Killer shot Julio....!!!!
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #6558
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

04-13-2012, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #6559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Man, Ivoire. The structure in those photos really hits the eyes.

Here's a shoot-from-the hip failure that I nonetheless like. Understand completely if it's not your cup of tea.

04-13-2012, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #6560
Veteran Member

"that a balloon ?"

04-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #6561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote

Here's a shoot-from-the hip failure that I nonetheless like. Understand completely if it's not your cup of tea.

Basset..... Like this one a lot... no faces and yet the drama is so well captured.

Appreciate your comments. While i love digital for its simplicity, it always seems to lack the feel of 35mm BnW so i'm working on some software formula to achieve that feel.
04-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #6562
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote

Appreciate your comments. While i love digital for its simplicity, it always seems to lack the feel of 35mm BnW so i'm working on some software formula to achieve that feel.
I gave up trying to get that film feeling of film. For me personally, it is not going to happen. So I started to shoot film again

04-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #6563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I gave up trying to get that film feeling of film. For me personally, it is not going to happen. So I started to shoot film again
Have thought about it but can't talk myself into getting another system plus a scanner and then theres the film. I suspect i would have far too many bad/wasted shots. Had i started with film it might be a different story. So fire some off and post so we can enjoy them.
04-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #6564
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Some people can shoot from the hip very well. It does add a new pov. Personally, it is frustrating to me as I was simply not good at it.
Having said that, if I could do it and do it good, I would...I wrote some brief comments about this on my flickr.
Check it out here

Check it out and see what a few others said as well.
04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #6565
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have thought about it but can't talk myself into getting another system plus a scanner and then theres the film. I suspect i would have far too many bad/wasted shots. Had i started with film it might be a different story. So fire some off and post so we can enjoy them.
Personally, if I had to collect film bodies, film, scanner all of that stuff all over again, I would not do it either. For me what I appreciate the most about shooting film, is that it taught me about composition, choosing my shots and being very selective. Heck, I still use 2 gig memory cards and will not come close to filling one up any of my DSLR's even in a full days worth of shooting. The biggest issues with shooting film is to find a good lab to do the processing since I do not have the time to do it myself. I just sent off nine rolls to get developed and have three more on my desk.
Now I must admit, that I did just buy a Leica M6 TTL and it has been a joy to use.
04-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #6566
Veteran Member

Thats quite a large film commitment! and congrats... Its way out of my budget but one film camera i would seriously consider owning. Since posting in this thread I bought the DA-l 35mm for street and since i wanted a bit more stealthy reach a DA 70mm arrives on monday. Heres a crop from one with the 35mm and K5. I'm finding Nik silver efx to give some very nice BnW renderings.

Last edited by ivoire; 04-13-2012 at 09:42 AM.
04-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #6567
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats quite a large film commitment! and congrats... Its way out of my budget but one film camera i would seriously consider owning. Since posting in this thread I bought the DA-l 35mm for street and since i wanted a bit more stealthy reach a DA 70mm arrives on monday. Heres a crop from one with the 35mm and K5. I'm finding Nik silver efx to give some very nice BnW renderings.
Nice capture.
If I might make a suggestion, I would recommend you stay away from the massive crops. Stick with the DA 35 and fill the frame. You will get e more intimate capture and one that conveys you where a part of the scene. My Pentax kit is very small these days. I have sold most of it off and don't miss anything I have sold. My Pentax kit consist of a K20D, Cosina 24F/2.8, SMC-A 28F/2.8 and a DA35F/2.4.
With that kit, I miss nothing in the street. It means allot of walking, but I love it.

Your eye is excellent and your confidence is growing quickly and you are ready for the next step. You have superb processing skills and you are out and about. You are now shooting folks in the front and there is great context to your images...You have really impressed me.

Larry started out the same way and now look at him...He is putting out great intimate pictures. I look forward to them always. Keep shooting.
04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #6568
Veteran Member

JG... Thanks for the tips and confidence boost. I am enjoying the street shooting immensely. I almost sold the K5 but I still do a lot of wildlife when in florida so I have not been able to let go of the f*300mm. I did sell off most of my kit and am down to the DA 12-24 for paid work, the DA 35 f2.4 for street and the f*300. The DA70 f2.4 new at $470 was too good to pass up and i doubt i will invest more. I also took up walking and get in 3-5 miles several times a week. So far running has been unnecessary (hope it stays that way).
04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #6569
Inactive Account

I like this very much, it lets your imagination roam...

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
"that a balloon ?"
The Out of Focus area is just dynamite, as well as the rest!
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #6570
Veteran Member

@theunartist thank you it's the charm of the 85 star