Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #856
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Javier - I'd say it depends. I am conscious of the hyperfocal distance and usually set my lens thus. But then there are times when that won't work - like the other rainy day I spent walking around Manhattan, it was so wet the view finder kept fogging up. These are examples of the two extremes - one a preset focus to 'confrontation' distance (which turned out too near for the actual shots) and the other I actually managed a focus.

You do well with the hyperfocal, by the way, very well indeed.

Note focus is too close - I'd prefocused to 12 or 15 feet, f/8 or 5.6.

These I focused for real.

Kodak BW400CN, Yashinon DX 35/2.8, Fuji ST605, vintage red Pentax strap

05-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #857
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Javier - I'd say it depends. I am conscious of the hyperfocal distance and usually set my lens thus. But then there are times when that won't work - like the other rainy day I spent walking around Manhattan, it was so wet the view finder kept fogging up. These are examples of the two extremes - one a preset focus to 'confrontation' distance (which turned out too near for the actual shots) and the other I actually managed a focus.

You do well with the hyperfocal, by the way, very well indeed.

Note focus is too close - I'd prefocused to 12 or 15 feet, f/8 or 5.6.

These I focused for real.

Kodak BW400CN, Yashinon DX 35/2.8, Fuji ST605, vintage red Pentax strap
Great photos nesster and thanks for the explanation. I ask because it seems like you never miss the focus and have a knack for catching the moment. Well done my friend.
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #858
Veteran Member

Original Poster

05-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #859
Veteran Member

Thanks Javier. There's nothing like the contrast in weather in our latest pics, we're soaked in NY.

I call this set "Umbrellas and the backsides of strangers in nyc"

05-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #860
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This particular image has really moved me like no other I have ever taken has. I ended up buying this gentleman a meal, but wonder if there is more I could do...me super, CVS 400 speed film with tokina 28mm lens
05-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #861
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots on this page, I like the rainy ones very much. Here one from me, made this morning. K20d+DA 70.

05-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #862

Love this thread.

Not sure if these will show up, I've never used picasa before, but here goes...

From Friday night in Melbourne:

Ok, this one technically isn't a stranger, but I think it still fits

5. Sometimes the strange looking folk are the friendliest.

6. Shot from the hip, I usually don't like tilted shots, but i liked the way the lines on the ground draw the eye to the trio out the door.

7. I think one of the biggest things I have taken from this thread and jgredline is not to worry about noise, or image quality itself, and worry about the shot. I used to worry about shooting iso 1600, and would spend ages trying to get rid of the noise, now I actually kinda like it, especially when converted to black and white. This isn't a particularly good shot, but for me, it's an example in what I was just talking about.

Thanks again jgredline.

Last edited by Shonky; 05-15-2009 at 11:40 PM.
05-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #863
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shonky,
Thank you and welcome!!!!
Number 5 is absolutely great!...

A couple of comments on noise/grain and I am glad you brought that up. Personally, I really like it. It adds a certain mystery to the image that clean images just don't have. This is my opinion of course. I actually spend time trying to make my images look that way and tend to underexpose on purpose for this very reason. But in the end, it is all about the ''capture''. I come from the ''better to have a badly composed, under exposed, grainy, noisy, funky colored image than none at all''....Now in saying this, this type of approach only really works for street images. Most all other photography, you want to expose to the right to get the cleanest images possible.

and please, call me Javier
05-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #864
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

Nesster, this image is brilliant!
05-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #865
Veteran Member

Original Poster

05-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #866

Thanks Javier.

I'm going to be in LA for about 5 and a half hours between flights in three weeks. It will be a saturday midday. Do you think it would be feasible to walk from the airport to Venice in an hour or so? Are there any other good spots you can reccomend near the airport?

Love the shot of the guys flexing.
05-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is she sad or is the ice cream too cold or what? Don't know, but it looks so odd with her sad expression and the ice cream. I was going down an escalator outside the café playing with the camera, looking through the viewfinder, and for a short moment her face appeared in the viewfinder when the descent in the escalator got me in the right angle to see her...and I shot, and the crappy Pentax autofocus was fast enough... Got to love that DA70ltd!
05-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #868
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few from Al Hraboskys place near Busch Stadium in St. Louis. The sax player was on our walk to the park before the game. Unfortunately, it was a gray day today, so the photos are a bit blah..
The older couple in the 1st photo were dancing their butts off the whole time we were there, very entertaining, especially the husband!!

The last one was a "shot from the hip" and I got lucky that it came out well

Last edited by Stratman; 05-16-2009 at 06:58 PM.
05-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #869
Veteran Member

Pentax K20D
SMC-A 35-105/3.5

05-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #870
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote

The last one was a "shot from the hip" and I got lucky that it came out well

Totally a great capture!