective and no absolutes. Since you asked for comments I'll offer these for now. Nice clean shots!
bbluesman, thank you for your comments. I am truely looking for constructive feedback like this. Right now I think my issue is getting a decent B&W conversion set up in Lightroom or Photoshop. The automatic settings don't seem to give me what I'm looking for and I haven't had too much time to play around with it.

I agree that the B&W would be much better for a lot of the shots, I guess I just need to sit down and hone my PP conversion skills a little more.

11-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #1850
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a stranger. The image wasn't as dramatic in color. I really like the B/W version.

In lightroom I added a whole mess of B/W presets. I just hover over them until one seems to pop out at me.

I shot this at 135mm, so there is no crop.
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #1851
Pentaxian

bbluesman, thank you for your comments. I am truely looking for constructive feedback like this. Right now I think my issue is getting a decent B&W conversion set up in Lightroom or Photoshop. The automatic settings don't seem to give me what I'm looking for and I haven't had too much time to play around with it.

I agree that the B&W would be much better for a lot of the shots, I guess I just need to sit down and hone my PP conversion skills a little more.
Hi Allen,
Glad you took criticism constructively as was intended. On the BW conversion issue check within the forum (here is one link). I have found the NIK SIlver EFX probably the easiest and best results. It is a PS plugin.

Last edited by bbluesman; 11-20-2009 at 12:53 PM.
11-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #1852
Veteran Member

Hi Allen,
Glad you took criticism constructively as was intended. On the BW conversion issue check within the forum (here is one link). I have found the NIK SIlver EFX probably the easiest and best results. It is a PS plugin.
NIK Silver EFX looks great, but since I bought almost everything you see in my signature all at once just 2 months ago; I would have to pay for a divorce lawyer to go along with the software once my wife found out.
11-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #1853
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

8. She-ra?

I like this shot. Love the composition.

11-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #1854
Veteran Member

How's this for an edit?...

11-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #1855
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Tons better!
11-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #1856
Pentaxian

Looking good-you can look at adding some noise in too if you want more of a film grain look, also raise ISO for feel/edge. See how striking here eyes are without the blue and no red to pull away from here face? Nice one.
11-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #1857
Pentaxian

A couple of night market shots and others

11-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #1858
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A couple of night market shots and others

Normally, I am not a fan of these, but you nailed this one. I have been enjoying this one now for a few minutes. This is great street photography!
11-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #1859
Inactive Account

Great shot mate.

Allen, nice candids!
11-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #1860
Inactive Account

Taken some time back in China.