Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #886
Damn Brit

First Foray

I had to go into the city today to enroll in my classes for fall semester so I thought I'd take the opportunity to try some street shooting for myself.
I have to say "Hat's Off" to all of you who have been out there for some time. It definitely isn't easy, in fact it's downright intimidating.

The first one was the one shot that I really thought about. It struck me that, if it weren't for the shopping cart, this guy would be invisible, so I tried to portray that in the image.
The second shot was an ice breaker for me. As you can see, she caught me in the act.
I smiled and mouthed a "thank you" to her and she smiled.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-29-2010 at 09:57 PM.
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #887
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Gary, that second image is superb!. Well done...It really is not as easy as it looks, though after a while, you will not even realize your shooting people or events. Be careful though, as it is very addicting. Street shooting is always different and always a challenge. Always things to shoot....I look forward to more.
05-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #888
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Gary, that second image is superb!. Well done...It really is not as easy as it looks, though after a while, you will not even realize your shooting people or events. Be careful though, as it is very addicting. Street shooting is always different and always a challenge. Always things to shoot....I look forward to more.
Thanks Javier. What did you think of the first one, did it convey what I wanted it to?
05-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #889
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gary, the first one does convey... but only with your explanation. I.e. to me it's not something the image itself conveys strongly. Though 'black hole' did come to mind before I read what you wrote.

On the second one, her hair sure looks like a wig.

05-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #890
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gary, I agree with Nesster. In that particular photo, it is missing the context. Sure we know that the man is homeless, but what we don't know is where he is at. Can you post up the same image un-cropped?
05-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #891

Ok, but where might we find the image?
I'm sorry? if you mean the orignal, it's on my Deviantart and Facebook pages, if you mean location, outside The Gap outlet, George Street, Oxford, England, Valentines day 2k9
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #892
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pwn4g3_P13 Quote
I'm sorry? if you mean the orignal, it's on my Deviantart and Facebook pages, if you mean location, outside The Gap outlet, George Street, Oxford, England, Valentines day 2k9
Sorry, I can't see it. I do not have face book and the other link takes me to a website.
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #893
Pentaxian

Original Poster

05-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #894
Pentaxian

Original Poster

05-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #895
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Gary, the first one does convey... but only with your explanation. I.e. to me it's not something the image itself conveys strongly. Though 'black hole' did come to mind before I read what you wrote.

On the second one, her hair sure looks like a wig.
I hope she doesn't see this.

Gary, I agree with Nesster. In that particular photo, it is missing the context. Sure we know that the man is homeless, but what we don't know is where he is at. Can you post up the same image un-cropped?
That is the image pretty much. I cropped a tiny bit from the LH side because there was half a head coming into the frame. It was just that when I first saw him, he was 'exposed' and the cart was in the shadow. Then he changed direction and it became the other way round. I just liked the idea of the shopping cart being pushed by an anonymous shadow.
I guess that's why I'm going to school, to improve my art and what I want to portray.
These were my first attempts,practice makes perfect.

That last one of yours doesn't look too happy about her picture being taken Javier.
05-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #896
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gary, Yea, she did not like her picture being taken. But hey, I just finished spending $75.00 at Claim Jumpers for dinner for both my wife and I...Gary, I am glad to read you will be giving street a go. Just remember. Don't let anyone dictate your style. Learn your own and shoot for yourself. Some will like it and most won't. For some reason, most people look down on street shooters. I have been doing it for three years and am still very much learning. So shoot for yourself and use what your most comfortable with...

Let me offer my opinion on the images you posted. These are my opinions and my critique is based on ''my'' taste so take it as a grain of salt.

1) The shopping cart image. From my point of view it needs context. Where is he at? Where is he going? Even if there are other people with cut off limbs or what ever, it does not matter. It will add to the context. If it had a foot or three in front it would have made a huge difference. If there was nothing in front, then it would have been like and endless walk. pushing to noplace. if he where in a Beverly hills, then it is irony, if he is in a guetto, then it is ghetto life. Your use of black and white is perfect for this capture. A red filter would have worked great in this image as it would have highlighted the man a little bit more.

2) The second image is very good. There is lots of emotion in that capture. In most photography, cut off limbs is a nono..but in street shooting, it is perfectly acceptable. It simply adds to the capture and is truly candid. everytime you catch a ''face'' you scored points..The girl eating the chips is priceless and the fellow with the cap smoking the cigarette simply adds to the drama of the capture. Take the artist next to him and the others looking lost and you have a fine capture there!!! Well done...

3)The third shot is ok, Had he turned and you captured a nose or eyes, you would have got some sort of expression. From a composition point of view, it is a good photo, but an OK street photo.

4) The fourth image is pretty good. Looks like he is looking at you out the corner of his eye. People texting and making calls is always an easy capture and they turn out good. I like the bokeh on that shot as well. The bokeh draws me to the other fellow texting and that is a huge +..The composition on this image is very good!!!!

5) The fifth image is brilliant from a composition point of view. I love the way you framed the the fellow sleeping between the the two posters. Your use of black and white is spot on with good tones....

I would say you are well on your way my friend...Go get em.
05-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #897
Damn Brit

Thank you very much for that Javier.
05-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #898
Veteran Member

The 43 limited.
05-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #899

Sorry, I can't see it. I do not have face book and the other link takes me to a website.
Oh I see...the image itself is missing. great first attempt at contribution

05-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #900
Inactive Account

Gary, your right.. it can be very intimidating. In the pursuit of street shots yesterday i got approached by a gigantic grumpy rottweiler.. that was very intimidating.. luckily the Chinese owners calmed it down.

Oh, and i'm sorry if you expected a photo of a savage rottweiler but i got out of the hell out of there quick smart.

Last edited by fractal; 05-22-2009 at 03:48 AM.