Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 135 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2022, 03:43 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
After a long absence, I feel ready to rejoin this madness.
Well that's just the poke I needed; welcome back John!

I'll leave the lens choice to the last minute, but I'll really, really try to see the whole month through....

03-28-2022, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In with the DFA 100 for April.
03-28-2022, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just been out for a walk with both DA* zooms and remembered that neither is a lightweight. Maybe the M 24-35 might be better...
03-29-2022, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Settled on the SMC Pentax 30mm kindly sent to me by Mikey, a lens I have always wondered about

03-29-2022, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Settled on the SMC Pentax 30mm
The K 30/2.8 is on my short list too.
Nearly time for a decision!
03-30-2022, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm new to the challenge. Like Rigomatic, I'll be using the DFA 100. It's the nicest lens I own that I never use, if that makes any sense.
03-30-2022, 02:36 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The K30/2.8 is one of my favourite lenses. I pack it rather than one of the many 28s I have when travelling.

03-31-2022, 12:52 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Well that's just the poke I needed; welcome back John!

I'll leave the lens choice to the last minute, but I'll really, really try to see the whole month through....

03-31-2022, 06:07 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roam Redway Quote
I'm new to the challenge. Like Rigomatic, I'll be using the DFA 100. It's the nicest lens I own that I never use, if that makes any sense.
Welcome and have fun :-)
03-31-2022, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from me as well, even though I'm still green behind the ears myself - as we'd put it in German - with only 6.5 months of SiCs. And, it does make a lot of sense to me, because I follow(ed) a similar approach. I'm still unsure whether to continue with this philosophy in April.

PS: Interestingly, this linguist doesn't recognize our version as an idiom in it's own right in English, but rather insists that it is an idiom blend: https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/wordroutes/green-behind-the-ears/, whereas we sure have both 'not dry yet' and 'green', basically in succession.

Last edited by JensE; 03-31-2022 at 06:32 AM.
03-31-2022, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In American English, the phrase is usually “wet behind the ears”.
03-31-2022, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
In American English, the phrase is usually “wet behind the ears”.
Thanks, the commenting and discussion here is often an inspiration beyond the boring everyday English use on the job, which more often than not involves people who pay very little attention.

I'm well aware of "wet behind the ears", which seems to be the same metaphor as our "not yet dry behind the ears", resembling, in our use, immature or not quite ready yet, but "green behind the ears" is rather used as an expression for being new to something, not having a lot of experience. So in a sense, different stages. "Wet behind the ears" didn't fit for what I tried to express and therefore I translated the German variation, where the meaning should be obvious from the context. I only later ran a search on the literal translation and was surprised to find the - debatable - blog entry discussing it.
03-31-2022, 01:31 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Thanks, the commenting and discussion here is often an inspiration beyond the boring everyday English use on the job, which more often than not involves people who pay very little attention.

I'm well aware of "wet behind the ears", which seems to be the same metaphor as our "not yet dry behind the ears", resembling, in our use, immature or not quite ready yet, but "green behind the ears" is rather used as an expression for being new to something, not having a lot of experience. So in a sense, different stages. "Wet behind the ears" didn't fit for what I tried to express and therefore I translated the German variation, where the meaning should be obvious from the context. I only later ran a search on the literal translation and was surprised to find the - debatable - blog entry discussing it.

That’s interesting. The two are subtly different, though along the same lines.

I wonder the origin of the “behind the ears” thing.

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2022 at 07:32 AM ----------

Welcome 8)

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the challenge, and the group
03-31-2022, 02:07 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm new to the challenge.
Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy using the same lens for a month and learn a lot about it after doing so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
As am I. If I wasn't knee deep in work, I'd look it up. I'm guessing it has something to do with a newborn baby being wet all over after birth, and one who is so newly born as to not being completely dried off and cleaned up.
03-31-2022, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
For the "wet behind the ears" phrase, one plausible explanation was that it's referring to a newborn calf, where that last spot to dry is behind the ears. For the "green" version, it's more figurative, I would say: You don't recognize it right away, but will see it once you take a closer look.