Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1453 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #2491
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Your street shots are quite unique Douglas. Low angles such as what you have captured with 'Plugged Girl' often intrigue me. Is it a hip shot?
Yes, I too was going to make a similar comment. I for the life of me, can't get the shooting from the hip technique. I just can't seem to do it. Great job Douglas.

02-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #2492
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Thanks Javier, Im really hapy with these. Especially the one where they actually don't kiss but one can see their profiles against the light background and see how their noses touch. How wonderfull to be young and in love! Of course they don't care that it is -20C outside!
I could not agree more...
02-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #2493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Your street shots are quite unique Douglas. Low angles such as what you have captured with 'Plugged Girl' often intrigue me. Is it a hip shot?
Thanks Carl!
Yes, both those "plugged" shots are from the hip. If I am familiar with the angle of view of a lens, I can aim and shoot quite accurately from the hip. Keeper rate is of course better for wide angles and worse for normals and quite low for tele, but I do get some usefull shots even for the 70ltd on APS-C or the Super Tak 105 on the spotmatic (can be confusing to change between APS-C and 135mm film). Mostly I do it with wide angles very close to people, part of the crowd so to say. Even while I walk sometimes. These are shots that could not be taken in another way. I would even run into something/someone if I walked with the camera in front of my face or I would freek people out and get a completely different sort of photos. Like Javier says, though I still think we apply it differently, it is all about being obvious. If you just look like a guy walking with your camera in your hand, or if you shoot with it in front of your face, but so relaxed that it is like the most natural thing, no one react. You are invisible.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Yes, I too was going to make a similar comment. I for the life of me, can't get the shooting from the hip technique. I just can't seem to do it. Great job Douglas.
Thanks Javier!
Don't know if it help to practise. But you seams to be doing well with your technique anyway.
02-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #2494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some more:

02-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #2495
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like Javier says, though I still think we apply it differently, it is all about being obvious. If you just look like a guy walking with your camera in your hand, or if you shoot with it in front of your face, but so relaxed that it is like the most natural thing, no one react. You are invisible.

Thanks Javier!
Don't know if it help to practise. But you seams to be doing well with your technique anyway.
Yep, this works for me.
02-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #2496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are also two other interesting aspects about shooting from the hip:

1) It can help to isolate peoples face/head against the sky/ceiling etc.
2) It is the perspective of a child! Walking among giants.
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #2497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably a bit awkward pic in this thread, but these two are strangers, and the thing they're running on is a street, so....let it be....

Orestegor 200/4

02-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #2498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some with the 70ltd:

02-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #2499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Probably a bit awkward pic in this thread, but these two are strangers, and the thing they're running on is a street, so....let it be....

Orestegor 200/4
It is a public place and they are strangers, I think Javier meant this thread to be so widely defined ("street style").

Like the shot for the composition and bw-greyscale. Nice work!
And the orestegor is not a lens to be ashamed of. I love mine. 15 blades I believe. Can be a bokeh monster, though you can get strange star-like reflexes in hard light over water and sometimes the contrast is not that good. But the 15 blades makes up for a lot.
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #2500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Douglas, that second one is sublime! And thanks for the kind comment
02-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #2501
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a public place and they are strangers, I think Javier meant this thread to be so widely defined ("street style").
Exactly. It is al about having fun
02-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #2502
Pentaxian

There are also two other interesting aspects about shooting from the hip:

1) It can help to isolate peoples face/head against the sky/ceiling etc.
2) It is the perspective of a child! Walking among giants.
You've got it down and it rocks. I recently watched a video of a fairly famous street shooter who is actually a pro taking pictures of famous people. He shoots everyone from sitting on ground position. Here is short video of Platon on Charlie Rose with some of his awesome images
02-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #2503
Pentaxian

Loner

Sun's up

Troika

All shot with Cosina at 200 ISO f.5.8/8
02-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #2504
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote