Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2022, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am renting a DFA 85mm for a long weekend trip to see family. It will be a great opportunity to try this lens out.

05-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #137
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I am renting a DFA 85mm for a long weekend trip to see family. It will be a great opportunity to try this lens out.
Enjoy! Wider apertures are where the magic happens. Especially wide open
05-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Enjoy! Wider apertures are where the magic happens. Especially wide open
Thanks for the advice. I look forward to comparing it to the FA 77mm as well. I'm going to rent several of the D-FA newer lenses over the summer in preparation for an end of year purchase if one really suits me.
05-21-2022, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a good idea. I always forget about renting them before jumping in on a big purchase.

05-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I always forget about renting them before jumping in on a big purchase.
I'd rather have fewer but higher quality lenses now. I've already noticed that I have certain lenses that seldom get used, even with two bodies, and at the prices for those D-FA lenses, even used, it's the best course of action.

I noticed lensrentals has a 645Z available, so I will rent that for another long weekend.
05-21-2022, 11:40 PM - 2 Likes   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd rather have fewer but higher quality lenses now. I've already noticed that I have certain lenses that seldom get used, even with two bodies, and at the prices for those D-FA lenses, even used, it's the best course of action.

I noticed lensrentals has a 645Z available, so I will rent that for another long weekend.
Whereas I have built mine up around need and desire. I got my 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 for gigs and events whereas the limited lenses are just because I want them. Having said that, I may sell the 21mm & 40mm at some point, simply because the 20-40 does such a good job. Zooms, all are WR, which is necessary, 18-135 & HD 55-300 cover all I need and the 50-200 was so cheap, I have no qualms roughing it. OK, in terms of IQ, the zooms are great but there are better, however my budget doesn't run to better, also, given how rarely I go out with a zoom....... If I had the money I would have an 85mm f1.4 and a 55mm f1.4, especially having seen Ismo's fabulous images, but hey. Mind you, in order to get that level of loveliness I would have to get a K1, more expense. Nah. I am very happy with my lenses and my film cameras (my 2022 obsession) so my wallet can concentrate on less important outlays, like a new boiler

---------- Post added 21-05-22 at 11:44 PM ----------

Re. Sic, I am shooting every day but often bulk post. Also much of my stuff is safeties as my previous source of images has been curtailed massively. Bailey will be 15 in August so we don't go very far. I may join in next month, I find the sic is really good for me, but I will decide next week
05-22-2022, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #142
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
If I had the money I would have an 85mm f1.4 and a 55mm f1.4, especially having seen Ismo's fabulous images, but hey. Mind you, in order to get that level of loveliness I would have to get a K1, more expense.
There's really no financial point in DFA*85 unless you have FF or plan to go there. That 55, 50/1.2 or A*85 might make sence thought

05-22-2022, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
There's really no financial point in DFA*85 unless you have FF or plan to go there. That 55, 50/1.2 or A*85 might make sence thought
The DA*55mm f1.4 has been sharing top spot on my wish list with an FA100 macro for some time, but then Film photography happened I have gone a bit nuts and bought some beautiful cameras (Yashica Mat, Zeiss Ikoflex, Pentax MX) but it has taken over, for now, and my digital work as a consequence has fallen off a cliff. Maybe I DO need to sic the 40 or 15mm just to redress the balance
05-22-2022, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #144
Pentaxian

Fewer is good, I reckon. Certainly simpler. For me I’d say that focal length dictates the lenses I want:

I just figure my 16-45 goes pretty wide; DA21 is just a perfect lens; 35mm plastic is a great lens and focal length; 50/1.8 plastic likewise; beyond that the (WR) DA50-200 is really versatile, light as anything, with really nice image quality and character, and the Sigma 70-300 (or 100-300, I keep forgetting) if I want something just a bit longer; in the middle there is the Tak Bayonet 135/2.5 which is fun and nice.

Really I’m not sure I can - or wish to - justify any more.
05-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
(or 100-300, I keep forgetting)
LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Really I’m not sure I can - or wish to - justify any more.
That's almost nirvana But seriously... I get your point and although I'm on an uphill of my LBA again, in general I share this approach. What I need are maybe 4-5 lenses, the rest come and go, bring some fun but is not that essential.
05-22-2022, 01:57 PM - 3 Likes   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stills from the sci-fi channels low budget rip off
FEAR THE ROLLING DEAD!!!!!

The darker side of @Tsuken s trolley photography. These are quite possibly beyond redemption
05-22-2022, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

Stills from the sci-fi channels low budget rip off

The darker side of @Tsuken s trolley photography. These are quite possibly beyond redemption
Gods - those are awesome!
05-22-2022, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When there's no more room in the cart return, the trolleys will roam the Earth!
05-23-2022, 03:01 AM   #149
Forum Member

....but then Film photography happened I have gone a bit nuts and bought some beautiful cameras (Yashica Mat, Zeiss Ikoflex, Pentax MX) but it has taken over, for now, and my digital work as a consequence has fallen off a cliff. Maybe I DO need to sic the 40 or 15mm just to redress the balance
I think it's great that you've turned your focus to film Peter. Did I read in one of your comments that you are doing your own processing and scanning? Perhaps you might consider doing a film SIC?

---------- Post added 05-23-22 at 03:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
LOL

That's almost nirvana But seriously... I get your point and although I'm on an uphill of my LBA again, in general I share this approach. What I need are maybe 4-5 lenses, the rest come and go, bring some fun but is not that essential.
Ditto for me. I thought it might verge on heresy around these discussions to express a desire for less, rather than more, lenses. I sometimes feel like I'm getting on top of it, as I keep reducing and am no longer adding to the list. Then I put them all out together and realise that I'm kidding myself. One camera and half a dozen lenses would be ideal for me. I'm actually almost doing the half dozen lenses thing, if you count that half dozen for each of my three cameras. <sigh>
Even sillier is that I'm really not using two of the cameras and their attendant lenses at the moment. But I can't not own a film camera, that would confuse me. And I thought the X-pro3 was a keeper until it dropped.

Last edited by Mikey Floyd; 05-23-2022 at 03:18 AM.
05-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikey Floyd Quote
But I can't not own a film camera, that would confuse me.
Same here. It's been a year since I shot on film but I still keep some rolls in the fridge. At least I made the progress and reduced the Minolta lenses down to only one (so I ended up with one body - one camera only) but it's implausible with the ME Super and a few M lenses which I own.