Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And some more...

01-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And even 3 more

Last edited by Rense; 01-30-2009 at 04:19 AM.
01-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Javier, it's great . The one I posted is cropped already a little, but your crop and further pp is just magic! The strange thing is: I tried BW myself, but I decided the colour one was better. But now when I see yours, I can't believe I did not do that myself.

Have you done other things besides crop and B/W? Any filter or other effect?

Thanks!
Thanks Rense, I appreciate that. Here are the steps I took, all in CS3
Cropped and resizing to 700pix
Converted it to gray scale.
Added film grain and intensity.
adjusted contrast with with curves.
All in all less than 5 minutes.

PP is something I am just learning myself and I tend to overcook things, so take what I say as a grain of salt. I believe my biggest advantage is that I shoot allot of film so I know what i want to see in an image, at least for me.
01-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #259
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well Javier, tried to do some shots and conversions myself this morning. Here they are, anxious to know what you think!

Excellent!...Bravo..This one in particular from this set really stands out to me. Lots of emotion in her face having to deal with two strollers.

well done!!!!!

01-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #260
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And some more...

Excellent, Try adding a tad of grain and some contrast to it. This is a good capture!
01-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #261
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Javier,
You do these shots with a sense of boldness that I lack. What lens do you usually use? Are you going long to get in so close?

steve

Two more from me:

68th and Lex subway stop

This one wasn't taken with a Pentax, but I like it anyways
01-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #262
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And even 3 more

This is an ''EXCELLENT'' capture!!!. I hope you don't mind again.
Exact steps.
Crop and straighten 2 deg and resized to 500pix
Added grain and contrast and that be it. Here is a screen shot of my settings. Not a good screen shot, but none the less.

By jgredline

By jgredline
01-30-2009, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #263
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skeuos Quote
Javier,
You do these shots with a sense of boldness that I lack. What lens do you usually use? Are you going long to get in so close?

steve
Steve, those are some great captures. Wish I had a subway around, I would be in there allot.

As for my Lens choice, Rarely do I use a long lens. most of images are shot with my Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 lens. Of late I have been using my Tamron 18-250mm, but rarely go over 100mm. Infact most are between 18-50mm.

When shooting film, I usually use my 40 or 50mm lens. Most of my images are on film. As far as boldness goes, I never try and hide what I am doing. I just point, shoot and keep walking. Never stand in the same place for more than a minute unless your composing. It helps to have tWo cameras with you at all times because most folks will just assume your a photographer and not pay attention to you. Men are far more difficult to shoot, because we tend to be more of a guard dog. Women for the most part like to have there pictures taken so the trick is to catch them before they ''ham'' up and start posing which happens to me allot. At that time, offer ''your'' e mail address to them and have them send you a request for the picture...

When caught, just be honest. I was caught yesterday by women at a bus stop and when she asked me why I took her picture, I responded with the truth...''Your a beautiful lady and could not pass up the opportunity to photograph such a pretty creature''...I then gave her my e mail address and I sent her the image last night. I have cards with my name and e mail on them that I will pass out. Gives folks a sense of peace and security.

The biggest mistake is sneaking around. I learned this early on...And if all else fails, be ready to run

01-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
This is an ''EXCELLENT'' capture!!!. I hope you don't mind again.
Exact steps.
Crop and straighten 2 deg and resized to 500pix
Added grain and contrast and that be it. Here is a screen shot of my settings. Not a good screen shot, but none the less.
Javier, thanks again. I have to install Photoshop again, because I can't add grain right now.... Had to buy a new computer, and bought LR2, but just could not find time to re-install PS. And...I have only the limited edition (however, it has the possibility to add grain)). In the biker pic I already added contrast, but you even added more! I like the outcome, however.
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and thanks for the comments and compliments!
01-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #266
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Javier, thanks again. I have to install Photoshop again, because I can't add grain right now.... Had to buy a new computer, and bought LR2, but just could not find time to re-install PS. And...I have only the limited edition (however, it has the possibility to add grain)). In the biker pic I already added contrast, but you even added more! I like the outcome, however.
The grain is only a personal preference, so don't go by what I say or do, uless you like it. I believe you can get the same effect with L2. I only have L1.4 and never really learned to use it..

Keep at it. You are off to a great start!
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #267
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is one I took at ISO2000 in very dark conditions...
The noise is not the cameras fault, I purposely underexposed the image for the noise, I was way left on
the histogram..I was hoping the noise would replace the grain I would normally add.
Critique would be appreciated. I starting to do more street / night shooting with NO flash.

Last edited by jgredline; 01-30-2009 at 08:31 PM.
01-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #268
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

She'll grow into it.
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #269
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice one Mike,

Here is another.
01-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #270
Veteran Member

I think maybe a bit too much noise on those last two, Javier. Looks less like film grain and more like CCTV footage. Nice compositions, though!

I went shooting again today at lunch. Should have a few shots for later tonight.