Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1453 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #7066
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My god, he looks like he's gonna kick someone's ass.

07-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #7067
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #7068
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveless Quote
I found this subject in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego
I'd be pissed too if I had to wear two wrist guards and a neck brace Great shot...love the "Fall Risk" tag.

A guy during an Occupy march in Portland.....I hear ya man.... K5 with the 40mm Ltd......

07-20-2012, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #7069
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
My god, he looks like he's gonna kick someone's ass.
Looks like he may have tried that and had his own ass kicked.

07-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #7070
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jesus guy, again.

07-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #7071
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Javier, did you give up on BW? You go over to color full time now? What caused that?

If so, start freakeng them out with tone mapped HDR! Give them the Les Krims treatment. I luv street work in HDR. Just don't go too crazy with the tone mapping. Just enuf for people to say...what the hell is that?

Here is Les Krims 'Money Maker' shot.

Very interesting Javier reading your beginnings of how you got out of birding and into people. How long were you a birder?

I agree, shooting can be very relaxing, unless your a $$$ tog and under stress to produce. How often to you hit the streets Javier?

If you overloaded with images, start being choosy with what you save.

Have you approached any of your subjects to get in their houses to take some shots?

What is the deal with you scanning negs? You going back to the stone age? I thought you were all dig? I'll be very happy the day I'm finished scanning my old negs...hate it.

I esp like your pix of the plumper gal with the bright colored cap. She is packed like a sausage! You do some nice work with the plumpers. Keep them coming!!

Daniel...XLNT work in Turkey!

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been super busy at work setting up a completely new structure and DMS system that will have me swamped for the next few months.
There has been some terrific conversations going and I will need to jump in there as well. But let me answer your questions best I can. I also need to get caught up on my flickr.

For those that may be wondering, this is the image that started me in SP and if you click on it, you can get a brief detail into how and why.

QuoteQuote:
Very interesting Javier reading your beginnings of how you got out of birding and into people. How long were you a birder?
I was birding for about three years. I mean serious birding for what little I truly did know at the time.

QuoteQuote:
I agree, shooting can be very relaxing, unless your a $$$ tog and under stress to produce. How often to you hit the streets Javier?
Right now on average because of my work load, it has been twice a month maybe, but when things get back to normal it will be about 8-10 times a month is what
my prayer is.

QuoteQuote:
If you overloaded with images, start being choosy with what you save.
I agree. In fact, a good shooting day for me is to come home with one or two good keepers. A great day is anything over that. In an all day shooting session, I will walk an average of 5 miles and shoot about 50 pictures. About two rolls worth. The vast majority of pictures I post here on PF, are at least 1.5 years old, but I am now just getting to them. The vast majority of these pictures that I post here are what I would consider average at best with a few good ones here and there. Many are nothing more than true snap shots. The reason I post them up here is for a few reasons. Number one, this thread is about ''capture a stranger'' and by street style, I mean out in public. It is meant for fun and nothing more. I enjoy seeing the various types of shots from very basic to extremely killer. Sure, there are pictures that leave me wondering, what the heck is that? But all in all, this thread in not a place to show your best work as it will soon get buried in the many pages.

I do show what I feel are my best pictures in my flickr stream and I am pretty picky about those. Those are also pretty current for the most part. You can see them here.

QuoteQuote:
Have you approached any of your subjects to get in their houses to take some shots?
No, that is not my style, though I admire what you have done. In fact, I really dig some of your work and find it to be killer. Don't pay attention to the haters. Do you have a flckr? I would bet many would love to see your work and it will be in a place for people to see always.

QuoteQuote:
What is the deal with you scanning negs? You going back to the stone age? I thought you were all dig? I'll be very happy the day I'm finished scanning my old negs...hate it.

I esp like your pix of the plumper gal with the bright colored cap. She is packed like a sausage! You do some nice work with the plumpers. Keep them coming!!
After my last experience with my new to me Leica M6, I too have had it with film. I am going to sell all of my film cameras except for a K1000 so that when an EMP hits, I am still good !
As for the plumper, which one are your referring to? For the record, I like all girls of any color shape and size. Look through my flcikr, lol...

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to me and I appreciate the kind words.
javier

Last edited by jgredline; 07-22-2012 at 07:12 AM.
07-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #7072
Veteran Member

Thanks Javier for all the insight!

Wow...you must be busy if you can only hit the streets a couple times a month. From the looks of your stuff, I thought you were out their almost daily. Will check out your flckr for up to date pix. Glad you gave up film, you don't need the added stress processing negs, scanning them and all that dust spotting.

I plan to make a site called slackercruster.com. My kid set me up with a shell site in that name and turned it over to me. He said I needed to learn Worpress to make it happen. That was about 5 months ago. My hope is to have it running half-ass, droopy assed or whatever by mid 2013. I'm in no hurry...have no idea what Wordpress even is. But will worry about that next year...at least I got the name.

I just got started with flckr. I will be posting a thread called 'L.A....1970's' that mirrors the 'Hollywood...1970's' thread, hopefully within the next month. Most of it will be on Flckr. Almost all the negs are scanned. I just have to reduce them and learn to spot them and upload. Spotting is next 2 - 3 weeks job. My ink jet / dye transfer shootout took a lot of my time. Also been very busy setting up a Oly EPM-1 M4/3 system. Everything from fisheye to med long zooms and lots of high grade primes.

That EPM-1 is without a doubt the finest cam I ever laid my hands on for shooting undercover. You should check it out Javier. I can't say enuf about it. Now if you like adjusting settings, then no it is a pain. But it has gotten the shot in about 98% of the time in very hard lighting conditions with the dummy setting. I use a 12mm Zuiko, fantastic undercover cam as one could hope for. Check out MU.43 forum if you want some info Javier.

I wished I had some wall space left in my room Javier. You have many great shots I'd luv to post up. Wife said I have to contain them to my room. So no place to expand unless I start putting them on the textured ceiling.

Yea, I like street shooting. Also like getting into people homes to record their life. Nowadays it is very tough doing that with strangers. Esp for me since I moved out of L.A. People here are very careful nowadays and paranoid.

You worried about EMP? These guys are right up your alley J!

Survivalist Forum Survival Gear SHTF and TEOTWAWKI Articles

Take care, stay safe and keep blasting away J!

SC

07-22-2012, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #7073
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks SC.
As far as the undercover stuff goes, I have found that by using a DSLR with grip, it makes it easier for me to get good shots because people know what my intentions are. I never hide and I am never sneaky. If I see a picture I want, I simply take it. If they see me, cool, if they don't, that is cool also.
07-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #7074
Inactive Account

K20D + Pentax A 35-105/3.5

07-23-2012, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #7075
Veteran Member

This is not my usual type of photography, but I've been enjoying the pictures in this thread of late. Here are some newbie attempts at the Santa Ana Transportation Center, with a borrowed Canon 5D Mark II and a Zeiss 50mm Makro F/2.

07-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #7076
Veteran Member

Welcome to the thread, Starting with a 50 on FF (so 35) is more brave than many people starting out
You find your comfort zone as time passes, I end to shoot somewhere between 14-35, and favour my 14 and 20 most of the time (though the 35 is nice to shoot once in a while)
07-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #7077
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boris - nice shot, looks relaxing.
abieleck - good catch, someone should add an "or spell" sticker at the bottom.
ihasa - nice perspective on jesus guy.
unartist - like the CD girl.
kenafein - I like the PP on those shots, cool.
07-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #7078
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-25-2012, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #7079
Pentaxian

The guy needs to make his move already.

07-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #7080
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The guy needs to make his move already.