Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #6601
Veteran Member

@crewl1 the dog i like much, pleasure to watch this shot.
@ivoire i think this frame, had it been a little wider and in b/w it would be even better

a couple from me.

04-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #6602
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the two old men chatting one, crosshair!

I've been away on holidays and spent a lot of time stretching my street photography skills. i'm certainly a lot more comfortable whipping the camera now than before, but i wonder how much of it is Tourist mentality, vs general photography mentality.

Either way, here's a serendiptious one taken for my Singles in April yesterday. I just wanted the building and alley way. The guy just walked into the shot!

04-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #6603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too many good shots here lately to really have the time to comment them! Nice to see new contributors as well.

Here are some more from Göteborg.

#These legs

#2 On the bridge

#3 Pale

#4 Waiting

#5 Riders
04-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #6604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VisualDarkness - nice set esp Stroll.
Crosshair - 'I mean' is great, nice shots.
Wolfiegirl - stepping out of the car, good deal! I like this crossing man - now tell the truth, you were stalking him and positioned yourself to catch him!
Douglas - great set, the bridge shot and the characters around the statue are cool. I noticed many of your shots have a low angle - are these hip shots or are you crouching? The girl in sunglasses on the bridge clocked you

04-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #6605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
VisualDarkness - nice set esp Stroll.
Crosshair - 'I mean' is great, nice shots.
Wolfiegirl - stepping out of the car, good deal! I like this crossing man - now tell the truth, you were stalking him and positioned yourself to catch him!
Douglas - great set, the bridge shot and the characters around the statue are cool. I noticed many of your shots have a low angle - are these hip shots or are you crouching? The girl in sunglasses on the bridge clocked you
Thanks!
No, I'm a midget, didn't you know?
(now that would have been awkward for you if I was indeed a dwarf...or seven years old )

When I shoot with 28mm on film or around 20mm on the DSLR, like here the DA21ltd, I shoot a lot from the hip. It is something I got used to long ago when I did it with the waist level finder on the LX...and then I discovered that I didn't need the viewfinder to "hit the target". It is of course easier to take a shot without getting peoples attention if you never lift it to the eye. You could describe it in less than polite terms if you are among those who think that public spaces should be protected and private as your living room. But for many of my shots, I consider it necessary. People behaves differently as soon as they spot a camera, in a positive or a negative way, but different non the less.
I'm a bit tempted to get a Pentax 67 with a 55mm lens and a waist-level finder to try to do the same on 6x7cm negatives. Some day.
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #6606
Veteran Member

I'm impressed Douglas, I've tried it a lot lately and never hit the target. Although I usually shot with the DA70 so the angle is really narrow.
04-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #6607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

around the copper mare

The statue with the guy on the horse in my previous posting is a famed meeting point in Göteborg, and in that lovely spring weather we got during my visit there, people were all around it. It is actually the Swedish king Karl IX on his stallion (he ruled around 1600, father of the king Gustaf II Adolf who is more famed than his father for winning the 30-year war in Germany between protestants and the catholic church, and the pope and the emperor & Co., and for running the largest army on the European continent in between the Mongols and Napoleon, not so famed for having founded Göteborg, anyway, end of history lesson), who with the typical sense of humor people have in Göteborg is called "kopparmärra" = "copper mare" (mare is a female horse). I haven't shot street shots around kopparmärra since the late 1980's when I took math and physics in Göteborg, and then it was on film of course. Still a good place for street shooting.

#1. Student 1

#2 Student 2

#3 Student ?

#4 Old school

This and the following is from an outdoor bar next to the statue.

#5 Trench coat guy

#6 Profile

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 04-17-2012 at 04:21 PM.
04-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #6608
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I'm impressed Douglas, I've tried it a lot lately and never hit the target. Although I usually shot with the DA70 so the angle is really narrow.
With the 70ltd I miss about 2/3rd of the shots. That is roughly the limit to when it is possible. With the Sigma 20/1.8 or the 21ltd I hit the target most times. Some cropping here and there. Better to have to cropp a bit of empty space afterwards than having to do without a head. There is also a lot that speaks in favor of a focal length comparable to a 28mm on film when you do street shooting. For peeople on the same side of the street as you it is perfect. Close enough without too much distortion. Applies wether you shoot from the hip or not.
04-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #6609
Veteran Member

2/3rd!? I'm happy if I get the 23rd attempt...
04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6610
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Hahaha... no no no, I was sitting in the car in the passenger side. We were just driving by and I saw the alleyway come up as we drove past and thought oh that might look interesting. Next thing you know guy walks into the frame.

Here are some street shots I took (again in the car as a passenger) while on holidays.

I'd taken a few before during the trip but on the 35-80 01a. This time I had out the takumar 135/2.5 (non smc with hood version) and found it much easier to stalk undetected....

really happy with their expressions - especially the second one. I don't think I had my settings right when I took them - they're all a bit grainy, but ah well.. I'm still happy with them.

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 04-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
04-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #6611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
2/3rd!? I'm happy if I get the 23rd attempt...
That only means that the person(s)I aimed at are in the image frame. Not that Im happy with all other aspects.
04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #6612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Hahaha... no no no, I was sitting in the car in the passenger side. We were just driving by and I saw the alleyway come up as we drove past and thought oh that might look interesting. Next thing you know guy walks into the frame.

Here are some street shots I took (again in the car as a passenger) while on holidays.

I'd taken a few before during the trip but on the 35-80 01a. This time I had out the takumar 135/2.5 (non smc with hood version) and found it much easier to stalk undetected....

really happy with their expressions - especially the second one. I don't think I had my settings right when I too
k them - they're all a bit grainy, but ah well.. I'm still happy with them.
Wasnt there a dedicated scooter thread?
04-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #6613
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Wasnt there a dedicated scooter thread?
oh is there? coool... another thread to flood!
04-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #6614
Inactive Account

K10D + Pentax M 50/1.7

Curious and Curiouser

04-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #6615
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x + DA 35 2.4