West Village... yeah, baby!

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

SMC Takumar 35/3.5, Yashica TL Electro-X, Kodak BW400CN

Note the guy up on the fire escape

02-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #333
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thanks Steve,
That day was flat awful. Right smack in the middle of the noon day sun in a really sunny southern cali day. As for the DOF, not much I could have done there. I shot that with film and I basically preset the camera to F16 and prefocused. This is the best way to get street shots like this.
I wanted to understand the term "prefocus" so I googled it and found an interesting discussion of street shooting on flickr:

Flickr: Discussing Camera setting for street photography (do you prefocus?) in RAW Street Photography
02-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #334
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by speedoo Quote
I wanted to understand the term "prefocus" so I googled it and found an interesting discussion of street shooting on flickr:

Flickr: Discussing Camera setting for street photography (do you prefocus?) in RAW Street Photography

There is some good discussion there. I have read that article from P.net as that is where I usually post at. Street shooting takes time to learn I think. I have been street shooting for about three years now and still struggle every now and again. Always learning new things.. The latest thing that I have learned is to try and catch peoples ''eyes'', preferably looking at the camera. Of course this takes confidence and some people might get upset..The intersections are the best places for this, because you are very obvious as people are already looking in your direction waiting for the light to turn green.... NEVER sneak around, I never hide what I am doing. Just yesterday or was it the day before, I caught this one fellow with his girl and got a great reaction. About 20 minutes later I saw them again and got a second shot. Priceless.....I will post them up in a second. Went to another intersection and just pointed across the intersection and waited for someone to notice and got another good image. After I shot these girls, they started to pose and ham up for shots, but those posed shots, I am not interested in....People are always hamming up to me and of course at that point they are no longer candid...

There are many different techniques and which one to use will depend on equipment for that day.

I use maybe, 5 or 6 different set ups and I decide what to use depending on where I am going. My two favorites are my ME SUPER with 40F/2.8 pancake and my K10D with Tamron 28-75 F/2.8...With my ME being number 1

With the ME SUPER and the 40 F/2.8 It reaches infinity at 10 feet, so it is very forgiving. That particular lens is an amazing performer. Here is my baby that goes with me every place I go...It is small, light, compact, does not draw attention, looks old, so people ignore it...Film these days is cheap. But because it cost money, most shots are keepers....

02-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #335
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The story of these three images is above in blue.

The evil eye part 2

Hamming it up.
02-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #336
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Sure - why not?

Great shot Mike. What are they looking at?
They were all four out hunting for photo subjects for an upcoming exhibition (I stopped and talked with them a while). They all seemed to be trying very hard to take the exact same shot of the exact same objects all the time I was watching them.
02-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
They were all four out hunting for photo subjects for an upcoming exhibition (I stopped and talked with them a while). They all seemed to be trying very hard to take the exact same shot of the exact same objects all the time I was watching them.
That's why I dislike photographing in groups.

02-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #338
Veteran Member

I can actually contribute to this thread! Amazing.

I missed the focus in this one

Open wide

Say cheeeeeeeeese!
02-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #339
Pentaxian

Some else from Jerusalem..

security guy

excursion

triple

Last edited by Patriot; 02-13-2009 at 06:20 AM.
02-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I can actually contribute to this thread! Amazing.

Say cheeeeeeeeese!
Love these two. Kids and a proud papa always make for a great capture.

The fellow shooting a lousy pigeon with his cell phone is classic.
02-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #341
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
Some else from Jerusalem..

security guy

this image tells a great story with your single simple sentence. ISRAEL, is on my list of places to visit.
02-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #342
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmmm

relaxing

Friday the 13th
02-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #343
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
this image tells a great story with your single simple sentence. ISRAEL, is on my list of places to visit.
You really should visit Israel. Although Israelies seem tough at times this is only because of the problematic situation in our country, they are actually very warm and kind people.
02-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #344
Veteran Member

NYC, Super Takumar 50/1.5, SP1000, Ilford XP2

Last edited by Nesster; 02-13-2009 at 01:07 PM.
02-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nesster, I like this last one very much!