Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #7051
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
[COLOR=black]
Start freakeng them out with tone maped HDR! Give them the Les Krims treatment. I luv street work in HDR.
How does that work? Moving people with the multiple exposures needed for HDR?

07-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #7052
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You could take one raw file and make 3 jpegs at -1/0/+1 ev and then combine them (heck with a K5 you could do 5 variants -2/-1/0/+1/+2
not really true hdr but it does work with the right sensor.
I guess if you have a fast enough drive and hey aren't moving (much) you could capture 3-5 high speed shots
07-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #7053
Veteran Member

It is most likely like Eddie says. You shoot raw and make 3 exposures PP and process them.

Les said he is using 40mp cam...must be a 645D unless threre is another 40'mper?
07-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #7054
Pentaxian

It is most likely like Eddie says. You shoot raw and make 3 exposures PP and process them.
Oh, is that what we're calling HDR? You still haven't added anymore light then what the camera captured in a single exposure. How do you get more highlights when they've possibly been clipped due to a high contrast scene, for example.

Last edited by tuco; 07-18-2012 at 09:47 AM.
07-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #7055
Veteran Member

Oh, is that what we're calling HDR? You still haven't added anymore light then what the camera captured in a single exposure. How do you get more highlights when they've possibly been clipped due to a high contrast scene, for example.
Exactly, though i guess with a sensor that can pull a top or 2 of info in either direction from a shot you will effectively get more DR by doing this. All HDR i've done (which isn't much) has always been landscape/tripod/5 shot then post process (light on the tone mapping thanks)
Maybe I should look for a street shot that looks like it has the potential and try this (or a portrait). none of my music stuff has enough infoto even try the light is so low usually
07-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #7056
Veteran Member

Yea, but you wont get the full DR unless you process with HDR. I don't know if Les processes for HDR or tone mapping. But you can get 'some' HDR from 1 image processed into 3 with PP.

Here is the proof...

jpeg / RAW

RAW turned into 3 exposures with LR processed with HDR

Maybe you can do the same thing with masking? I don't know. But you are not going to get the DR without using HDR technology...so it
is HDR to me as long as you get more DR out of an image. Sure, it is not as HDR as 9 exposures stacked. But it is HDR none the same.

I did the same treatment in my $1.50 ink jet shootout thread. Had to process the scans as HDR with 1 to 3 or the scans lacked shadow to match the originals.

Anyway, if you don't believe it is HDR from 1 RAW, then just call it tone mapped image.

BTW, even with movement, you can pick and choose 'sometimes' what to leave out of the image stack.

Last edited by slackercruster; 07-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.
07-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #7057
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Exactly, though i guess with a sensor that can pull a top or 2 of info in either direction from a shot you will effectively get more DR by doing this. All HDR i've done (which isn't much) has always been landscape/tripod/5 shot then post process (light on the tone mapping thanks)
Maybe I should look for a street shot that looks like it has the potential and try this (or a portrait). none of my music stuff has enough infoto even try the light is so low usually

The multi shot stacks are the way to go for serious HDR. 1 RAW to 3 is just a saving grace a lot of the time.

07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #7058
Pentaxian

The multi shot stacks are the way to go for serious HDR. 1 RAW to 3 is just a saving grace a lot of the time.
You can do the same thing without HDR software on a single RAW file. Lightroom, for example, has that brush tool. You can pull up/down values locally several stops or more within the range of information available in the file.

This single file with adjusted EVs into 3 files just makes for a plug-n-chug approach to human interpreted, hand editing.
07-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #7059
Veteran Member

You can do the same thing without HDR software on a single RAW file. Lightroom, for example, has that brush tool. You can pull up/down values locally several stops or more within the range of information available in the file.

This single file with adjusted EVs into 3 files just makes for a plug-n-chug approach to human interpreted, hand editing.

Yes. I don't fool much with all that. That is why I'm glad we got HDR software. I hope to learn more PP in the upcoming year so I can do more with PP.

BTW, I thought you were film all the way. You going over to digital...or was I wrong about your film luv?
07-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #7060
Veteran Member

Don't know about SLR but i am pretty sure Tuco has an X100
07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #7061
Pentaxian

BTW, I thought you were film all the way. You going over to digital...or was I wrong about your film luv?
Who doesn't shoot digital? I have several digital cameras. X100, XP1, D800 (on order) and an older DSLR that is going to be sold or given away to a nephew. I also shoot film. Who says it has to be one or the other. You can't do both?

Last edited by tuco; 07-18-2012 at 01:20 PM.
07-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #7062
Veteran Member

My mistake Tuco, thought you were all film.
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #7063
Veteran Member

Waiting for a train....had a while to compose this one

07-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #7064

I found this subject in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #7065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoa, he does not look happy . Nice shot, Loveless.